Hornby 2021 - Ruston & Hornsby 88DS

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Simon Bendall said:

In preservation, 421415 has vandal protection boards fitted over the windows, which are finished in the body colour. These were on were surveyed by Hornby. Join the dots 🙄

41 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

You would think that someone entrusted with surveying a prototype loco would have been able to detect temporary fixtures!

Did it not occur to ANYONE during the design and approval process that there was an odd lack of provision for side and rear-view visibility?

What have I previously posted about Hornby and a lack of railway knowledge - (swiftly rebutted by one of our Moderators)?!?

CJI.

If it was the 1st April we'd presumably be thinking something along the lines of what a good joke.

As it's not the 1st April the only appropriate reactions are "Really?!" and "Oh FFS".

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

While it can be tempting to take a pop at Hornby, might I suggest forum members are mindful of the 2016 Shooting Fish in a Barrel Act 🫣

Nope! If they insist on making fools of themselves, it comes with the territory!

CJI.

• Agree 2

34 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Hang on... I haven't seen a photo of the cab rear on this particular model. Have they really done it without rear windows?

Kernow's rear view of the model shows the glazing having been overpainted before insertion.

Perhaps Hornby will choose the Fowler 0-4-0DM for their next small diesel shunter - if they were to come along to St Blazey to survey 'Peter' (love that wooden nameplate, very.....rustic!) I would hope that its current owner (M-Power Kernow) assists by removing those chipboard panels.......just in case.......😉!

20231229_160054.jpg.ef4bd0283da26262c3d9ffab6fb6974e.jpg

OK, that's a bit harsh - delete, delete <submit>....d'oh!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, spamcan61 said:

Clear from the image here there are just recesses in the cab rear where the windows should be:-

https://www.hattons.co.uk/619181/hornby_r3894_ruston_88ds_4wdm_diesel_shunter_north_british_distillery_ltd_as_preserved/stockdetail

As the windows, at the rear at least, appear to be painted over it might be possible to remove the paint. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

It's not rocket science though is it. 

This is a fundamental error which should have been picked up way before production. EPs etc  must have passed though mutiple hands and been viewed many time. Surely someone must have noticed and asked a seemingly obvious question.....

On the one hand, their 2MT shows exactly what Hornby are capable of. On the other, this shows exactly what Hornby are capable of...............

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, HExpressD said:

Presumably based off of this image, although interesting to note the caption does list the loco as 'shunting' with them fitted, so if they can do it in real life presumably no bother when aided by the hand of god (or electronic equivalents)

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/57/884/

I can't believe that shunting with rearward and side visibility blocked can comply with safe operating procedures.

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

A search of the internet finds these.

Photos by Adam Clark. 

2023-05-01.jpg.a097f0259bd692fa8b089ef93b69807b.jpg

images.jpeg.c4cfca3f7acb9e2fa7578c9dd79b176c.jpeg

Happy to remove if any objections received. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 3

Fortunately the glazing is just painted over - I've taken the bold step of guinea-pigging removing the paint and it comes off just fine leaving the glazing underneath (using, of all things, toothpaste and a cotton buds - my ruston will also be the most minty fresh of all)

The side 'windows' (if they still count as windows when painted over) have actually got some nice lining on so I may leave them as is. My conscience is happy with the rear windows clear as I think the little 1/76th high drivers would find that sufficient.

Will

20240410_222610.jpg

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Willl said:

Fortunately the glazing is just painted over - I've taken the bold step of guinea-pigging removing the paint and it comes off just fine leaving the glazing underneath (using, of all things, toothpaste and a cotton buds - my ruston will also be the most minty fresh of all)

The side 'windows' (if they still count as windows when painted over) have actually got some nice lining on so I may leave them as is. My conscience is happy with the rear windows clear as I think the little 1/76th high drivers would find that sufficient.

Will

20240410_222610.jpg

Is the glazing easy enough to remove? Looks like a good option for adding the windows - even though they should have been clear in the first place.

i was going to question the difference in paint colours between the top/bonnet and the lower section of the sides, as in my model there is definitely a green tinge to the yellow. However looking at NHY 581’s picture, this looks to be pretty accurate.

IMG_0484.jpeg.f9c04ff28b08db73838f39987ff66d1f.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Richy59 said:

Is the glazing easy enough to remove? Looks like a good option for adding the windows - even though they should have been clear in the first place.

The roof pops off with very little force and you can then just pry off the glazing. I'd recommend using something wide to do this as I initially used tweezers which cracked the glazing (only the thin bit connecting the two windows fortunately)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

I picked the North British Distillery version up today from Tony’s trains at the Statfold Barn model railway exhibition.

I posed it on my layout briefly but as it wasn’t DCC fitted I couldn’t use it today. 
Sorting the windows and fitting it with a chip are next on the list.

Nice model though!

IMG_6643.jpeg

• Like 5

IPA on an ear bud works to remove the paint on the windows.  I just gently levered the glass out using a Stanley knife blade.  Mine came out very easily with little pressure required.

Regards Roddy 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 10/04/2024 at 19:06, cctransuk said:

I can't believe that shunting with rearward and side visibility blocked can comply with safe operating procedures.

CJI.

That's what the side windows are for. Don't think I've ever used the front or rear windows on a locomotive for driving apart from on a big diesel. Half the time you can't see out of them anyway.

It all went downhill when Gooch started fitting cabs to the things....

Jason

On 14/04/2024 at 09:57, john new said:

Nice. I was going to remove the "plates" but I think I'll keep them now.

I'll see if I've got any 50A plates and pick up some Ruston ones from JE.

Jason

• Like 2