Hornby 2021 - Revised tooling A1 and A3

AY Mod

With this mild revamp and the new 1928 corridor tender as tooled for the W1 there's future potential for Flying Scotsman in first non-stop run guise (and all the other non-stop A1s/A3s) plus - hopefully - 2750 Papyrus in 108mph record condition. I'd earmarked my A3 Firdaussi for renumbering and a tender swap to create that; will be interesting to see if Hornby does a version off the shelf in time. 

• Round of applause 1

On 05/01/2021 at 11:40, 2750Papyrus said:

Hornby, you'll get in trouble if you don't decide between Knight of the Thistle and Knight of Thistle!

The loco carried both names at various stages of it's life. When new (as No. 2564) in 1924 and until December 1932 it was named KNIGHT OF THE THISTLE. New KNIGHT OF THISTLE nameplates were cast and these remained on the loco until withdrawal in 1964. The new name Knight of Thistle was wrong for both the racehorse (winner of the 1897 Royal Hunt Cup) and the Scottish noble Order of the Thistle. At least BR got it right on 87014! On the subject of the press release it is good to see No. 45 has LEMBERG plates on the loco, not LEMBURG as in the header.

Edited by sirwilliamfrs
correction
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, sirwilliamfrs said:

No explanation has been found for the incorrect replacement.

Erm there was a reason given on the previous page of this very thread...

"2564's use of 'Knight of the Thistle' apparently came to the notice of Lord Lyon, King of Arms in Scotland, and incurred his displeasure."

1 hour ago, JamieR4489 said:

Erm there was a reason given on the previous page of this very thread...

"2564's use of 'Knight of the Thistle' apparently came to the notice of Lord Lyon, King of Arms in Scotland, and incurred his displeasure."

In a strange way he was probably right, but not in that context.

You use KT after your title. Like KG for Knight of (the) Garter.

Certainly wrong for the racehorse.

https://www.allbreedpedigree.com/knight+of+the+thistle

Interesting looking at the racehorses and seeing how many of the LNER/BR Pacific and later Deltic "names" were related.

Jason

9 hours ago, Ribird said:

Wasn't 'Lemburg' rebuilt as an A3 in 1927? So shouldn't R30087 be an A3 tooling, not A1? (Yes that's the R code, even checked over at Kernow)

The model of Lemberg LOOKS correct for the livery- it was rebuilt as one of the A3 prototypes.

The superheater header is correct for it as an A3.

ALSO correct is that it is right-hand drive, which all of the A3 rebuilds were until the early fifties. NEW BUILD A3s were left-hand drive as built.

Likewise the round-dome 94HP boiler is correct.  Lemberg received a later 94A boiler for the first time in 1949.

As the person who, when asked by Dapol "Which A3 do you think we should do" replied "Lemberg" it is nice to see her in another incarnation.  

Les

(three other of Dapol's A3s were also my suggestion- Papyrus, Grand Parade and Flying Fox -  each of these three also have their own historic interest)

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

On 16/12/2020 at 12:10, AY Mod said:

In 1946 ‘Flying Scotsman’ was rebuilt to A3 class specification and emerged in January 1947 having been renumbered by LNER as No. 103. In December 1948 ‘Flying Scotsman’ was once again renumbered as a result of the nationalisation of the railways, becoming No. 60103. BR Painted the locomotive in a stunning BR Express Blue livery which was retained until 1954. 

Slide73.JPG

Flying Scotsman is depicted in BR green but still with right-hand drive. It was only in this condition for a couple of years in 1952-4. Contrary to the notes above, it did not retain blue livery until 1954 but was repainted green in 1952, whilst retaining right-hand drive. It was converted to left-hand drive in 1954 and I believe received the late emblem on general overhaul at Doncaster in mid-1957.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 07/01/2021 at 20:53, robertcwp said:

Flying Scotsman is depicted in BR green but still with right-hand drive. It was only in this condition for a couple of years in 1952-4. Contrary to the notes above, it did not retain blue livery until 1954 but was repainted green in 1952, whilst retaining right-hand drive. It was converted to left-hand drive in 1954 and I believe received the late emblem on general overhaul at Doncaster in mid-1957.

If it received a late crest in 1957 it would most likely have been facing forwards on both sides of the tender, then corrected at next shopping in 1958 or 1959.

Les

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Just to correct the above posting reference is made in the introductory text to the Steam locomotives section.

I was just thinking the same - to the casual observer there is nothing to suggest this is a new model. That said I'm not really sure that it is - seems they are only replacing the plastic footplate with a diecast (presumably because whatever is causing the 'ski jump' of recent runs of the model is not easily fixed) plus the current fad for 'firebox glow'. 

Edited by MikeParkin65

I would think it's a new tooling in the same way the LMS Duchesses were.

I assume it's got virtually a new chassis with electrics for the firebox glow and whatever DCC fittings are current, new running plate, new tender chassis with speaker, probably had a bit of a slight "going over" of the rest, etc.

Still based on the previous model, but not really much left over from it.

Jason

• AY Mod unpinned this topic
  • 9 months later...
6 hours ago, OliverBytham said:

At last, some pictures of the actual revised tooling A1s and A3s:

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/diecast-developments-footplates-and-fire

deleted- I thought Lemberg was modelled with wrong side drive but I'm wrong.....

Les

Edited by Les1952

• 5 months later...

Has anyone got a BR green version yet. I've only seen photos so far. Can anyone comment on the lining. In photos. The lower lining on the tender looks too high. And. S little yellow? Can anyone clarify? Thanks

The lining on my "Flying Scotsman" seems fine. On a different  note the "flickering firebox " effect on my model of  "Doncaster " has failed this afternoon.  Interestingly enough this effect was much brighter on this model than any of the other three

Not that I am particularly bothered as I regard this as a gimmick and not really prototypical as you don't hve the firebox doors open  constantly.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 11/05/2022 at 18:15, davidw said:

Has anyone got a BR green version yet. I've only seen photos so far. Can anyone comment on the lining. In photos. The lower lining on the tender looks too high. And. S little yellow? Can anyone clarify? Thanks

Please see attached video from Hornby magazine:-https://youtu.be/djDXDa0Ddyw

What's not so good with regard to the model shown in the video, is the paint chips on the front buffer beam and the rough finish on the back of the tender.

This really shouldn't be happening on a model with an RRP in excess of £250 !

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Black 5 Bear said:

What's not so good with regard to the model shown in the video, is the paint chips on the front buffer beam and the rough finish on the back of the tender.

At least two seperate models shown in the video , one has no chip on the Bufferbeam. One model , also has a very poor fit between the Cab/Firebox  and Footplate. Did BR line out the rear of the Tender as well ?

Edit

Hopefully they are presumably samples , not the finished item.

Edited by micklner
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, micklner said:

At least two seperate models shown in the video , one has no chip on the Bufferbeam. One model , also has a very poor fit between the Cab/Firebox  and Footplate. Did BR line out the rear of the Tender as well ?

Three by my reckoning and as you say poor boiler to running plate fitment.

I've seen one in the flesh at Model Junction in Bury St Edmunds recently and it really did look magnificent.

None of the aforementioned faults were apparent on the display model.

Pot luck again as to whether or not you get a good one !

• Like 1

Actually there is an error on Knight of the Thistle.  As a North British built loco the reversing  rod should have a dipped section but it is straight on the model, just like the Doncaster built examples. 

Edited by Trevor Hammond
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Just noticed they also appear to have changed the driving wheels on FS, much thicker (and better imho) metal tyres than the old tooling. Anyone know if they're the same (but painted) on the LNER versions?

Hoping they might also appear on the upcoming coronation A4s. 

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Trevor Hammond said:

The lining on my "Flying Scotsman" seems fine. On a different  note the "flickering firebox " effect on my model of  "Doncaster " has failed this afternoon.  Interestingly enough this effect was much brighter on this model than any of the other three

Not that I am particularly bothered as I regard this as a gimmick and not really prototypical as you don't hve the firebox doors open  constantly.  

Which is fine ..provided its failure didn’t cause a short interfering with the model’s performance.As posted previously,my 2564 “smoked out” on first outing in several plumes of fumes and had to be shut down as it in any case it was running poorly . However,strangely,it has since agreed to behave.The loco runs well and the firebox is aglow. Explain that if you will. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1