Hornby 2021 - 4 & 6 wheel period coaches

AY Mod

Looking at photos the top footboard seems in line with or above the bottom flange of the chassis rather than below it where the flange could potentially trip someone as they might sense the flange as being the rear of the step. I am trying the Hornby footboards mekpaked immediately above the flange. The Bluebell have run a 4 wheeler only with the top step [link to photo]

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nile said:

Is this any better?

MM184747.JPG.4d387e804654f3823c4dbeba46c4aee4.JPG

Better, in a sense. But still a few mm more to even get close to the Bluebell examples and still a long way to go to be more representative and therefore truly 'generic'.

I'm thinking something more like THIS to be a bit more like the norm you'd expect.

I agree, its an open hole for a 3D printer to cash in on or an etch.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Agreed, and I'm possibly glad I'm not going to be around for some of what might occur.

John 

I rated "agree", then thought I'd better clarify.

I'm not agreeing it'll be a glad thing you won't be around that long, rather, I agree that I won't be either!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

How wide do you think they should be?

Maybe a better idea is to make new upper boards from plastic strip, mounted onto the edge of the flange, and mount the Hornby boards lower down.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, The Johnster said:

A resistor will increase the load on the battery and shorten it's life, though I'd imagine performance would still be acceptable to most people. 

The battery will (approximately) have a fixed voltage.

Adding resistance reduces current (and hence LED brightness) so by my reckoning the power (voltage x current) goes down.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nile said:

How wide do you think they should be?

A shade under 9'0" overall - the Midland example I'm looking at is 8'10½". (The lower footboards are slightly further in - 8'9".) I'd say either having the underside of the footboard flush with the bottom of the solebar or the top at the solebar centreline would be the most probable locations.

Your photo has revealed (to me) a strange flange along the bottom of the solebar, extending out to the width of the headstocks. Where did that come from, Hornby?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Your photo has revealed (to me) a strange flange along the bottom of the solebar, extending out to the width of the headstocks. Where did that come from, Hornby?

What they should have done is extend it out further to form the upper footboard, and include proper lower ones. I think that may be worth a try.

The Hornby ones measure 36mm overall when fitted.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Coryton said:

The battery will (approximately) have a fixed voltage.

Adding resistance reduces current (and hence LED brightness) so by my reckoning the power (voltage x current) goes down.

There will be some heat generated in the resistor as it resists. The energy for that comes from the battery.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

There will be some heat generated in the resistor as it resists. The energy for that comes from the battery.

Exactly; the resistor increases the load on the battery and shortens it's life.  In this case a CR2032 will last a useful amount of time under normal use even with resistanors; a battery that lasts, say, 6 weeks is not in practice much inferior to one that lasts 8 in home use on a layout used daily.  OTOH, if you are running a big public display model like Pendon, it is an important consideration, because as a business as you want to keep your battery costs down and you coaches in operation.  I wouldn't worry about it for our purposes; bothers me far more that a compartment has a raised floor to hide the battery, which powers the very lights that illuminate the raised floor. 

Of course, there are other items with raised floors, Dapol bubble cars and flying bananas for example, and especially in the case of the flying banana with those big windows, the floor issue is blatantly obvious, and would be a problem for me were I  in the market for one.  TTBOMK no flaying banana ever appeared at Tondu and only one razor type, that on an SLS railtour and no further than Tondu Middle.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Exactly; the resistor increases the load on the battery and shortens it's life. 

The battery is a voltage, not a current, source; it provides a fixed potential difference V, for a CR 3202 this is about 3 V. This battery type is well-matched to the forward voltage of an white LED, giving a forward current I of around 20 mA. The power dissipated in the LED is P = I x V = 20 mA x 3 V = 60 mW. If it is desired to reduce the brightness of the LED, the current has to be reduced. Suppose we want to reduce the current to 10 mA. To obtain this current, the forward voltage across the LED has to be about 2.6 V (an LED has a non-linear V-I relationship, i.e. does not obey Ohm's Law). To do this, we need to add a resistor in series to give a voltage drop of 0.4 V at 10 mA, i.e. R = V / I = 0.4 V / 10 mA = 40 ohm. The power dissipated in the LED is now 10 mA x 2.6 V = 26 mW and in the resistor, 10 mA x 0.4 V = 4 mW; the total power dissipated is half of the previous case, since the current has been halved.

Battery life is generally expressed in milliamp-hours, mAh. Halving the current will double the battery life. 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Round of applause 3

On 21/01/2021 at 20:31, Mel_H said:

This may have been posted in one of the other 38 pages on this thread, if so, admin please delete!

Otherwise, here's some prototype inspiration.

DE962673 at Stratford in about 1965. Not listed by Longworth but believed to be an ex GER 6-wheel Brake Third. Photo: Graham Young

Source: https://www.ltsv.com/rd/photo_view.php?id=5387

DE962673.jpg

Great picture.

This is pure Great Eastern.  Note 'J' hangers in central springs only.  The body style looks to be that of the last iteration of 6-wheelers built by the company, the so-called 'square lights', built 1896-1903.  This is evidently a brake third in origin, so D519.

D&S did kits of these coaches.  However, square lights were less numerous and less prevalent in photographs than those built over the preceding decade, which had large/3 radius curves to the top of the windows and vertical panels, e.g. 148 such brake thirds compared with 35 square lights. 

Fortunately, David Eveleigh has recently released etched kits of the more numerous earlier style.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
On 23/01/2021 at 08:15, Zunnan said:

In the same vein, I'd have to look up whats running out there today. Given that the modern day railway pretty much anywhere can be represented by a class 66 and a class 150, aren't modern railways generic as a whole anyway? :jester:

Not round here they can't. Passenger trains (which is the majority of the traffic) are all EMUs, with class 66s on the relatively few freights. No DMUs at all.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Budgie said:

Not round here they can't. Passenger trains (which is the majority of the traffic) are all EMUs, with class 66s on the relatively few freights. No DMUs at all.

Thats an easy fix, stick a 3rd rail shoe on the 150 and jobs a goodun. :good:

• Funny 7

On 23/01/2021 at 08:15, Zunnan said:

In the same vein, I'd have to look up whats running out there today. Given that the modern day railway pretty much anywhere can be represented by a class 66 and a class 150, aren't modern railways generic as a whole anyway? :jester:

My local area is run almost entirely on 377s and 313s  (for that reason they're the only 'modern' 3 digit things I'm familiar with) :p

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Nile said:

As to why? Because it's there.

The best of all possible reasons.

That's looking much more like a carriage now. 

Those lamp irons are in rather peculiar positions, though, and I've commented on the arrangement of the end steps before. Do the Hornby carriages have train alarm gear at the other end? Essential for a carriage branded LNER, or any after c. 1903-5.

• Like 3