Hornby 2021 - 4 & 6 wheel period coaches

AY Mod

Unfortunately, the end of the LNER brake coach is not painted properly and the light shines through. the whole part is made of clear plastic and the light is only blocked by the paint.
Two of the coaches had difficulty turning on the lights. But in both cases it was due to the battery contacts.

IMG_20210131_103707684.jpg.8a0fb6628fbb487d96cbdfbd58606708.jpg

Aristoteles Held

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, kwste said:

Unfortunately, the end of the LNER brake coach is not painted properly and the light shines through. the whole part is made of clear plastic and the light is only blocked by the paint.

Paint it black on the inside?

• Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

If the problem is the reed switch triggering then the Dukedog motor is presumably emitting a magnetic field - suggest draping foil over the Dukedog which might be sufficient to cut out the field. If it does stop the problem then the fun commences in trying to provide a shield in either the Dukedog or the coach, or both.

Certainly not kitchen foil as that is made from aluminium and will pass magnetism.

You need a mu-metal shield:jester:

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Running on my main layout today, had issues with both of my carriages turning their lights on and off by themselves, it seems to occur over power feeds and points. Really disappointed with the lighting, I really liked the idea, especially running on DC that lighting would stay on when stopped at a station. But am really considering returning them as they do not work as they should.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, kwste said:

Two of the coaches had difficulty turning on the lights. But in both cases it was due to the battery contacts.

Aristoteles Held

What about a piece of thin card cut to the shape of the end and with cut outs for the windows and printed with the interior details? 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, kwste said:

Aristoteles Held

Cutting and shutting onto a bogie frame would make them a terrific "pre-grouping" EMU...

• Like 6

Think I might have inadvertently found the cause of  the lights self triggering off or on. With a view of changing the roof fittings I decided it would be advisable to  temporarily remove the lights so that  a drill does not damage the pcb. With both fitting screws removed the pcb was still tight on the mountings and needed levering off them which resulted in it falling out onto the floor and the lights came on. Picking it up I gave it a shake and the lights went off. So it seems a jerk in the motion of a train or a bounce on a frog or poorly aligned rail joint could be enough to trigger them. The pcb incidentally does not include another magnet as I and others thought. It has six resistors (4 1k ohm, presumably one per  LED),   two transistors and an IC. The pcb has also has markings for a number of components that are not fitted; a further IC, two resistors, a diode and a capacitor

Hornby coach light strip.jpg

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

Think I might have inadvertently found the cause of  the lights self triggering off or on. With a view of changing the roof fittings I decided it would be advisable to  temporarily remove the lights so that  a drill does not damage the pcb. With both fitting screws removed the pcb was still tight on the mountings and needed levering off them which resulted in it falling out onto the floor and the lights came on. Picking it up I gave it a shake and the lights went off. So it seems a jerk in the motion of a train or a bounce on a frog or poorly aligned rail joint could be enough to trigger them. The pcb incidentally does not include another magnet as I and others thought. It has six resistors (4 1k ohm, presumably one per  LED),   two transistors and an IC. The pcb has also has markings for a number of components that are not fitted; a further IC, two resistors, a diode and a capacitor

Hornby coach light strip.jpg

Fascinating.

A little magnet on the reed switch to convert it into a latching one and you'd get much simpler electronics  - and from the sound of things something rather more reliable.

4 hours ago, melmerby said:

You need a mu-metal shield:jester:

Or metglas

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

Definitely and the reed switch needs a reasonably stable mount; wondering if the PCB was fitted with a sprung mounting that might stop the false triggering.

Might also be how accurately the Reed switch is mounted, one would assume if it were “side oriented” the up and down jerking motion wouldn’t affect it so much, you may have to use the magnet at one side of the roof though rather than directly above.....?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 27/01/2021 at 14:04, DrStroganoff said:

it only seems to be doing it when running with my Bachmann Dukedog (which runs like a bit of a dog)

4 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

So it seems a jerk in the motion of a train or a bounce on a frog or poorly aligned rail joint could be enough to trigger them.

That seems to be a match.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Video review of a couple of the carriages, for a look at the lighting skip to 02:10. The first class carriage has the awful bleed down its sides, showing the shape of the seating, while the 3rd class brake doesn't, but does have the bleed through the end of the carriage.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 27/01/2021 at 22:05, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Stumbled on this photo this evening! Thought it might be of interest, a good mix in that train 

An unidentified LBSCR, RJ Billinton designed E5 class 0-6-2 radial tank passes through Norbury whilst in charge of a Victoria to Edenbridge orTunbridge Wells service. The loco's name is unclear but it is a long word beginning with 'C' which narrows it down to either no. 568 Carisbrook or no. 585 Crowborough. [Mike Morant collection]

Must be a fake photo, there's a white roof in there...

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

46 minutes ago, 57xx said:

Haha what I love about it is Southern (by which I mean various southern based pre group railways )  are pretty renoun for using sets but that seems to be put together with what ever they had lying around in the sidings 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, 57xx said:

11 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Haha what I love about it is Southern (by which I mean various southern based pre group railways )  are pretty renowned for using sets but that seems to be put together with what ever they had lying around in the sidings 

That's an interesting photo, as the train contains both Stroudley and Billinton stock, and it clearly demonstrates the difference in roof height between the two designers' output.  The first and last full brakes are Stroudley, as is the centre six wheel first, with white upper panels, the rest are Billinton, inclduing oneof his unusual double ended brake vans. From what I have seen of the photos, running Hattons and Hornby stock together will give the same mixed appearance, as the former's roof profile appears to be higher than Hornby's.

The Brighton certainly did like keeping things in sets, but, as you say, there were plenty of loose vehicles lying around to create scratch trains for specials or excursions.

• Like 3