Hornby 2021 - 4 & 6 wheel period coaches

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Mel_H said:

Some more inspiration, with what appears to be a very grubby 6-wheeler. Obviously, we all need a B3; jolly handsome!

Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=2880520362224199&set=gm.3728479410507309

1925 and 1928 at Wakefield Westgate Station. It shows former Great Central locomotive 'Lord Stuart of Wortley' in the early days of the LNER when it ran as no. 6168.jpg

This photograph was taken not long after grouping. The locomotive appears to still carry its GC number on the cab side. The LNER inherited the greatest number of four and six wheel coaches at grouping. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

This photograph was taken not long after grouping. The locomotive appears to still carry its GC number on the cab side. The LNER inherited the greatest number of four and six wheel coaches at grouping. 

According to "LNER Carriages" by Michael Harris, even by 1934 the LNER had 247 four-wheeled and 2632 six-wheeled carriages (p.28).

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 3

17 hours ago, nathan70000 said:

I'm surprised noone has noticed that the GWR ones are a fairly good match for the coaches the company inherited from the Taff Vale Railway, several of which have been restored and preserved. Granted, they're not identical, but the brake end arrangement is very similar.

Good spot, enough justification for the GW baggage brake on the preserved vintage train; even if the Taff Vale did not have such compartment doors and windows could have been filled in during later departmental use. Whilst the normal to look at free postage discount price suppliers (Details and Gaugemaster) are devoid of them Time Tunnel have stocks and adding at least £3.01 to your order gains free postage so a pack of Tamiya sanding sheets ordered as well.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, tractionman said:

According to "LNER Carriages" by Michael Harris, even by 1934 the LNER had 247 four-wheeled and 2632 six-wheeled carriages (p.28).

Cheers,

Keith

Mostly GER designed. One of the big reasons why so many NER (and other) design bogie coaches got cascaded to that area. As well as I think mentioned above the quints built in a hurry for the Jazz service. By 1938 the bulk had been replaced.

Here's an example - D408 4 wheel 3rd class:

14600-408E.jpg.39d69ec4eb1fed5cb4acb88121d55c6e.jpg

Note the "Number Existing" to the right hand side.

124 in 1932

121 in 1933

116 in 1934

Gone by 1936

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 6

On 27/01/2021 at 12:18, DrStroganoff said:

Has anyone experienced any problems with the lighting in these coaches?

I've just taken delivery of my first 6-wheel coach (R40124A BR Crimson).   After a brief testing of the lights, all appeared OK.   I took the coach up to the layout for a run,  and noticed that the lights keep turning themselves on and off while in motion.     When the coach is static, (eg, in a siding) then they seem to stay on OK.   But as soon as the coach is moving behind a loco,  the lights turn off after about 5-10 seconds, and then randomly turn on and off by themselves. 

I seem to be having some temperamental lights as well (I'll go into the truly awful bleed on the carriage sides on the 4 wheel 1st class carriage later). On first test after a couple of circuits my 1st class 4 wheeler (running directly behind a Hornby Terrier) lights turned off by themselves. The brake carriage behind didn't seem to have the same problems.

Had a look after second time it did it and the battery did seem slightly loose so pushed it in, but it still did it again after a few loops again. After a further check inside and it still doing it, turned the carriage round and the problem did not occur in the couple of minutes I tested it for. Will give it more tests over the weekend and see if the problem persists in one direction only.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I don't know if anyone has tried but two teak coaches have Hornby close couplers attached. The gap doesn't seem to make much difference so for those wanting close couplings, roco ones may be a better choice. 

Curiously, I also put a 6 wheel coach next to the recent Gresley teak bogie third. Still a similar gap but the corridor connector makes the coaches feel closer. The colours are slightly different but seem to be a good match with each other; the gresley being more brown and the graining is much more subtle. Both effects are rather wonderful and are great additions to LNER coaching stock.

IMG_3960.jpg

IMG_3961.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of close coupling I tried a mod to the supplied couplings, as the gap is way too big with them as they come.

MM184765.JPG.298a3efc14adaa79d011b1519b312b94.JPG

MM184766.JPG.571b3f5c1bc5eec16af13137100c90d0.JPG

It won't go round train set curves now, but looks a lot better. I've only checked it with Peco large points.

Edit - they are glued in.

Edited by Nile
  • Like 13

5 minutes ago, Nile said:

On the subject of close coupling I tried a mod to the supplied couplings, as the gap is way too big with them as they come.

It won't go round train set curves now, but looks a lot better. I've only checked it with Peco large points.

The gap looks much better with the modifications you've made :D :D

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Nile said:

The original ones shown look like longish ones, maybe just use short ones?

Just checked out my removed tension locks (I fit Kadees to most rolling stock) and there is more than 3mm difference between the shortest and longest loops on straight shank couplings.

The shortest was about 9.4mm and the longest 12.8mm measured from the shoulder to the front of the loop.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, leeadavo said:

I seem to be having some temperamental lights as well (I'll go into the truly awful bleed on the carriage sides on the 4 wheel 1st class carriage later). On first test after a couple of circuits my 1st class 4 wheeler (running directly behind a Hornby Terrier) lights turned off by themselves. The brake carriage behind didn't seem to have the same problems.

Had a look after second time it did it and the battery did seem slightly loose so pushed it in, but it still did it again after a few loops again. After a further check inside and it still doing it, turned the carriage round and the problem did not occur in the couple of minutes I tested it for. Will give it more tests over the weekend and see if the problem persists in one direction only.

Oh, not just me then.    Have you tried yours with other locos besides your Terrier, to see if the problem persists?   As I've said, my coaches only do it behind a particular loco (Bachmann Dukedog). 

Have tried the previously mentioned suggestions regarding my old TV,  but there was no interference present on the screen when the Dukedog was running.  

There's only one thing left for me to do...   Buy another loco !  (Purely for the purpose of testing these coaches, of course.)  :lol:

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

My finger of suspicion would point at the reed switch as it's a mechanical device and most likely to be affected by movement. But I haven't got one of these lighting units to experiment with so I'm mostly guessing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

If the problem is the reed switch triggering then the Dukedog motor is presumably emitting a magnetic field - suggest draping foil over the Dukedog which might be sufficient to cut out the field. If it does stop the problem then the fun commences in trying to provide a shield in either the Dukedog or the coach, or both.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

If the problem is the reed switch triggering then the Dukedog motor is presumably emitting a magnetic field - suggest draping foil over the Dukedog which might be sufficient to cut out the field. If it does stop the problem then the fun commences in trying to provide a shield in either the Dukedog or the coach, or both.

Streamlined Dukedog? ;) 

It’d have to be a hell of a powerful magnetic field to affect a Reed switch 4 - 6” away so highly unlikely to be the loco. 

2 hours ago, Nile said:

My finger of suspicion would point at the reed switch as it's a mechanical device

Yes especially if there’s a fragment of metal loose in the switch although it must be operating a latching circuit as the magnet is just waved over it so a loose battery, as mentioned above, causing a dodgy power supply could also be causing it with the rough running. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I was thinking more of mechanical forces, rather than magnetic, as implied by this:

On 27/01/2021 at 13:04, DrStroganoff said:

Oddly,  it only seems to be doing it when running with my Bachmann Dukedog (which runs like a bit of a dog).   When coupled to my Bachmann Class 08 (smooth runner), lights stayed on.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

TIn-foil hat time?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Nile said:

Actually it's ok down to second radius, including a reverse curve. Not bad.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just to say that I received unexpectedly 3 of the Hornby GWR 4-wheelers - they weren't ordered, but nevertheless included in my parcel. I have to say that they're not that bad for 'generic' coaches. I had read the comments earlier regarding the duckets and the rather bare underframes, but notwithstanding, the finish is quite good.

If I hadn't read the comments, I wouldn't really have been any the wiser!

I await with impatience for the Hattons' ones as they were the ones I wanted. I see no reason why the Hornby and Hattons' ones couldn't happily live side-by-side. As in the photos posted above, there appears to be a real mixture of stock in 4/6-wheel rakes. I can see further acquisitions being made!

If anyone is interested, L&B of Cardiff have received stocks of the 6-wheelers.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 2