Hornby 2021 - Ruston & Hornsby 88DS

AY Mod

rh84.jpg.41fce00e0518dc2e3bb6a41f29d0ecaf.jpg

Regarding the BR NE Region Civil Engineer's version,  numbered 84 (above) - I hope what we are seeing in the pictures is only a computer-generated image because they have got that one wrong. The Hornby image shows it as the 20-ton version, with the side weights but all those supplied to the NE Region were 17-ton (without the side weights) and I have photographic evidence  to back this up on 82,83, 84 and 85.

• Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, nathan70000 said:

Actually the DVLR is very model-able and I'm surprised it's not more popular. Out of the current roster we have the two Rustons as well as the blue 03 from Bachmann. Presumably it would be easy to renumber it as 03079.

Going back a bit, they used 04s repainted in company livery as well as loaned 08s (I think?). The preserved J72 and Hardwicke operated excursion trains, again from the Bachmann stable.

Oh I agree about it being a good plan for modelling- Paul Lunn did an excellent article in Model Rail some years ago. We rode the line a couple of times back in 2019, nice atmosphere and a surprising amount crammed into a small site. Pretty much a prototype micro layout with set-track :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, nathan70000 said:

Actually the DVLR is very model-able and I'm surprised it's not more popular. Out of the current roster we have the two Rustons as well as the blue 03 from Bachmann. Presumably it would be easy to renumber it as 03079.

Going back a bit, they used 04s repainted in company livery as well as loaned 08s (I think?). The preserved J72 and Hardwicke operated excursion trains, again from the Bachmann stable.

03079 is one of those with a cut down cab to fit under a bridge on the IOW from when it was allocated there for engineering work. You'd have to repaint the NSE liveried 03179, which was the other cut down IOW one (the model sort of reflects that, though the cab windows don't go quite high enough), and remove the air braking equipment (079 vac only, 179 dual).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/01/2021 at 17:20, doctor quinn said:

Well since you mention it - matching prototype stock 

E82926B9-B42E-4483-93B0-97B4AD8B1013.jpeg

There was also this, which like most of the redundant Rowntree's stock was passed to the NYMR. If memory serves it was painted light grey.

http://www.ws.rhrp.org.uk/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=7361

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Oh, and before the arrival of the 21t hoppers, Rowntree's had several of these. Three of them also went to the Moors, where one was cannibalised for spares, one donated its underframe to a cattle wagon body, and one was vac fitted for the transport of shed ash from Grosmont to New Bridge before being sold to Rocks by Rail. It is now at Hunsbury Hill.  

https://www.rocks-by-rail.org/2013/01/18/wagon-reveals-its-spots-hopper-update-ii-2/

http://www.ws.rhrp.org.uk/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=7359

Edited by papagolfjuliet
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 06/01/2021 at 14:30, Ruston said:

rh84.jpg.41fce00e0518dc2e3bb6a41f29d0ecaf.jpg

Regarding the BR NE Region Civil Engineer's version,  numbered 84 (above) - I hope what we are seeing in the pictures is only a computer-generated image because they have got that one wrong. The Hornby image shows it as the 20-ton version, with the side weights but all those supplied to the NE Region were 17-ton (without the side weights) and I have photographic evidence  to back this up on 82,83, 84 and 85.

If it's inaccurate, then I'll feel less heretical about buying one and scraping "NORTH" off the sides...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, papagolfjuliet said:

Oh, and before the arrival of the 21t hoppers, Rowntree's had several of these. Three of them also went to the Moors, where one was cannibalised for spares, one donated its underframe to a cattle wagon body, and one was vac fitted for the transport of shed ash from Grosmont to New Bridge before being sold to Rocks by Rail. It is now at Hunsbury Hill.  

https://www.rocks-by-rail.org/2013/01/18/wagon-reveals-its-spots-hopper-update-ii-2/

http://www.ws.rhrp.org.uk/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=7359

That’s interesting, I did wonder what Rowntrees used before second hand HTOs. The HTOs were used to move coal from a stockpile to the boiler house.

• Like 2

I missed this until i saw it in Railway Modeller-

But I've already got one....

1707523520_rhpic1.jpg.ff2a04c171f5b5b467c6e54379929ce1.jpg

Having said that, even stuffed full of lead it isn't really heavy enough to cope with odd track deficiencies- with hindsight perhaps I should have sacrificed some weight for a stay alive.

I wonder if there will be room for a stay alive in the Hornby one.  With my track it would need it....

Les

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

I missed this until i saw it in Railway Modeller-

But I've already got one....

1707523520_rhpic1.jpg.ff2a04c171f5b5b467c6e54379929ce1.jpg

Having said that, even stuffed full of lead it isn't really heavy enough to cope with odd track deficiencies- with hindsight perhaps I should have sacrificed some weight for a stay alive.

I wonder if there will be room for a stay alive in the Hornby one.  With my track it would need it....

Les

There's room in the 48DS for a stay alive so it shouldn't be a problem.

8 hours ago, BJMorley said:

Lets hope Hornby get the 'Ferret & Dartboard' the right way round for the release on No.84.... 

Also confirmed is @Ruston's point about the side weights, this photo does have them distinctively lacking. 

No 84 BR Ruston 88DS

Brandon.

And the front of the engine casing isn't painted black, as the Hornby model seems to be. I can't think why Hornby would paint this black, even if the loco did have it at some time. If they cover the front with black then any one could do that for themselves, if they wish, but how many of us can apply lining to a high enough standard to match the rest of the model?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ruston said:

And the front of the engine casing isn't painted black, as the Hornby model seems to be. I can't think why Hornby would paint this black, even if the loco did have it at some time. If they cover the front with black then any one could do that for themselves, if they wish, but how many of us can apply lining to a high enough standard to match the rest of the model?

Even clearer on this : -

1248510570_DEPARTMENTALNER84_01.jpg.9aafbd428152f301e1d1ff2c75ead75a.jpg

(Copyright unknown)

John Isherwood.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

The NER engineer ones look like they're painted in the standard Ruston lined green livery, with BR lettering applied on top. So should these and the Rowntree ones be painted the same shade of green?

I'd agree with that - the photographs suggest a green far closer to LNER rather than GWR.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Even clearer on this : -

1248510570_DEPARTMENTALNER84_01.jpg.9aafbd428152f301e1d1ff2c75ead75a.jpg

(Copyright unknown)

John Isherwood.

Interesting that the photo is not, as I suspected, one of the loco as just delivered - there is a nasty great dent on the corner of the radiator housing.

This suggests that at least part of the loco has been repainted / relined in the standard Ruston livery.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

The NER engineer ones look like they're painted in the standard Ruston lined green livery, with BR lettering applied on top. So should these and the Rowntree ones be painted the same shade of green?

A selection of crops from unedited photographs to (hopefully) help you decide...

Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 17.06.35.png

Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 17.07.02.png

Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 17.07.49.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Interesting that the photo is not, as I suspected, one of the loco as just delivered - there is a nasty great dent on the corner of the radiator housing.

This suggests that at least part of the loco has been repainted / relined in the standard Ruston livery.

John Isherwood.

Is it a dent? It might be a reflection like on the other side panels.

2 hours ago, Islesy said:

A selection of crops from unedited photographs to (hopefully) help you decide...

Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 17.06.35.png

Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 17.07.02.png

Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 17.07.49.png

The light green lining on 83 certainly suggests standard Ruston & Hornsby livery of the time.

• Like 1