Hornby 2021 - 4 & 6 wheel period coaches

AY Mod

A photo from the Whitby & Scarborough Railway Facebook page. I think someone might have suggested you would not have seen these in the NE. 

Here you have one. Albeit used as a camping coach. 1933 in Stainton  Dale.

6E462AE0-7C27-42F6-92AB-5ED272C15EB7.jpeg

Edited by DLPG
  • Like 7

There were 10 camping coaches introduced in the NE/ Yorkshire region in July 1933. They were the standard compartment coaches and slightly modified internally to create bedrooms, living room and kitchen. 

I wish I could get hold of one for my garden. Would make a great little pub.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DLPG said:

There were 10 camping coaches introduced in the NE/ Yorkshire region in July 1933. They were the standard compartment coaches and slightly modified internally to create bedrooms, living room and kitchen. 

I wish I could get hold of one for my garden. Would make a great little pub.

FA47FB9F-05C6-48DB-8CBF-EDB556DC5CC1.png

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Don't panic buy. 

Most of the retailers haven't got them yet.

Jason

The only other online retailers thay haven't are also the only ones able to ship outside of the UK or EU, so I have to wait a bit longer, and TMC said they aren't getting any of theirs till round Feburary/March.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Received my 4 wheel one from Derails - answer to either of the above seems to be no; the reed swith triggers twice as the vehicle passes under the magnet held above it.

Is that holding the magnet along the body of the coach? If so both poles are switching, try holding it vertically or at 90° to the body so just one end is over the coach. Then only one pole should activate the Reed switch. 

• Like 1

My LNER 4 wheel brake coach from Derails cleared house quarantine this morning and looks good.  An excellent rendition of teak; the lining is neat and the fact that it does not follow the panelling in not too obvious from normal viewing distance.  I have assembled kits of several GN coaches from 3D, Mousa etc and an ECJS clerestory dining car.  They are good models of authentic prototypes, but take me a long time to build and my painting and lining is clumsy and tar-brush compared with Hornby.  

I have watched several videos of the 6 wheelers but none have really tested their running and track-holding ability on complex trackwork.  Has anybody experience of this yet?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have a couple of auto trailers fitted with a cheapo Chinese Amazon version of this type of lighting, hiding the batteries in the guard's compartment, and while the lights are fine, the magnetic switching is a bit wobbly and If I do any more of these I'll buy the separately availably Hornby fittings.  The roofs come off the auto trailers easily enough and the lighting can be activated for a running session simply by inserting the battery into the holder, and removed at the end of the session.  Battery life is pretty good, and the lights will run at reasonable brightness for about 30 hours (I sacrificed a battery to experiment), sufficient for a month or two's running session (I don't use the lights for all of them) on an almost daily basis.

The lights are too bright, as most model railway lighting is, probably because it is designed to be visible in ambient lit room light and under layout lighting.  Steam age filament bulbs were pathetically feeble, probably not much of an improvement on oil lighting, and not visible in normal daytime lighting conditions; you'd struggle to see them at night in brightly lit stations.  I have dealt with this by painting over the leds with cream acrylic paint, one coat is sufficient and I'm happy with the overall effect.  Jenny Kirks' and Phil Parkers' vids show that the Hornby lighting is much more acceptable in this respect than the rather dazzilng Hatton's version.

I don't do actual night running, as there is as yet no system of providing lit loco and tail lamps that can be removed at terminuses to go on the other end of the loco/train, but lighting is very effective at suggesting dusk, heavy rain or a dull winter day, the more so on a layout set in the South Wales Valleys where it's like being in a badly lit grey room when the cloud is low on the mountainsides.  You can almost hear the male voice choir practicisng Sanctaidd in the background, us Welsh loves a bit of gloom and misery, we does, aye...

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Jenny Kirks' and Phil Parkers' vids show that the Hornby lighting is much more acceptable in this respect than the rather dazzilng Hatton's version.

Hattons have already said the brilliance is going to be reduced on the production versions. Those seen so far are the EP’s.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Maybe someday these coaches might appear as a circus train, including a caboose, and elephant in the room and a giraffe car. There could be the driver as the invisble man, and room for those 100 HO painted figures for £3,99 on ebay, whom all seem to wear  green and orange suits and hats, that no one in the real world ever wears.

You haven't seen any of Michael Portillo's programmes, then…

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 14

• Administrators
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Jenny Kirks' and Phil Parkers' vids show that the Hornby lighting is much more acceptable in this respect than the rather dazzilng Hatton's version.

As I said in my video on the Hattons coaches, this is being revised for production models - that's why I didn't demo it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I have a couple of auto trailers fitted with a cheapo Chinese Amazon version of this type of lighting, hiding the batteries in the guard's compartment, and while the lights are fine, the magnetic switching is a bit wobbly and If I do any more of these I'll buy the separately availably Hornby fittings. 

You might also want to look at Layouts4U who sell magnetically activated lighting (using latching reed switches) for £6.50 a throw which I think is a bit less than the Hornby offering (plus 50p for a magnet to work it, or £1.50 if you want the magnet on a stick).

Or you can buy the parts individually if you want.

I've had one for a while and found it very reliable.

I'm not saying the Hornby system is inspired by these, but they do look quite similar.

(Usual disclaimer: no connection but a satisfied customer of theirs...)

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Nile said:

I'm going to leave my passenegrs in the dark, since none of them have paid to travel.

Well, I hope they won't take any liberties: https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-the-kiss-in-the-tunnel-1899-online.

That's definitely a generic compartment interior!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ravenser said:

Since steampunk is Victorian, that could be another angle for the tooling ultimately, though probably 6 wheelers.

How about a train pack for Sherlock Holmes' special in pursuit of Moriarty....

The GC's Barnum stock was actually developed from a circus train - hence the name...

N.B. Mike Pett does 4mm figures for Sherlock Holmes, Doctor Watson and Professor Moriarty. Very good too.

The professor also makes for a very good undertaker, doffing his top hat !

Ray

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

On 18/01/2021 at 14:44, Caledonian said:

I will cheerfully confess that I have taken one of the new Hornby LSWR brakes and repainted and lettered it as a Caledonian Railway Diagram 45 brake. The side windows had to go and there are other minor imperfections but apart from the fact that its overscale by a couple of millimetres its a very easy bodge.

I’m guessing that’s a typo for the Diagram number as that would be a bit more than a ‘very easy bodge’ turning a 24’ 4 wheel Full Brake into a 48’ bogied 6-compartment Brake Third!

The Hornby 4 wheel Full Brake is a passable representation of a Caledonian Railway Diagram 4 Passenger Brake Van, the LNWR version could be a good choice for a full passenger livery version going by the comments on the colour shades Hornby appear to have chosen.

Brian.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, turbos said:

I’m guessing that’s a typo for the Diagram number as that would be a bit more than a ‘very easy bodge’ turning a 24’ 4 wheel Full Brake into a 48’ bogied 6-compartment Brake Third!

The Hornby 4 wheel Full Brake is a passable representation of a Caledonian Railway Diagram 4 Passenger Brake Van, the LNWR version could be a good choice for a full passenger livery version going by the comments on the colour shades Hornby appear to have chosen.

Brian.

He was referring to goods brakes.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Well, I hope they won't take any liberties: https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-the-kiss-in-the-tunnel-1899-online.

That's definitely a generic compartment interior!

The train at the start of the film had mis-matched coaches, both in style and roof profile. So a mix of Hornby & Hattons coaches would not be unprototypical. 

• Like 6