Hornby 2021 - 9F new tooling

AY Mod

The images certainly suggest that it has proper frames rather than a block...with the amount of daylight under the boiler that detail would be very telling. Looks smashing ...it would nice to have a smoke feature something like this...a pic I took in february 1967 at Chinley South Junction...we could hear it for ages as the fireman threw tons on coal in to keep her going. It was like thunder and had bad steam leaks as is evident. It would be nice if our models could come alive like this...come on Hornby give us some clagg too.1714593303_92104Chinley.jpg.3d90da7f194ebf9099acf50d49cee25e.jpg

• Like 12

If the new 9F has anything like the quality of the new A2s in terms of fine detail, finesse, and also were to receive  good assembly, I shall simply have to buy one or two.   

I had rather thought it would be hard to surpass the Bachmann model, which I think superb, but Hornby do have a knack of making the detail just that little bit finer...   and sometimes more fragile. 

Hornby's 3D moulds look brilliant.

9F_hornby_Image1_1ab_r1784.jpg.e49bc37c7805549752efdc8f9d1ba877.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

18 minutes ago, robmcg said:

If the new 9F has anything like the quality of the new A2s in terms of fine detail, finesse, and also were to receive  good assembly, I shall simply have to buy one or two.   

I had rather thought it would be hard to surpass the Bachmann model, which I think superb, but Hornby do have a knack of making the detail just that little bit finer...   and sometimes more fragile. 

Hornby's 3D moulds look brilliant.

9F_hornby_Image1_1ab_r1784.jpg.e49bc37c7805549752efdc8f9d1ba877.jpg

That is stunning.

• RMweb Premium

As a cautionary aside, pale grey shows up details up much better than black, and comparing this with a black Bachmann model may well prove misleading. I remember being highly impressed by the pale grey EP of the Rails SECR D class, and somewhat disappointed by the liveried versions when they came along. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/03/2021 at 23:47, Downer said:

As a cautionary aside, pale grey shows up details up much better than black, and comparing this with a black Bachmann model may well prove misleading. I remember being highly impressed by the pale grey EP of the Rails SECR D class, and somewhat disappointed by the liveried versions when they came along. 

Probably why locos were painted in works grey or photographic grey for there official pictures (picks out detail better).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, sandwich station said:

Probably why locos were painted in works grey or photographic grey for there official pictures (picks out detail better).

That and cameras of the time showed more detail in that colour. 

It's some way off before the final product, or at least the EP's appear.

I have my Bachmann ES 92220 out at the moment, and it does look superb - with very nice paintwork and acceptable lining.

I too am curious how the 2 will compare.

Al.

I really in two minds on ordering. My Bachmann 92220 is fantastic, if a little off on the shade of green (second batch model). The Hornby model looks fantastic, especially the between frame detail which was one of the few poor points on the Bachmann 9F.

If the Hornby model comes out with a top notch build quality AND green colouring (i.e. not like the A2, King and a few others recent BR green models), I will buy it. But if I wait and see, there may be non left to order...!

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, atom3624 said:

If not a cast complete body, let's hope there's at least a decent metal running plate, and weight 'in-filled' where possible to maximise traction.

Al.

Going by the CAD drawing the running board is certainly a seperate part to the boiler and cab, so it could be metal...

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

View inside the cab looks absolutely stunning - latest pictures just issued today.

Al.

Drawings always look amazing. We shall see if they are able to fully translate that to model form. 

On 25/06/2021 at 17:21, Hilux5972 said:

We shall see IF they are able to fully translate that to model form. 

And why would it not fully translate into model form? It's not like they haven't done it before. And they're literally showing you the artwork

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Agree 3

36 minutes ago, OliverBytham said:

Where can I find the new images please Al?

There are some computer generated images on the latest Hornby Engine Shed blog.

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/marked-progress?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Marked Progress!&utm_campaign=Hornby - Engine Shed - Week 13 2021%2F2022

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Thanks 2

• 5 months later...
23 minutes ago, Markn said:

Has anyone seen any updates on these recently?

Nope. And Hornby website stating Winter 2022 for these, so on that basis, 12 months from now.

However we have not yet seen a tooled EP yet, let alone livery samples, so I would suggest realistically it might slip into 2023. Normally a gap of about 9-12 months between livery samples and production arriving.

Hopefully I've just placed a pre-order for Evening Star

I'm wondering if I want to get 92197 for renumbering into 92212; the BR1F tender is a damn impressive vehicle.

However I should also prioritise replacing my second Bachmann 9F as Bluebell-based 92240 with a d/c 1c variant (a detail mix not offered in the first batch by Hornby*) so should probably save my pennies...

I would also quite like a model of 92134 in preserved single chimney form, is it is something a little different.

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Informative/Useful 2