Hornby 2021 - 4 & 6 wheel period coaches

AY Mod

I hate to think some of the "modifications" I did when I was young. Like converting a Tri-ang Britannia into a Modified West Country by cutting off the cab and replacing it from one off the Airfix kit.  I won't even mention the wheels...

Later I turned it back into a  Britannia.

• Like 6

On 08/01/2021 at 09:07, phil gollin said:

I am still awaiting an explanation as to why there are no SE&CR liveried coaches ?

Anyone ?

There's not a lot of Scottish pre-grouping liveries between the Hornby & Hattons announcements, and quite a lot of Southern.  Considering  how popular Scottish branch lines are with modellers, is seems disproportionate.  Personally I'd like to see all 7 of the pre-group companies that worked into Carlisle Citadel (plus WCJS, but bogie stock & 12-wheelers would be more appropriate there).

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

All Generics

Brilliant, thank you! I've never had much joy with cryptic crosswords.

Now I'll be looking for subliminal messaging in other Hornby products. What are those PO wagons really saying?

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Good point about Ratio body lengths, chaps; I 'd forgotten about that.  It is probably more important that the bodies fit on their 'donor' chassis than that they are spot on accurate.  More research needed; good, I like research!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Good point about Ratio body lengths, chaps; I 'd forgotten about that.  It is probably more important that the bodies fit on their 'donor' chassis than that they are spot on accurate.  More research needed; good, I like research!

Yep. I was looking at them since these came up. Still got a couple unbuilt ones lurking about somewhere.

Loads of information on the Dart website including the instructions for their sides.

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/shire.php#OOGaugeEtchedSidestoConvertRatioCoaches

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Dick Turpin said:

Your music choices reflect your intellectual needs. Consequently, if you like crap music your modelling standards are likely to be poor. QED.

Harsh.

I find Beethoven puts me in the mood for all things LNWR but Wagner for the Midland.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

They got the windows right if it's a D45!

Which if I was Hornby is the diagram I would have based it on, but they did give it a D34 number, and there are many other odd choices in the range.

First, this only works well where there are no partitions higher than the seat backs.  This is one of the early ones that did not even bother with twin quarter lights for that reason (though I accept that such stinginess wasn't confined to the long light coaches).  I suppose you could have full height partitions with a cut out for the lamps, but, again, if possible, how common across the network and, if so, for how long ?

Also, don't forget, it's not clear what there will be by way or interior, but unless Hornby produce this coach with no compartment partitions above the seat backs, it will be less probable, for all it's generic

We have seen interiors with and without full height partitions, and if you look at the brake third it only has half height partitions, so it's OK(ish) there.

Second, the fact that there is "a prototype for everything" is not the point here.  We are judging this on being typical and prototypical, as we must if it is a generic coach. How appropriate is a given feature on a generic coach, which must, necessarily, avoid (i) the rare (ii) the distinctive (ii) features not perpetuated throughout the life (build period and service life) of such vehicles.  More thought could have been of benefit here, but, if they did not make a start in earnest (if at all) until after the Hattons announcement ... 

The above example is hardly a very typical arrangement for a generic coach.  Further, it is more likely to be found on early coaches, from the '60s and '70s.  Don't forget, this panel style was very modern when Stroudley adopted it in the early '70s.  As, IIRC, Compound pointed out earlier, it became much more widespread in the late Nineteenth Century (though by no means ever universal).  Thus such a lighting arrangement on a coach of this appearance is unlikely to be typical/prototypical more generally or for non-Stroudley coaches in the same broad style. 

I think the simplest answer here (which is what I'm going with because I have a banging headache right now, I have a rather lengthy theory that I'm happy to explain at a later point if people want to hear it) is that Hattons have made generic coaches, while Hornby have made Stroudleys, then tried to make them generic, meaning that they are in fact neither generic nor Stroudleys.

Third, it does not match the treatment on the 4-wheel All Third, where the centre compartment has a lamp over the centre compartment and the outer compartments share one, matching the D44 below. 

In this case, Hornby have made an interesting decision, because they have obviously gone with a D44 roof, but they have given them D33 numbers, but not just any D33's in fact the numbers they have picked should have electric lights with the Stroudley-Houghton system.

Well, if anything the Brake Third better resembles a Stroudley D45, so the happy medium would have been to put a pot over each compartment divide on the Brake Third.

I'm not going to disagree with that, as I say, if I was Hornby, I would have made it a D45, but they have done some odd things, perhaps a laziness of research because of deciding to make them generic.

The Big Point, though, is that being too wedded to specific Stroudley examples leaves them less typical and, therefore, less credible as generic coaches, IMHO.

I totally agree with this. In my opinion they have failed both at Stroudleys and at generics, it won't stop me buying them with the knowledge that I can make needed adjustments to them myself, something which I would quite enjoy, but I would not recommend them to anyone looking for generic coaches. Thankfully Hattons have us covered there!

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, Dick Turpin said:

Your music choices reflect your intellectual needs. Consequently, if you like crap music your modelling standards are likely to be poor. QED.

Erm. That was a joke....

Little Mix are far too noisy and extreme for my delicate little ears. :tender:

Funny that it got "Informative" and "Thought provoking" though. :laugh:

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dick Turpin said:

Seriously, dude?  This is like stating that all Wagner afficionados are Nazis (not the best example, as all of those that I know do actually have tendencies to invading Poland at the drop of a hat) or that a fondness for Mozart suggests an affinity for Freemasonry.  I have little time for Little Mix but find them harmless, and found that early Genesis answered a need in me for intellectaul stimulation as I tried to decipher what was going on, but would never claim that any of that makes me a better or worse person or modeller, and would certainly not try to project my opinion in such a derogatory way on others.  Are you so insecure that you have to claim such alleged superiority? 

Well, that's your business, and your problem, but I'd personally prefer you kept it out of forums where a standard of accepted behaviour is the norm, and would probably have taken you to task had I been an admisistrator,  Steamport, a very accomplished modeller whose  knowledge of the subject is considerable and reliable, is fully entitled to like anything he likes without being criticised and, frankly, demeaned and insulted for it so long as he doesn't impose it on the rest of us!

Your namesake may have been romanticised in later periods by people who should have known better, but was in fact a thief, murderer, and rapist; I do not make the assumption that your choice of username indicates any such tendencies in you, so don't make similar unjustified assumptions about other people based on musical taste or what you, with no cause or entttlement, percieve as a want of it.

Q£D.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

There's not a lot of Scottish pre-grouping liveries between the Hornby & Hattons announcements, and quite a lot of Southern.  Considering  how popular Scottish branch lines are with modellers, is seems disproportionate.  Personally I'd like to see all 7 of the pre-group companies that worked into Carlisle Citadel (plus WCJS, but bogie stock & 12-wheelers would be more appropriate there).

But there really is nothing  to pull the NBR coaches . Even the J36 Maude is in preservation livery, not really appropriate . Cant think of anything at all from any of the manufacturers that could be used . 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Harsh.

I find Beethoven puts me in the mood for all things LNWR but Wagner for the Midland.

As in this excerpt, "Dawn and Siegfried's Departure on the 6.05 from St Pancras"

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BlueLightning said:

Which if I was Hornby is the diagram I would have based it on, but they did give it a D34 number, and there are many other odd choices in the range.

We have seen interiors with and without full height partitions, and if you look at the brake third it only has half height partitions, so it's OK(ish) there.

I think the simplest answer here (which is what I'm going with because I have a banging headache right now, I have a rather lengthy theory that I'm happy to explain at a later point if people want to hear it) is that Hattons have made generic coaches, while Hornby have made Stroudleys, then tried to make them generic, meaning that they are in fact neither generic or Stroudleys.

In this case, Hornby have made an interesting decision, because they have obviously gone with a D44 roof, but they have given them D33 numbers, but not just any D33's in fact the numbers they have picked should have electric lights with the Stroudley-Houghton system.

I'm not going to disagree with that, as I say, if I was Hornby, I would have made it a D45, but they have done some odd things, perhaps a laziness of research because of deciding to make them generic.

I totally agree with this. In my opinion they have failed both at Stroudleys and at generics, it won't stop me buying them with the knowledge that I can make needed adjustments to them myself, something which I would quite enjoy, but I would not recommend them to anyone looking for generic coaches. Thankfully Hattons have us covered there!

Gary

Fair comment.

1 hour ago, BlueLightning said:

I think the simplest answer here (which is what I'm going with because I have a banging headache right now, I have a rather lengthy theory that I'm happy to explain at a later point if people want to hear it) is that Hattons have made generic coaches, while Hornby have made Stroudleys, then tried to make them generic, meaning that they are in fact neither generic or Stroudleys.

That's probably the crux of it.  Hattons started off with a rather Stroudleyesque drawing, IIRC, with a 'giveaway' Westinghouse cylinder.

Hattons and those assisting worked hard, and, I believe very successfully, to evolve that into a truly generic design, prototypically literate and with the most typical features possible.  Hornby have rushed their fences again, one suspects. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

On 08/01/2021 at 09:17, Edwardian said:

By adopting the vertical panelling to the exclusion of a waist band on the full brake ...you at least nod slightly towards SE and LNW practice

And FR and NSR who also favoured  'Wolverton' panelling for their coaching stock.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1