Hornby 2021 - Ruston & Hornsby 88DS

AY Mod

Guest Jack Benson

Sorry to ask the obvious but has there been an announcement on a possible release date?

I’ll get me coat

StaySafe

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, johnd said:

That could mean January/February or December! 

I’m afraid they most likely mean end of next year as they aren’t on the list on the coming soon page where the W1 due in Dec to Jan etc are listed as Winter 21/22 

Slide the filter to just Winter https://uk.Hornby.com/catalogue/coming-soon?winter=true&page=1

B1164E82-8474-4FBF-9B38-600E625882F1.jpeg.bc3486a7f7c6612d68136e9537a2cf9a.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

I’m afraid they most likely mean end of next year as they aren’t on the list on the coming soon page where the W1 due in Dec to Jan etc are listed as Winter 21/22 

Slide the filter to just Winter https://uk.Hornby.com/catalogue/coming-soon?winter=true&page=1

Interestingly, the page listing all 88DSs says pre-order for Winter 21/22 - so somewhere the wires are crossed.

Roy

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

The locos have been removed from the coming soon page. The individual model pages now state 'Expected Winter 2023'.

Hornby really need to sort out their terminology. Winter 22/23 is clear enough but if you put winter 23 do you mean in the new year 22/23 or winter starting in 23?!? There’s a 9 month difference ;) 

• Agree 4

There are in total 19 loco's that are now stated for winter 2023

class 800

Peckett 2x

Ruston 4x

SR H class 2x

SR Nelson 3x

BR 2MT    5x

LNER  J36 2x

Well these were for 2020 announcements, in winter 2023 then they are 36 months on there way, 

Wondering what announcements Hornby makes for 2022 and when these will arrive.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Cor-onGRT4 said:

There are in total 19 loco's that are now stated for winter 2023

class 800

Peckett 2x

Ruston 4x

SR H class 2x

SR Nelson 3x

BR 2MT    5x

LNER  J36 2x

Well these were for 2020 announcements, in winter 2023 then they are 36 months on there way, 

Wondering what announcements Hornby makes for 2022 and when these will arrive.

Time for one of the "New Boys" on the block" to capitalise on these delays and produce an up to date 21st century Black 5, 8F or Rebuilt Merchant Navy.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

With these now bumped back two years from the original July 21dates I think Hornby’s we will announce it and produce it the same year is lagging a bit more than just shipping and production due to covid ;)

1DB339F7-C856-498E-9306-024D222FC50B.jpeg.910a0a0bfd9492b9bc4d2b1873a07ae8.jpeg

So will things announced in January be restricted to get things back on line I wonder or will we see dates for 2024 on a few? Well something nice to look forward to! ;) 

• Agree 3

Hornby seem to heading to where Bachmann were/still are in many respects. Maybe the red box lot will adopt the same approach and start to only announce items when they are ready for release. The recent tv program re we need to do a new HST to ward off competition presumably will mean the HST will jump the queue and the seemingly hasty announcement of Lion simply because Rapido were just about to can only have caused further delays all round. Then there is the issue that the UK market is tiny compared to the USA and a Chinese factory getting a huge order from the USA is going to give it priority; a problem that Bachmann UK have had.  For years they have no control it seems over what is produced when; quite often the expected release dates of different versions of a model have been spread through the year when in practice all or most turn up together simply because having set the tooling up it makes sense for the factory to make all the models on order. Too much hype and no reality in product annoucements, and touch more time making certain liveries look right would be better than announcing yet more models often duplicating large chunks of what is already available.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I can only thank goodness Hornby have produced nothing of interest for GE modellers for ages so I have nothing outstanding to be delayed.

Situation is a mess outside their control, but I worry about their "toy" efforts - playtrain - steampunk - for example. Must dilute manufacturing capacity and if they fail to sell...? Remember those stupid Olympic mascots?

The hobby is facing a crisis - prices at the lower end are outside kids' reach, and the marvellous new DCC locos are for richer men than this old pensioner.

Thankfully I have more than enough stock to see out my old age

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, RAYTHEROCK said:

Thankfully I have more than enough stock to see out my old age

Whoopee do for you.

An irrelevant post that adds absolutely nothing to the topic about an 88DS.

Wind it in please.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

I’m disappointed to learn that the 88DS is going to take longer to arrive than expected - I’ve already placed my order (reservation) at my nearest model shop as I like to support local businesses plus ensure my nearest shop continues to trade. For me, it is a delay in acquiring a model, but for the shop that means a delay in revenue, which could have an impact upon whether it remains in business long enough to supply the future model.

Of course, I don’t actually need an 88DS, but as a shunting loco addict it has already entered into my consciousness as something I really want!!

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/08/2021 at 23:05, DavidBird said:

Just a suggestion, but if anybody is considering the "North British", please consider ordering from the custodians of the original, the Fife Heritage Railway.

Although they are selling for the full RRP pf £94, rather than a discounted price, there is more than £10 worth of goodies in their goodie-bag.

And, most importantly, their retailer mark-up will be going to the railway and their ongoing restoration and care of the real thing.

(No connection, other than as a visitor)

https://www.facebook.com/fifeheritagerailway/posts/4810055909010580

Email from FHR this morning, apologising for further delay on these.  The release date is now put back to October 2022.

They still have 4 of the "North British" available.  When they do arrive, they will be holding the price at £94, despite the recent announced £10 increase from Hornby.

So if anybody want a "North British", contact them at the FB address above, use the "contact us" at https://www.fifeheritagerailway.co.uk/ or email (FAO James Rankin) at enquiries@fifeheritagerailway.com

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 months later...

I’m seriously interested in buying one of the forthcoming BR Departmental 84 version of this model but am somewhat confused by the image on the Hornby website - it’s shown with a (to me) dodgy lining out scheme - having looked at the picture of the Rowntrees version, 84 appears to be in the same livery (with lining), less the Rowntrees decals and with the BR Civil Engineers etc added. A case of dodgy photo shopping perhaps? 

If 84 is in the correct livery I’m very interested to have one! Does anyone know? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MidlandRed said:

I’m seriously interested in buying one of the forthcoming BR Departmental 84 version of this model but am somewhat confused by the image on the Hornby website - it’s shown with a (to me) dodgy lining out scheme - having looked at the picture of the Rowntrees version, 84 appears to be in the same livery (with lining), less the Rowntrees decals and with the BR Civil Engineers etc added. A case of dodgy photo shopping perhaps? 

If 84 is in the correct livery I’m very interested to have one! Does anyone know? 

What's dodgy about it? Apart from the black-painted front end It looks like standard R&H livery and lining to me.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MidlandRed said:

This photo of 82 appeared in the Interesting and Inspiring Images from Flickr thread - it’s in standard BR green. I can’t see why 84 would be in lined Ruston livery.

EC53ECA5-005E-46EC-851F-EFBFE9CA8949.jpeg.b85cba2a1e91aa01694068e6a5c1b892.jpeg

What you are looking at there is not the original livery.

68106313_DEPARTMENTALER83.jpg.020c873a82e5d34cf28024dd9582bac6.jpg

Copyright unknown

Look closely - the faded remains of the lining, as per Hornby's model, are present.

..... and here https://railphotoprints.uk/p852530460/h959512F7#h959512f7

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1