Hornby 2021 - 4 & 6 wheel period coaches

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

I still say is because Hornby haven't made generic carriages at all.

No indeed; failed Stroudleys.

I can understand the desire to do Stroudley carriages since the IEG Terrier is currently pretty much the only RTR engine around in genuinely Victorian condition (give or take, noting that there are two manufacturers in the case) and has nothing to run with.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2
  • Agree 6

30 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

which I still say is because Hornby haven't made generic carriages at all.

22 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

No indeed; failed Stroudleys.

And that still won't stop the modelling press waxing lyrical about the virtues of these vehicles and become very defensive over the 'generic' description being bandied around, rather than lament the lost opportunity under which they presumably first began development. That is a proper set of Stroudleys...before they were misappropriated into what has since arrived. They could have produced a fantastic set of accurate coaches, and dolled them up in other liveries to fulfil those who wanted them as such. But like this they can't even dress up an LBSC coach in LBSC or SR livery and have it be correct. Its not a missed opportunity, its a discarded one, for probably very little gain over what could (and should) have been.

• Like 5
  • Agree 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Generically modified presumably meaning swapped handrails and some general laziness with some details?

I say that as someone who will soon own four of these, but that's mostly because I'm modelling LBSCR stuff (for the layout they're destined for) and they're probably the best choice available to me currently.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

I say that as someone who will soon own four of these

You're not alone there Sem, Hattons have just billed me for the first 2 of my LBSC liveried ones, I rather look forward to re-Stroudleyfying them

Gary

• Like 3

22 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

If it's a stray magnetic field, I'd expect that the lights might turn on if they were originally turned off (I.e. using the magnet supplied) — have you tried this? I wouldn’t have thought bad contacts could make them turn on in such circumstances.

@D9020 Nimbus  I've done as you suggested, and yes, the lights do come on by themselves when in motion (without using the magnet).   

Yesterday I ordered a 2nd coach,  which has just arrived,  and that is just the same.  So, something on my layout/house is causing this to happen by the looks of it...  (?)

This could just be a coincidence,  but again,  it only seems to be happening when coupled to my Bachmann Dukedog.    My only other locos are a Bachmann 08, and an old Hornby 0-4-0,  and the lights didn't come on when running behind those.

Gosh, I've only been back in the hobby for a month (after a 10 year hiatus),  and I'm already tearing my hair out !   :help:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

I'm surprised noone has noticed that the GWR ones are a fairly good match for the coaches the company inherited from the Taff Vale Railway, several of which have been restored and preserved. Granted, they're not identical, but the brake end arrangement is very similar. Not sure if there is anything suitable RTR to pull them though.

News_Aug05_Pic2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DrStroganoff said:

@D9020 Nimbus  I've done as you suggested, and yes, the lights do come on by themselves when in motion (without using the magnet).   

Yesterday I ordered a 2nd coach,  which has just arrived,  and that is just the same.  So, something on my layout/house is causing this to happen by the looks of it...  (?)

This could just be a coincidence,  but again,  it only seems to be happening when coupled to my Bachmann Dukedog.    My only other locos are a Bachmann 08, and an old Hornby 0-4-0,  and the lights didn't come on when running behind those.

Gosh, I've only been back in the hobby for a month (after a 10 year hiatus),  and I'm already tearing my hair out !   :help:

Have you got an old compass handy?   Take that around the circuit by hand and see what happens to the needle.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DrStroganoff said:

This is getting interesting. Could you try two experiments?

1. Place the coaches next to the track and run the Dukedog past them, several times.

2. Place them on the track, but not coupled to anything. Run the Dukedog along the track up to them, without coupling to them.

I'm interested to see if this has any effect on them.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, DrStroganoff said:

Can I ask, does this only happen when you have switched the lights on to start with, i.e. they go off and then come back on, or do the lights come on if they have not been switched on by you to start with?  If the former, then the most likely cause is a poor battery connection which is breaking and then making again, if the latter then probably some sort of magnetic interference which is affecting the reed switch.

Regards

Roddy

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Roddy Angus said:

Can I ask, does this only happen when you have switched the lights on to start with, i.e. they go off and then come back on, or do the lights come on if they have not been switched on by you to start with?  If the former, then the most likely cause is a poor battery connection which is breaking and then making again, if the latter then probably some sort of magnetic interference which is affecting the reed switch.

Regards

Roddy

Hi Roddy,  thanks for the info.    Yes the lights do come on by themselves when I haven't switched them on to start with.     So yes, I'm thinking there must be some sort of magnetic interference.   

@Nile  I have tried your both of your suggestions,  neither of which caused the lights to turn on/off.   

Still only happens with the Dukedog though, as weird as it sounds.   I just ran the coaches with my class 08 for 20 minutes, and the lights didn't come on once.  As soon as I use the Dukedog, happens straight away.   Though I did just try running her tender-first,  and it didn't happen quite as frequently.   

I'm stumped.  I'll try and get my hands on a compass, as was previously suggested, and see if I can detect any kind of magnetic interference that way!

Thank you for the help/suggestions chaps.  

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, DrStroganoff said:

Still only happens with the Dukedog though, as weird as it sounds.   

If you still had an analogue cathode-ray TV, I'd be asking if you saw interference on that when running the Dukedog. I suspect that its rf suppression isn't working - is there a capacitor waving a leg in the air?

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

If you still had an analogue cathode-ray TV, I'd be asking if you saw interference on that when running the Dukedog. I suspect that its rf suppression isn't working - is there a capacitor waving a leg in the air?

I do have an old style TV in the room,  for my Commodore 64 computer.   But it hasn't been turned on.   Hmm...   I'll take it out of the room and see if that improves things.   Great suggestion, thanks!  

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, DrStroganoff said:

I do have an old style TV in the room,  for my Commodore 64 computer.   But it hasn't been turned on.   Hmm...   I'll take it out of the room and see if that improves things.   Great suggestion, thanks!  

I think the idea was to see if there was interference on the TV when the Dukedog was run......

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1