Hornby 2021 - 9F new tooling

AY Mod

15 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I feel a great opportunity was lost by not announcing a Tyne Dock and a rebuilt Crosti versions.  Do we really need another “Evening Star”?

Hopefully, these versions will appear in 2022.

Do WE as modellers need a new "Evening star", probably not,but to justify 92167 & 92194 which will sell to modellers Hornby need  something Joe Public will buy "Evening star". This makes thw whole 9F project economically viable in the eyes of Hornby.

Edited by CUTLER2579
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Joe Public will buy "Evening star"

The only 9Fs I'd consider are preserved ones. Only reason ES hasn't been ordered yet is just because I am thinking how badly I want it given in real life it will probably never run again, it's one of my favourite steam locos but prototypically doesn't exist on a 2020/1 layout. If it was one currently running I'd have ordered already.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, TomScrut said:

The only 9Fs I'd consider are preserved ones. Only reason ES hasn't been ordered yet is just because I am thinking how badly I want it given in real life it will probably never run again, it's one of my favourite steam locos but prototypically doesn't exist on a 2020/1 layout. If it was one currently running I'd have ordered already.

Technically it is very recent, considering 92214 was renamed and renumbered to represent her on the GCR

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

If you want a BR green 9F you're spoiled for choice. Naturally there's Hornby's version. There's also Bachmann's version - the NRM edition is still available from Locomotion Models for £169. Or if you fancy 92214 instead, that's an option from the Bachmann Collectors Club for £190.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MattA said:

There's also Bachmann's version - the NRM edition is still available from Locomotion Models for £169. Or if you fancy 92214 instead, that's an option from the Bachmann Collectors Club for £190.

Yes, I just think they are dear for what they are nowadays, moreso 92214 than 92220. I am expecting this will be a decent step up (it will have to be for them to find it worth doing IMO).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Yes, I just think they are dear for what they are nowadays, moreso 92214 than 92220. I am expecting this will be a decent step up (it will have to be for them to find it worth doing IMO).

Absolutely will be a step up. It’s 15 years newer to start with. Manufacturing processes have majorly tightened up in 15 years. Detail is so much finer now. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I too am rather agnostic about this one and my biggest hope is that it turns out ok and isn't rushed if it is little more than a CAD at this stage.  On the variants announced thus far there isn't one for me anyway but the makings are there if 92220 is released instead as a black liveried version. (Yes, I admit my bias for WR allocated engines ;) ). 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, peteskitchen said:

Seems that it's a missed opportunity to waste the effort of a new model of something there there is already a good model instead of filling a gap, for example a 3mt 2-6-0 to go along with the lovely looking 2mt 2-6-0.

Ah, but Hornby have long had a 9F in their range (in various guises) so updating it isn't the end of the world and it's a lot more impressive ('big steam' once again) than all the thus far untouched Standards

Edited by The Stationmaster
typo
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

I dont think Hornby will be able to 'step up' significantly on the Bachmann model as the latter is pretty much spot on in any case. More it will be the Hornby take of a 9F to modern Hornby standards so apart from things like tender pick ups (and in my experience a multi wheeled loco with  long chassis doesnt need them) and making DCC even easier to fit there isn't much Hornby can add that Bachmann dont already do. It will be broadly down to a straight choice between whether you prefer the blue or the red box.

Of course if you dont mind dabbling in the second hand market there are a lot of Bachmann 9F's to be had, usually for less than £100..... 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I dont think Hornby will be able to 'step up' significantly on the Bachmann model as the latter is pretty much spot on in any case. More it will be the Hornby take of a 9F to modern Hornby standards so apart from things like tender pick ups (and in my experience a multi wheeled loco with  long chassis doesnt need them) and making DCC even easier to fit there isn't much Hornby can add that Bachmann dont already do.

Yes but Hornby are doing detail variations with the first batch, which bodes well for future releases. Bachmann never did a version that has a mechanical stoker, Paul Isles said he saw Consett loco drawings before he left and that’s another variation Bachmann have never done. 15 years of refining manufacturing will result in detail being so much finer and better as well. 

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

They were removed fairly quickly.

Damned by an inability to provide appropriately screened coal IIRC. The screw feed stokers either got jammed by large lumps or fed too much dust which would go straight up the chimney. The original intention was for Saltley to use them on fitted freights over the S&C but a black 5 in good fettle could do the job....

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Ah, but Hornby have long had a 9F in their range (in various guises) so updating it isn't the end of the world and it's a lot more impressive ('big steam' once again) than all the thus far untouched Standards

Plus they're the only other BR Standard class tender locomotive with a wide route availability other than the Class 2MT 2-6-0s so they work better for a wider amount of layout options over the other br standard tender classes.

8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I too am rather agnostic about this one and my biggest hope is that it turns out ok and isn't rushed if it is little more than a CAD at this stage.  On the variants announced thus far there isn't one for me anyway but the makings are there if 92220 is released instead as a black liveried version. (Yes, I admit my bias for WR allocated engines ;) ). 

I wonder if Hornby will offer a weathered version of the 9F, to match the Bachmann factory-weathered 92044 BRIC tender, 92185 BRIF,  92189 BRIF, and 92233 BRIG are re all about as good as factory weathering gets, in my opinion very good.

As to WR 9Fs 92002 and 92006 were early Bachmann offerings, pristine.

Here is a typical Bachmann factory job, Hattons photo.

92189_9F_32-858-PO08_20200827_3598898_Qty1_1a.jpg.cfd4275a981c2645e17364e3ee964258.jpg

As mentioned these engine go for UKP80-150 s/h on Ebay.

I look forward to an even better version from Hornby, and it is after all a part of the Hornby heritage and history to have a state-of-the-art version.

Edited by robmcg
typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, robmcg said:

are re all about as good as factory weathering gets, in my opinion very good.

The issue with factory weathering IMO is that it cuts out the enitre market of people who want to buy pristine or weather themselves. I don't really understand why it's a thing really.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

The other problem is that Hornby pristine isn't pristine - it's dull, matt finish.

Broken record time, but Bachmann get pristine MUCH better than Hornby more often than not.

Locos don't return from fresh paint / full washdown with spotless matt paint, it's shiny.

We agree that full gloss doesn't work at OO scale, but a decent satin sheen does - Bachmann get this right.

Al.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

The issue with factory weathering IMO is that it cuts out the enitre market of people who want to buy pristine or weather themselves. I don't really understand why it's a thing really.

Some of us don't have the skill or inclination to weather a pristine model, and of course Bachmann produce or have produced many of both types.  I have several of both.  

I also sometimes have a go at weathering but I'm not able to equal the standard of the 9Fs Bachmann weathers. 

I'll be very pleased to see the Hornby tour de force..   if anyone has the art of high quality 00 RTR it's them, even though Bachmann have recently done astonishingly well with such as their 1P 0-4-4T.

• Like 2

One thing that Hornby could improve over Bachmann (I have 3, one has a Hornby Crosti body) is the addition of chassis hole and associated ring up the front for lifting the loco.

Not easy to add with those smoke deflectors in the way. Would be interested to hear if anyone has managed it

27 minutes ago, Mark Hamlin said:

One thing that Hornby could improve over Bachmann (I have 3, one has a Hornby Crosti body) is the addition of chassis hole and associated ring up the front for lifting the loco.

Not easy to add with those smoke deflectors in the way. Would be interested to hear if anyone has managed it

Yes.

Iain

1 hour ago, robmcg said:

Some of us don't have the skill or inclination to weather a pristine model, and of course Bachmann produce or have produced many of both types.  I have several of both.  

My point was not really aimed at people buying weathered models more that they cut out a large part of the market with those sorts of announcements, especially Bachmann where they may do a single wagon of a type in a year and it's weathered.

People can buy a pristine model and weather it themselves or get somebody else to do it, so a pristine model doesn't automatically rule out a model for those who must have everything weathered on their layout. Obviously professional weathering may make it unviable but it gets beyond seeing if the listing is weathered or not before being ruled out (i.e. consideration occurs)

Those of us who only buy pristine, either because they want pristine, want to weather it themselves or want to get it weathered professionally to a higher standard than factory are pretty much ruled out automatically of a factory weathered listing I'd say.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

We agree that full gloss doesn't work at OO scale, but a decent satin sheen does - Bachmann get this right.

I agree, but I do think the slightly more glossy finish on my NRM Evening Star (66 not 9F) does look good. Any more glossy and it wouldn't.

I feel it is quite a risk doing this loco. If we look at the Nelson's and Princess Coronations, many of the first runs ended up in the bargains section. I brought Nelson class "Lord Rodney" to complement my older Bachmann "Lord Nelson". There was something like 25 years between the two model designs. "Lord Rodney" had early front end while "Lord Nelson" was later. Yes, the Hornby model was better everywhere, but the disparity did not look much from normal viewing distances on a layout.

I had hoped at the time that Hornby would release the TTS chip to upgrade Rodney to DCC sound. This has not been released yet. But what did happen was that the TTS fitted Hornby "Lord Nelson" entered the bargain centre. So I brought one and the Bachmann model was withdrawn from service!

The thing is I have 2 Bachmann 9Fs, which are far more superior and recent designs than their Nelson. On the one hand, the Hornby brand may make them sell well especially covering features not done by Bachmann. On the other hand, I suspect many people are quite happy with their existing Bachmann models and may not rush to upgrade them.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

On 05/01/2021 at 12:00, The Black Hat said:

Hoping that the 9F will have dcc socket put into the tender to allow easy installation of sound and speaker. Should be automatic that now on new models. 

Surely with that long boiler a Speaker can go under the Chimney area, Sounds a lot better to that coming from the rear of the loco!

I have the Baccy Evening Star, A last treat for myself just before I left the Model Shop Job and very nice it is too and I will be keeping that as the one and only 9F I will be getting.

Good luck to Hornby with their one.