Hornby 2021 - Ruston & Hornsby 88DS

AY Mod

Hmmm - only one of them I have to get. As a former volunteer at the Lochty Private Railway when we got the 88DS from the North British Distillery at Haymarket it has to be that one. Seen here just after Pete Westwater finished the original repaint....2011-02-13_297.JPG.354488e019317c181c1ae402102f724a.JPG

The loco actually arrived at Lochty in a drab green livery

2011-02-13_302.JPG

Edited by Pagey
new photo added
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

710888580_RMWEB-BEN_BUCKI_DVLR_MurtonPark_RandH3_04.jpg.4170ffa55e4ccd51f5e5a6a58ae7eb4b.jpg

Dug this image out whilst looking for some of my shots of the 88DS locomotives for another project. Derwent Valley Light Railway in 2017- this is exactly the sort of thing I want to model!  And could indeed be a future train set from Hornby, if they can nick a veranda-ended 4-wheel coach from one of their foreign brands perhaps...

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ben B said:

710888580_RMWEB-BEN_BUCKI_DVLR_MurtonPark_RandH3_04.jpg.4170ffa55e4ccd51f5e5a6a58ae7eb4b.jpg

Dug this image out whilst looking for some of my shots of the 88DS locomotives for another project. Derwent Valley Light Railway in 2017- this is exactly the sort of thing I want to model!  And could indeed be a future train set from Hornby, if they can nick a veranda-ended 4-wheel coach from one of their foreign brands perhaps...

Hornby produced such a coach as above. Usually referred to as the 'R733 Swedish coach' it can often be found on E-bay.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Hornby produced such a coach as above. Usually referred to as the 'R733 Swedish coach' it can often be found on E-bay.

I have a couple, on one side for this project, I assume Hornby no longer have the moulds.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ben B said:

I have a couple, on one side for this project, I assume Hornby no longer have the moulds.

If they did survive beyond their production use no doubt they were destroyed in the "new management cull" of tooling a few years ago.  Pat Hammond in his story of Rovex series is uncertain of the number made but does refer to a quarter of a million from the quantities of a few train sets that records existed of so hopefully a fair number did not end in landfill.

• Like 3

On 19/01/2021 at 10:24, Ben B said:

The current (February) issue of Model Rail has an interesting feature by Paul A. Lunn on modelling the Derwent Valley Light Railway on a 6' by 4' train set board. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

40 minutes ago, caradoc said:

The current (February) issue of Model Rail has an interesting feature by Paul A. Lunn on modelling the Derwent Valley Light Railway on a 6' by 4' train set board. 

Thanks for the heads up, I spotted it in the mag- a decent plan, but I much prefer the one he did for a shelf-layout some years ago.  I've adapted it for a micro layout in 009 as, as the trackplan gives you a nicely logical reason to have two locomotives in service on short branch trains :)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

It would appear that the actual model of the BR N.E. region one is correct and doesn't have the weights.

The black section on the engine casing appears to have gone, which is good as this is the version that will be the easiest to revert to Ruston factory livery.

Pic on Hattons website.

R3896_20210128_3652802_Qty1_cat1.jpg

Pictures of all the other ones here, too. https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=975

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Ruston said:

It would appear that the actual model of the BR N.E. region one is correct and doesn't have the weights.

The black section on the engine casing appears to have gone, which is good as this is the version that will be the easiest to revert to Ruston factory livery.

Pic on Hattons website.

Pictures of all the other ones here, too. https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=975

These livery samples are making this model more tempting than I expected. 

Are there many more liveries and styles that these could be adapted into for different layout settings?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I don't think that I've missed it, but was there any conclusion as to whether 20 was delivered in black or BR green?

I've ordered the BR blue one as it obviously has the correct detail for 20; (weights, bufferbeams, etc.); but it'll be stripped and refinished as delivered to BR.

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

On 28/01/2021 at 15:24, Ruston said:

Pic on Hattons website.

And the Ferret & Dartboard is the right way round. This looks stunning!!!

Brandon. 

• Like 1

• AY Mod unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/01/2021 at 13:09, PhilJ W said:

Assume this one is at the  upper end  of asking prices at £25.50 inc postage presumably because it is apparently Rare but no doubt would have been more if one of the couplings was not detached

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 29/01/2021 at 12:18, cctransuk said:

I don't think that I've missed it, but was there any conclusion as to whether 20 was delivered in black or BR green?

I've ordered the BR blue one as it obviously has the correct detail for 20; (weights, bufferbeams, etc.); but it'll be stripped and refinished as delivered to BR.

John Isherwood.

As far as I have found out John, No.20 was delivered in black. It was repainted BR Blue and never carried the green livery.

This is my version of the Judith Edge kit made up. I'll hang on to see what Hornby's No.84 looks like before making another one!

20-Painted-Front.gif

Edited by Wagonmaster
Reinstating photo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My initial reaction "Oh no, not another Scottish Ruston which I feel that I absoluitely must sign up for".     Yet Edinburgh was part of my past life, North British Distilleries ties in with my weakness for the taste of Scotch Whisky, so that yellow Ruston 88DS beckons.  That yellow "North British" 88DS Ruston will be my next purchase!

Edited by cessna152towser
typo
  • Like 1

On 31/07/2021 at 20:16, cessna152towser said:

My initial reaction "Oh no, not another Scottish Ruston which I feel that I absoluitely must sign up for".     Yet Edinburgh was part of my past life, North British Distilleries ties in with my weakness for the taste of Scotch Whisky, so that yellow Ruston 88DS beckons.  That yellow "North British" 88DS Ruston will be my next purchase!

Just a suggestion, but if anybody is considering the "North British", please consider ordering from the custodians of the original, the Fife Heritage Railway.

Although they are selling for the full RRP pf £94, rather than a discounted price, there is more than £10 worth of goodies in their goodie-bag.

And, most importantly, their retailer mark-up will be going to the railway and their ongoing restoration and care of the real thing.

(No connection, other than as a visitor)

https://www.facebook.com/fifeheritagerailway/posts/4810055909010580

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, DavidBird said:

Just a suggestion, but if anybody is considering the "North British", please consider ordering from the custodians of the original, the Fife Heritage Railway.

I have ordered mine from Fife Heritage Railway.  Hoping to go there in person to collect it.

• Like 3