Hornby 2021 - 4 & 6 wheel period coaches

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Well we're on page 37 of this thread and page 107 of the Hattons thread.  Virtually saying the same things.

I think we went into thread drift a long time ago.  :prankster:

I think there have been a lot of pertinent things said on both threads, as well as some impertinent. Not thread drift so much as a very slow ascent achieved by going round in ever-diminishing circles.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I think there have been a lot of pertinent things said on both threads, as well as some impertinent. Not thread drift so much as a very slow ascent achieved by going round in ever-diminishing circles.

As long as we don't end up like the oozlum bird. :jester:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

It is one of the wonders of RM Web that an oozlum bird can appear on a topic about Hornby 4 - 6 wheel period coaches.

Before more of these coaches appear on layouts you may be interested to know that we have three grounded LSWR 6 wheel coaches on the Swanage Railway.  The eventual object is to restore them to running order as a vintage train.

The picture shows No 0695 which arrived on the Swanage Railway on 8 May 1976 as our first item of rolling stock. It is a 34' long third class coach built in 1885 to LSWR Diagram DB66.  Such was the rapid development of coaching stock that the LSWR wrote off the coach in 1904 and it was sold to be used as a domestic outbuilding in 1921.  

A sight of the Hornby and Hattons coaches may inspire the Swanage Railway to restore the coaches into working order.

P1000373.JPG

• Like 12

My GN 4 wheeler has been deGNised, the GNR lettering comes off using the Sharpie marker trick with minimal damage but removing the crests on the doors also takes off a fair amount of the teak finish. Looking at photos of the Bluebells LCDR brake 4 wheeler the doors are generally different to the body work so having tried a Citadel wash on the doors that could be passable at a pinch but hoping WHS will have the requisites to do an oil colour treatment of them.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 19/01/2021 at 13:15, 2750Papyrus said:

I have watched several videos of the 6 wheelers but none have really tested their running and track-holding ability on complex trackwork.  Has anybody experience of this yet?

In the review video I posted my six wheel coach was subjected to extensive running on curves, over pointwork and over 5% gradients and twisted track. It performed without issue. It has subsequently been seen running on my two hour weekly livestream, again with no issue. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Jenny Emily said:

In the review video I posted my six wheel coach was subjected to extensive running on curves, over pointwork and over 5% gradients and twisted track. It performed without issue. It has subsequently been seen running on my two hour weekly livestream, again with no issue. 

I think the key test is to have several running together.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Anyone else have their pre-orders for these coaches cancelled by Hattons? Just had an email informing me they were “unable to secure the stock to allocate to your pre-orderl, hopefully they haven’t fallen out with Hornby as well as Bachmann!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Straight out of the box, a gauging special to check platform clearances before fitting the step boards ...

DSCF5067crop.jpg.f124d5d9a168578072139ac64019cb02.jpg

DSCF5068crop.jpg.33648816f9d9d77c98836c1dae007651.jpg

I ordered two BTs to make up a four coach set, but unfortunately due to an administrative error by my supplier I have only received one. Soon sorted after a 'phone call and the second one is now on its way. I'll probably get another third to make a BT-T-F-T-BT set.  Step boards fitted and Hunt magnetic close couplings fitted, one close and one ultra close to each vehicle as two ultra close couplings are just too close without sprung buffers ...

DSCF5075crop.jpg.ffe6dcafe6716529fce89ae609672cae.jpg

The special was being shunted from the platform road to the sidings, to check running over the yard pointwork when the loco came to a sudden halt.  No amount of prompting would persuade it to move so a closer inspection was made upon which the problem became apparent ...

DSCF5077crop.jpg.a4d37101c55eaf1b316b30904812eb3f.jpg  

Ooops.  Fortunately the crankpin was found lying nearby.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

although for a time about 60 years before the period depicted!

I hereby invoke Rule 1!  I'll try not to run them alongside Bulleid 3-sets or Mark 1 stock.

Edited by SR Chris
Added an afterthought.
  • Like 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SR Chris said:

Step boards fitted and Hunt magnetic close couplings fitted, one close and one ultra close to each vehicle as two ultra close couplings are just too close without sprung buffers ...

Would it be worth a try on the very close coupled having the buffers in the compressed position, as they are in a fixed rake, more or less?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Watto1990 said:

Anyone else have their pre-orders for these coaches cancelled by Hattons? Just had an email informing me they were “unable to secure the stock to allocate to your pre-orderl, hopefully they haven’t fallen out with Hornby as well as Bachmann!

Unfortunately just received the same email. Reordered with another retailer but hoping this isn't the same slippery slope of other Hornby items becoming sold out on pre order like the upcoming W1 with a lot of retailers :sad_mini:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Watto1990 said:

Which livery was that? I've preordered some LSWR ones from Hattons, but theyre not due until next month.

• Like 3

A short running session featuring the all new Hornby 'Generic' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in smart BR Crimson. 
Announced as part of the Hornby 2021 Range, this suite of pre-grouping inspired coaches come in a wide selection of Pre-Grouping, Big Four and BR liveries, available with or without Hornby's new battery powered 'MagLight' lighting system.  
In this video we see the rake in action, hauled behind Ex Midland Railway 1532 Class, No. 58072 on my photo-plank micro layout. 
Hope you enjoy! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

4 hours ago, Watto1990 said:

That's seems to be the norm recently with hattons taking too many preorders for Hornby items and then having to cancel some. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Watto1990 said:

I had the "spiffing" pleasure of receiving such an email as well. I've had to make a new order for them from Kernow Models, and now it's just a case of "wait and see"...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, sem34090 said:

Dare I say it, but to me they're not as good as the Stadden figures, although obviously he doesn't do these two in 4mm/ft.

The Staddens are simply the best.  And true 1/76 scale.  Mike Petts are actually way too big.

But I enjoy painting them!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

That's seems to be the norm recently with hattons taking too many preorders for Hornby items and then having to cancel some. 

Or alternatively, Hornby not supplying the numbers ordered by Hattons.  Either way it's worrying, and given that Hattons and Hornby are after very similar markets here the cynic in me suspects jiggery pokery, though in fact spite of this sort will harm both parties and is counterconstructive.  I will avoid sourcing Hornby stuff from Hattons in this case.  We know that Hattons have history with Bachmann, and Rails with Hornby, but of course are not party to the details which are none of our business, and cannot make a judgement call over who is to blame.  I have my opinion, but will keep it to myself, thank; I have no evidence or proof for what I think.

In the case of these generic coaches, the train I wish to represent only needs one Hornby and 3 Hattons, and it will be easy enough to order direct from Hornby when I get around to it, which will not be until I order the Hattons coaches, probably from Hattons.  A single Hornby 4 wheeler at RRP and not discounted is not going to break the bank, even mine!  My most recent Hornby acquisition, a large prairie, came from Bure Valley Models and was the lowest price I could find for a brand new loco, appreciably lower than the big box shifter deals from the usual suspects, post free and promptly delivered; I'd have no hesitation in using them again.  OTOH, my pending Bachmann 94xx is pre-ordered from Rails, who were the cheapest in this case and a trustworthy outfit in my experience, but clearly not my first choice for Hornby!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

In the case of these generic coaches, the train I wish to represent only needs one Hornby and 3 Hattons, and it will be easy enough to order direct from Hornby when I get around to it, which will not be until I order the Hattons coaches, probably from Hattons. 

I'm not sure I'd have the confidence that Hornby would still have them by then.

8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

recent Hornby acquisition, a large prairie, came from Bure Valley Models and was the lowest price I could find for a brand new loco, 

Off topic. but I've been impressed with Bure Valley too. (Took me a while to connect them with the railway, which I've seen but not had the chance to travel on).

• Like 2
  • Agree 4