Hornby 2021 - 4 & 6 wheel period coaches

AY Mod

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

LNWR and GNR livery are as inappropriate on these body-styles as on the Hattons carriages! 

Maybe, but if someone wants some RTR plum and spilt milk vintage stock to run behind Hardwick, are there other options ?  Or maybe even an LNWR liveried Coal tank if Bachmann have got round to it yet.  I agree that builders of kit built LNWR locos probably wouldn't be bothering, but the RTR market almost certainly would.    

• Like 1

Goodness this is heated! But rightly so, it's either a very unfortunate coincidence, or something very crafty and sly has gone on here- and realistically we've all got the idea it was probably the latter. Food for thought- I wonder if they might have chosen something else if by the time they started designing these they had already had their tiff with Rails of Sheffield too..

I think that the Hattons examples look much more realistic and detailed, but unfortunately it's the NBR versions I need. I'm 100% sure there would also be others thinking of getting the Hornby NBR versions but would change their mind if Hattons said they would produce them in their fourth wave.... and at this point no one would care abut it encroaching on Hornby's territory!

James

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Additionally, Hornby are acting like they have  never- seen before idea to use a magnet to control the lighting, and they're completely right! Cough cough Rapido Trains Dynamometer Car, cough cough.    What a trustworthy company Hornby is becoming!

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Maybe, but if someone wants some RTR plum and spilt milk vintage stock to run behind Hardwick, are there other options ?  Or maybe even an LNWR liveried Coal tank if Bachmann have got round to it yet.  I agree that builders of kit built LNWR locos probably wouldn't be bothering, but the RTR market almost certainly would.    

An LNWR Coal Tank was the first one BlueBox did.

Edited by Hroth
ruddy tablet dropped a letter, it thinks its being helpful...
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Covkid said:

......Or maybe even an LNWR liveried Coal tank if Bachmann have got round to it yet. 

The Coal Tank in LNWR livery has been available for some time,
I have two of them (converted to EM gauge)

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Chuffed 1 said:

It’s my belief that 4w stock had been scrapped on the IoW by the mid-thirties in favour of superannuated ex-LCDR and LBSCR bogie coaches, but I may be wrong.

is it me, or do these coaches have vacuum pipes and clasp brakes but no cylinders or brake gear?

Much of the 4 wheeled stock was returned around 1937 however some vehicles remained in service on the island all the way through to 1949 when they were also returned to the mainland. The ones that did stay on the island didn't all remain in passenger service, a number were converted to departmental stock. A number of them also had steel sheeting by way of refurbishment/repair by the time the war was over. I think the IOW railway was always a bit of a mix of stuff, part of its charm I guess!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Chuffed 1 said:

is it me, or do these coaches have vacuum pipes and clasp brakes but no cylinders or brake gear?

They feature central horizontal Westinghouse brake cylinders underneath, but these are less visible than vacuum brake fittings would be (no V hangers for a start, and the actuating rod runs just under the floor to behind the wheels. I attach a drawing of the brake gear from a Westinghouse-fitted horsebox:

image.png.7385aaa2805af8426672054edc6ee18b.png

All very neat and tidy and hidden away as I'm sure you can see!

Edited by Skinnylinny
Used the wrong terminology!
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 minutes ago, James J said:

Additionally, Hornby are acting like they have  never- seen before idea to use a magnet to control the lighting, and they're completely right! Cough cough Rapido Trains Dynamometer Car, cough cough.    What a trustworthy company Hornby is becoming!

Well its not a bad idea, it was probably done before the dyno car and will be on a mass-produced unit, rather than a limited run item.  The lighting units are also available separately so they can be applied to other vehicles.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, James J said:

Additionally, Hornby are acting like they have  never- seen before idea to use a magnet to control the lighting, and they're completely right! Cough cough Rapido Trains Dynamometer Car, cough cough.

In fact all of Rapidos US & Canadian coaches  in N & HO for several years now.  Rapido supply an elegant wand for switching.

But if it’s simply a magnetically-operated latching reed switch, then there were articles about using them in 1970s Railway Modellers, so it’s not really proprietary tech.

RT 

Edited by RichardT
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Chuffed 1 said:

One point for the more knowledgeable, did many 4w and 6w coaches last long enough for crimson livery?

In actual passenger traffic on BR  ? About 2-3 6W coaches on the old GER...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

There was a period of steady development between the first sketches released in October 2019 and the 3D CAD models published last April, during which Hattons absorbed feedback from various sources (including myself). It's simply a difference of approach - do your product development in public and benefit from informed comment, or present the public with a fait accompli. Which approach will result in the better model? It can go either way - I recall that there was a very short period between Hornby's announcement of their LMS Period 3 non-corridor carriages and their availability, and those are excellent representations of the prototype, in my opinion.

I'm well aware of that, my point was that they weren't at an "Advanced CAD stage" when announced.

51 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

These are presented in the post-1910 livery so only really suitable for a Terrier in umber (or vice-versa).

No they aren't, they are in pre-1903 livery, so Improved Engine Green Terriers

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

These are presented in the post-1910 livery so only really suitable for a Terrier in umber (or vice-versa)

Are you sure that's correct? The pictures look like the earlier mahogany livery that is suitable for the IEG Terriers that Hornby produce. They have a complete aversion to doing any Terriers in umber - so that would be perverse!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think the light wand is tricky territory for Hornby.

unlike other manufacturers.. Hornby is Hornby.. those with little understanding of the hobby, but knowing the brand will be drawn by this, where as Hattons customers are a little more hobby savvy.

I can see issues with changing batteries, flat batteries even kids hitting the coach with a “magic wand”. Its less in parental nature to dismantle a “toy”, they just expect a battery cover to unscrew.

I presume in the design, the battery is in a more easy to access location for parents to access, with a kid safe screw lid  - you dont want a kid putting a coincell battery in their mouth, or parents screw driver leveraging a coach apart.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Apart from those about 3 pages ago...

Oh, I'm sorry! I had word searched each page and never saw it! My bad, but thank you for saying it was discussed!

EDIT: Never searched Terrier :banghead:

Edited by Ribird
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I think the light wand is tricky territory for Hornby.

unlike other manufacturers.. Hornby is Hornby.. those with little understanding of the hobby will be drawn by this.

I can see issues with changing batteries, flat batteries even kids hitting the coach with a “magic wand”. Its less in parental nature to dismantle a “toy”, they just expect a battery cover to unscrew.

I presume in the design, the battery is in a more easy to access location for parents to access, with a kid safe screw lid  - you dont want a kid putting a coincell battery in their mouth, or parents screw driver leveraging a coach apart.

It's all shown in the unboxing video: https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/video-unboxing-hornbys-generic-pre-grouping-coach/

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Good video. Shows the lighting and how the coach is put together very well . Actually looks better on video than on some of the illustrations 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Because they everyone would start nit-picking over tiny details and moaning "You don't see that livery on a Stroudly."

If you want a good nit-pick on these try this one.   -All of them, as far as I can see from the pics above, have got exactly the same brake standpipe on the end.  And I wonder if they are all the same underneath?  As they have various 'separately fitted details' it seems a bit daft to get that wrong even if they are generic.

However all I need to do is see if one is suitable to match reasonably well a WR 1960s staff accommodation vehicle and paint it in all over black and repaint the brake stand pipe red  (the colour of the brake stand pipe is potentially incorrect on the BR livery version depending on how long what they are aimed at lasted in traffic).

Nits duly picked - thank you.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, The Stationmaster said:

If you want a good nit-pick on these try this one.   -All of them, as far as I can see from the pics above, have got exactly the same brake standpipe on the end.  And I wonder if they are all the same underneath?  As they have various 'separately fitted details' it seems a bit daft to get that wrong even if they are generic.

There appear to be three different chassis styles - No tanks, gas tanks, battery boxes. These tie up with the lumps on the roof - Oil lamps, gas lamps and torpedo vents.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Thanks Phil,

told me what I needed to know. I’m assuming its not intended as a toy.

Am loving the paint finish on the GNR though.

i can see the wheels having mileage for further use too.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, adb968008 said:

told me what I needed to know. I’m assuming its not intended as a toy.

I'm sure Hornby have all the relevant safety aspects covered - it's something they have done for years after all.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

There appear to be three different chassis styles - No tanks, gas tanks, battery boxes. These tie up with the lumps on the roof - Oil lamps, gas lamps and torpedo vents.

Blimey, somebody seems to have been following the RMWeb thread on a certain other product range.:jester:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Do they have two different brake systems as well Phil?  'Skinnylinny' in a post above implies that they do not but that might only be based on what they have seen of a particular vehicle?   From the exterior appearance that have brake system features which are incorrect for the NBR and LB&SCR livery but underneath the brake system details only match the NBR (pre 1910) and LB&SCR livery.

I fully accept of course that samples shown at a trade show might be misleading in the detail they are carrying.

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 minute ago, The Stationmaster said:

Do they have two different brake systems as well Phil?  'Skinnylinny' in a post above implies that they do not but that might only be based on what they have seen of a particular vehicle?   From the exterior appearance that have brake system features which are incorrect for the NBR and LB&SCR livery but underneath the brake system details only match the NBR (pre 1910) and LB&SCR livery.

Sorry - I can't tell from the photos and we were only supplied with a single review sample.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1