Hornby 2021 - 4 & 6 wheel period coaches

AY Mod

2 hours ago, Nile said:

Yes.

But that would be illogical.  Would Hornby not continue to produce the Stroudley coaches and then produce a more generalised model based on the Stroudley for other liveries?  That way they would pick up the perceived demand for accurate  representations of Stroudley coaches and also capture a share of the generic market as well.

Regards

Roddy

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Would you have bought the Hatton’s versions though?

umm...in all honesty, it was on my list of maybe's (i did watch Sam's and Jenny's videos on them)..i think the fact I've seen the finished product and  can have them in a few days has swayed me. I shall be doing a click and collect with my local shop on Saturday to give some support to him.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Forward! said:

or worse, building stock completely from scratch

Terrible. What crimes against humanity!

2127331278_Pelsallglossvarnish.JPG.6082e3600b86f2ad512abd580b63071d.JPG

Like anything, it's just a question of being willing to practise.

I do rather object to the idea that pre-grouping modelling needs to be "normalised", as if its practitioners are somehow abnormal. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

14 minutes ago, Roddy Angus said:

But that would be illogical.  Would Hornby not continue to produce the Stroudley coaches and then produce a more generalised model based on the Stroudley for other liveries?  That way they would pick up the perceived demand for accurate  representations of Stroudley coaches and also capture a share of the generic market as well.

Regards

Roddy

As illogical as releasing a coach pack with a Terrier in GWR livery or a Maunsell dining saloon that is several years too early for any of the Hornby restaurant firsts to run with it... :laugh:

Hornby love retooling things lately so perhaps actual Stroudleys are still on the cards 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Free At Last said:

Can he do that? Hattons have had to suspend their kerbside pickup service due to covid restrictions.

i think so yes. the gov guidelines have not banned click and collect. he does everything by the book, your not allowed in, socially distance out (tons of room), given its a model train shop not exactly got a mile queue out side either :D

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

I do rather object to the idea that pre-grouping modelling needs to be "normalised", as if its practitioners are somehow abnormal. 

I have been known to dabble in a bit of scratchbuilding, but you've got to admit, pre-group modellers are a distinct minority in the hobby.  So in that sense, yes, we are abnormal! It's not a bad thing as every hobby has niche interests, but the advent in 2021 of being able to make up a generally quite plausible early C20 train using modern rtr products can only help broaden participation in modelling this fascinating period of British railway history. And ultimately, that's the only way our hobby survives and indeed grows.

Will

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

i think so yes. the gov guidelines have not banned click and collect. he does everything by the book, your not allowed in, socially distance out (tons of room), given its a model train shop not exactly got a mile queue out side either :D

In the last few days there has been talk of banning click n' collect at nn-essential shops in England but as far as I can trace that has not yet been enacted.  Legally Hattons would appear to be able operate a click n' collect service under the Lockdown Regulations.  However unless they live near to Hattons' premises a customer would be breaking the Lockdown law if they were to go to the shop to collect goods they have pre-ordered.  Thus your modelling bill could legitimately be increased by £200 if the local constabulary happen to find out what you are doing and take exception to it.  

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Forward! said:

Several key types of vehicles built in their thousands in the early C20 are simply no longer available in kit form as those manufacturers interested in the period retire. And we're not talking the esoteric stuff, but the basic furniture of C20 railways- like earlier types of GWR minks or even an Open A wagon.

I'll take this sentence a bit more seriously. Assuming we're talking about 4 mm scale and focusing on wagons, since you mention them, you need to look around you a little more. You refer obliquely to the demise of the Coopercraft range, which is to be regretted; it is true that there are several older ranges of whitemetal kits that have passed on but equally there are cottage manufacturers filling the void with new technologies, producing kits of pre-grouping prototypes that are much more accessible to the beginner than a whitemetal or etched brass kit. Within the Slaters and Ratio ranges, there are plastic wagon kits that cover getting on for 20% of the railway company-owned wagons running in the early 20th century (by quantity, not by type); a proportion that I think RTR struggles to match for the grouping or even post-nationalisation periods. (For the Midland Railway, that proportion rises to around 70%, thanks to Slaters.)

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

32 minutes ago, Forward! said:

3) It has also just occurred to me that with a bit of T-cut to the existing markings and replacement decals, those NBR carriages could just about pass as GWR 1912-1922 crimson lake.... 

I haven't seen them in the flesh, but from the pics the colour and lining is a good match.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Forward! said:

I have been known to dabble in a bit of scratchbuilding, but you've got to admit, pre-group modellers are a distinct minority in the hobby.  So in that sense, yes, we are abnormal! It's not a bad thing as every hobby has niche interests, but the advent in 2021 of being able to make up a generally quite plausible early C20 train using modern rtr products can only help broaden participation in modelling this fascinating period of British railway history. And ultimately, that's the only way our hobby survives and indeed grows.

Will

Some people just like to do things the hard way.....

If r-t-r pre-grouping just becomes too commonplace, they'll just migrate to 3mm or S Scale....

:angel:

John

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I'll take this sentence a bit more seriously. Assuming we're talking about 4 mm scale and focusing on wagons, since you mention them, you need to look around you a little more. You refer obliquely to the demise of the Coopercraft range, which is to be regretted; it is true that there are several older ranges of whitemetal kits that have passed on but equally there are cottage manufacturers filling the void with new technologies, producing kits of pre-grouping prototypes that are much more accessible to the beginner than a whitemetal or etched brass kit. Within the Slaters and Ratio ranges, there are plastic wagon kits that cover getting on for 20% of the railway company-owned wagons running in the early 20th century (by quantity, not by type); a proportion that I think RTR struggles to match for the grouping or even post-nationalisation periods. (For the Midland Railway, that proportion rises to around 70%, thanks to Slaters.)

And quite a few more if you don't omit Cambrian kits.....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jonnyuk said:

umm...in all honesty, it was on my list of maybe's (i did watch Sam's and Jenny's videos on them)..i think the fact I've seen the finished product and  can have them in a few days has swayed me. I shall be doing a click and collect with my local shop on Saturday to give some support to him.

Then your correct, Hornby have succeeded in what they set out to do  :D

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

For main stream manufacturers it has to be “normalised”, there were so many different combinations and odd custom conversations in pre grouping it would be impossible to be 100% accurate on a range and have a big enough market, they deem it better to be close enough and please more customers than 100% and only please maybe less than 5% of the market.

• Agree 2

I have been given permission to share one of the images Hornby were working from with regard to the buffers: 

64BF20BF-FD40-4554-B542-12371BFBD032.jpeg.8a34dc9ec9d2b7613917c4b0953d1c61.jpeg

Courtesy of the Mike King Collection.

Hornby raised my pointing out of the concave buffers in my review and sought to clarify the reason they are so on the model. I am just passing this on. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Did they not think it better to go with the flat faced buffers as per the photo then? Because using a photo of flat faced buffers to justify concave buffers seems a very odd decision.

(No offence meant to you Jenny, I know you are just the messenger)

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 2

4 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Yes, but the point is that the Hornby lighting will not cause a drag on the coaches, whereas the Hattons one will. 

My concern is that the Hornby ones appear to have inside bearings which I would worry about increasing drag far more than the Hattons pinpoints in metal cups!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

My concern is that the Hornby ones appear to have inside bearings which I would worry about increasing drag far more than the Hattons pinpoints in metal cups!

Certainly true of the Hornby Maunsells. The bogie coaches will run freely forever, while the Van C/BY is quite unwilling by comparison. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Thus your modelling bill could legitimately be increased by £200 if the local constabulary happen to find out what you are doing and take exception to it.  

Small fry compared to the risk the Mrs finds out.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I wonder how easy it will be to fit Hornby's coach lighting (that they are offering as a separate item) to a Hattons unlit coach....

40 minutes ago, AVS1998 said:

Surely if you're wanting illuminated stock though, you'd just plump for the lighting option from either company rather than paying roughly the same price for the lighting kit after the fact? It costs the same price (£35.99 for Hornby's lit carriages compared £36 for Hattons'). 

39 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Yes, but the point is that the Hornby lighting will not cause a drag on the coaches, whereas the Hattons one will. 

Then there's the question of where to put the battery. Not a problem on brake vehicles but could be on other stock.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

And quite a few more if you don't omit Cambrian kits.....

Apologies for continuing with an OT digression.

Cambrian's pre-grouping wagons are mostly of post-Great War prototypes and from companies whose total wagon fleets combined accounted for only 5% of railway company owned wagons - not much more than half the number of wagons represented by one single Slaters kit alone! To some extent, it's a question of what one thinks is the optimum portion of the pre-grouping period for the trade to be supporting - with a very few exceptions the RTR locomotives that are available are appropriate to the decade up to the grouping, whereas I think much of the attraction of the pre-grouping period lies in the quarter-century up to the Great War, which was the Golden Age of British railways. (Though the seeds of decline took root very early in the 20th century.)

But Cambrian do do some very useful PO wagon kits, as do Slaters, though currently the route of supply for the latter is somewhat obscure.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Jenny Emily said:

I have been given permission to share one of the images Hornby were working from with regard to the buffers: 

Whilst those are self-evidently the right buffers for that carriage, they are untypical of late 19th century carriage buffers. 

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2