Hornby 2021 - 4 & 6 wheel period coaches

AY Mod

On a brief view the Hattons ones look to be more refined and so may hit a different market, but I can see people mixing and matching. Would look good in a mixed rake if the have a different profile etc.

Again I'm not in the market for these although I'd be tempted by one of Hatton's engineering coaches.

• Like 3

Pretty models though they are, they're hardly generic. They're Stroudleys with mongrelised hand grabs, so to paint them in every other livery they fall into the trap that Hattons set out from the very beginning to try and avoid. I'm sure they'll look great in LMS livery on a future release, but a Brighton coach in any other livery isn't going to change my pre-order with Hattons, I'd rather take a generic that bares passing resemblance to some BRCW products.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, spamcan61 said:

There's a huge range of other options they could've gone down rather than copy somebody else's idea. As already suggested how about some updated clerestory coaches.

Certainly I think new high detailed Clerestory sets would have been a huge seller, done well they would be some of the nicest looking coaches in 4mm.

• Like 1
  • Agree 15

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Certainly I think new high detailed Clerestory sets would have been a huge seller, done well they would be some of the nicest looking coaches in 4mm.

I wonder if anybody else would fancy tackling them?:diablo_mini: 

Without advance publicity, naturally!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

To my eyes, the Hornby artwork for LNWR livery looks quite passable for Caledonian livery!

The paintwork might be similar in fog or falling snow, but the crests and lettering won't be. Its a bit like suggesting passing off Southern coaches as Highland Railway ones. I dare say it can be done with a bit of application and the right transfers, but my point is that the Hornby NBR coaches are promised for later on this month, while Hattons' take on pre-grouping Scottish coaches is going to be a couple of years away, so there's no contest and no need for angst over the issue of whether Hornby are muscling in on Hattons idea, which is why I've already gone and pre-ordered the Hornby ones from Hattons :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I have six of the Hattons Genesis coaches in SE&CR livery preordered and was actually considering ordering more. Given Hornby have ignored the SE&CR livery (which I should imagine is one of the most popular pre grouping companies) Hattons should at least retain some orders. I guess I am not alone in that what determines my choice is not so much price but how it fits onto my layout. I'll be interested to see how Hornby's offering matches up to Hattons but for me its all about the SE&CR!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MattA said:

Hornby do seem to have a habit of coming up with new toolings that clash with another manufacturer's...

Or, is Hornby 'leaky' and others find out first and step in, given that Hornby is already working on its 2022 and 2023 ranges? I guess we'll never know, but Hornby's prices are keeping expectations in the UK market of what is the 'going rate' down. 

Piko launched its 2021 range today, and the prices are eye-watering https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/media/downloads/PikoHONewItemsLeaflet2021.pdf

Elsewhere, anyone for a [very expensive] 66? Ouch! 

https://marnan.eu/marklin-39061-h0-rrf-diesellocomotief-class-66

Sorry OT. :offtopic:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Great Eastern Lady said:

I am Defo going to order up a set in LNER teak and with the interior lights .  Shame they didn’t do some in late GER livery , maybe next year 

Hattons 4 wheel brake third has GER written all over it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Synch said:

I apologize for being blunt but Hornby should have simply made Stroudley carriages, having a profile remain relatively distinctive to one company is not how you make a generic coach, in that way Hattons have done a much better job.

These are only worthwhile in LBSCR colors, and should have been done entirely as LBSCR coaches rather then an attempt to undercut Hattons.  I'm not sure who exactly this is supposed to please when the perspective from both sides of the equation (one wanting the exact diagrams and others wanting different liveries) are left with compromises. 

Ah but then we get back to the whole problem with pre-grouping modelling. Post-1922 up to the introduction of the Standards there are 4 different railways to worry about and forums like this one will see complaints that the Southern [and its BR successor] is dominating the releases or that there's nothing this year for the GWR, but its still cohesive enough to offer comprehensive ranges which people will buy.

Take it back to myriad railways the Great War and beyond and it gets very difficult. 

Much as I would love to have accurate models of the real thing, I'm all too aware that "real" NBR coaches are not a commercial proposition, so I will very cheerfully settle for these generic ones in the right livery

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Hattons 4 wheel brake third has GER written all over it.

I haven't seen that livery version yet.

GER carriages of that period have square-cornered waist panels and square corners to the bottom of the windows and window-level panels, making them quite distinctively different.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Great Eastern Lady said:

Shame they didn’t do some in late GER livery

They pretty much already have ....

800px-GER_coach_number_553_east_anglian_railway_museum.jpg.5d137053c1c676d742175a6d3da2f373.jpg

R40093_1.jpg.2935e0d23eaa15dc1faea219e230e204.jpg.621d0578c8ef9c4322f44f07afb87cef.jpg

If you can imagine that the Hornby panelling is Great Eastern, you can imagine the crest is, too!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Caledonian said:

Much as I would love to have accurate models of the real thing, I'm all too aware that "real" NBR coaches are not a commercial proposition, so I will very cheerfully settle for these generic ones in the right livery

That's not been put to the test. I would wager a train pack of a Holmes West Highland bogie, a West Highland first saloon, a pair of third saloons, and a 6-wheel brake would sell like hot cakes. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I haven't seen that livery version yet.

GER carriages of that period have square-cornered waist panels and square corners to the bottom of the windows and window-level panels, making them quite distinctively different.

Yes, in the 1860s-1870s. This is in the form of the raised beading common in that period.

Then 1880s-1890s conventional recessed radiussed waist panels (relatively deep, towards Bain).

But the vertical windows and panels remain as you described until the 'square lights' from 1896. 

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Great Eastern Lady said:

@PhilJ W

Funny you should say that I was just looking at Hattons range , and as you mentioned they are doing GER , but it looks like the earlier livery , I was after the later Crimson livery 

@Edwardian  It’s close , but knowing the crest is wrong would really bug me 

I'd have to check, but I suspect the GE only put the crest on 1st class vehicles compartments. So, you could rub them off and/or apply Fox crests.  Large class numbers doors could be added, with the class designation rubbed off the waist

• Like 3

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

That's not been put to the test. I would wager a train pack of a Holmes West Highland bogie, a West Highland first saloon, a pair of third saloons, and a 6-wheel brake would sell like hot cakes. 

I'm sure we can find you the phone number for a factory in China so you can test your theory while you find your chequebook...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Great Eastern Lady said:

@PhilJ W

Funny you should say that I was just looking at Hattons range , and as you mentioned they are doing GER , but it looks like the earlier livery , I was after the later Crimson livery 

@Edwardian  It’s close , but knowing the crest is wrong would really bug me 

Then replace the crest.

OK I know its not quite that simple, but would still be easier than every other option and I'm sure people on here would be able to give advice as to the best way to go about it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Well for me it's going to be the Hatton's SR department tool van and Hornby 4 wheeled brake to be support carriages for my breakdown crane rightly or wrongly.

I believe the Rowlands Castle layout had a train of tanks on warwells with 4 or 6 wheeled exLBSC brakes at each end so that is food for thought for me too...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

The Thirds have two numbers for all except the NBR, which has a Composite instead of a second Third.

Still makes for short rakes of coaches though compared with the Genesis offering ...... a shame for the LSWR for example with Radials, M7's, T9, Terrier, etc waiting for something to pull. Still, I suppose it's early days and there will be more to follow going forwards :-)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Great Eastern Lady said:

@Edwardian  I’ll have a look on the GER society website , they’re pretty good at information like that 

comme ça

1125962366_GER6-WheelCentreBrakeThird(1918livery).jpg.236d0da16f0d77cf3f0cfd2abe870c75.jpg

The large numerals were introduced in 1902  with the varnished teak livery and carried on on the 1919 crimson. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Edwardian said:

comme ça

1125962366_GER6-WheelCentreBrakeThird(1918livery).jpg.236d0da16f0d77cf3f0cfd2abe870c75.jpg

The large numerals were introduced in 1902  with the varnished teak livery and carried on on the 1919 crimson. 

I recognise that place and the carriage , volunteered there for long enough , but that was a long time ago lol

I’m looking at the hattons ones at the moment 

tough choice 

• Like 2