Hornby 2021 - 9F new tooling

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, davidw said:

The CAD looks good. I suspect the eventual model will be very crisp. Hornbys details tend to be sharper than Bachmann. It will be very interesting to compare them. Difficult with just a CAD.

I pretty much agree. It will be a testament to the quality of Bachmanns model if it and the Hornby model are hard to tell part. I suspect the Hornby model may edge Bachmann on mechanical integrity too - if it has bearings in the chassis it will also outlast it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've just examined a couple of mine (Bachmann 9Fs) against the CAD. Visually I don't think there'll be much in it. What's interesting is the Hornby versions RRP is less than the Bachmann. It really will be interesting to compare these two.

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, davidw said:

I've just examined a couple of mine (Bachmann 9Fs) against the CAD. Visually I don't think there'll be much in it. What's interesting is the Hornby versions RRP is less than the Bachmann. It really will be interesting to compare these two.

Will we see a price reduction by Bachmann as was the case of the GM 66 prior to the release of the Hattons model I wonder?

I've already got 2 Bachmann 9f's and will probably add 2 of the Hornby variants at some stage.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, paul 27 said:

It will be interesting to see who introduces the rebuilt crosti first, i think Hornby

missed out not making there early version in super detail so hopefully Bachmann

may do a retooled version or just rebody there current one.

Engine shed said they have the cad designs available to be able to recreate almost all variants within the 251 locos of the class so hopefully that does include the rebuilt Crosti as well. 

Edited by Hilux5972
Spelling correction
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

Engine shed said they have the cad designs available to be able to recreate almost all variants within the 251 locos of the class so hopefully that does include the rebuilt Crosti as well. 

I believe someone said that it was also mentioned in the recent edition of the Collector's Club Magazine that Hornby are tooling up other variations also like the Consett Iron Ore and Crosti versions

• Agree 1

• AY Mod unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Anyone had their order for one of Hornby's forthcoming BR 9F cancelled randomly by Hatton's with absolutely no reason? I placed my pre-order within 15 mins of them being listed for pre-order by Hattons.

The 9F hasn’t been mentioned, but there’s a whole lot of other Hattons/Hornby woe in the other thread:

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, truffy said:

The 9F hasn’t been mentioned, but there’s a whole lot of other Hattons/Hornby woe in the other thread:

Thank you, now I'm having to spend hours looking for a better retailer to pre-order my stuff. Not Hattons again.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...

New 9F pics on Engine Shed blog. Of interest there appears to be a 'recess' between the frames, rather than the solid look of the previous cads and the Bachmann model. There is a huge wealth of seperate deatil.

Assuming the running plate will be metal, and that assembly will be of highest quality (and things like front frame sections which are seperate parts are properly straight and attached, unlike the recent A2/2 etc), this loco will eclipse the Bachmann version.

Based on current CADS I'm minded to order to replace my (not that old) Bachmann Evening Star, but will hold off for the EPs for a firm order

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

New 9F pics on Engine Shed blog. Of interest there appears to be a 'recess' between the frames, rather than the solid look of the previous cads and the Bachmann model. There is a huge wealth of seperate deatil.

Assuming the running plate will be metal, and that assembly will be of highest quality (and things like front frame sections which are seperate parts are properly straight and attached, unlike the recent A2/2 etc), this loco will eclipse the Bachmann version.

Based on current CADS I'm minded to order to replace my (not that old) Bachmann Evening Star, but will hold off for the EPs for a firm order

Definitely agree about it looking to eclipse the Bachmann model. Interesting to see each of the 5 different tenders. I bought the 66/9F twin set from Locomotion when it was released. I think that 9F will remain in its box when this one arrives! 

On 28/01/2021 at 21:24, davidw said:

After examining the Hornby CAD there is definitely more detail.

• Agree 2

On 27/02/2021 at 03:19, davidw said:

After examining the Hornby CAD there is definitely more detail.

My assessment of Hornby vs Bachmann is that Hornby have tended to do finer detail but are less robust for handling, e.g. compare their Standard Class 4 4-6-0s.  I prefer the Hornby one but it is unwise to buy a second hand one unless it is as new with transit brackets (remember those?)

That said, the Bachmann 4MT Standard 2-6-4T isn't exactly robust, either! :) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, davidw said:

As predicted very crisp details. Hope it okay to add these

Rather confusing of them to ptesent 3D renders, which you can make as sharp as you like, with an actual physical EP. I think only the bottom image is actually the EP.

1 minute ago, spamcan61 said:

Rather confusing of them to ptesent 3D renders, which you can make as sharp as you like, with an actual physical EP. I think only the bottom image is actually the EP.

I think they're all renders except the images of the single chimney fitted 3D print mockup, I see why they've done it as it is easier to see the detail than on the the multi coloured CAD shown previously. 

4 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

They haven't had an EP yet. There's only renders and a 3D printed sample to test the fit of the parts

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Hopefully, lessons will have been learnt with that particular supplier and been addressed for future productions.

At least  most 9fs were black

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5