Hornby 2021 - 4 & 6 wheel period coaches

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Nile said:

Are the NBR coaches actually painted? It doesn't look like the LBSCR ones I have are, apart from the roof.

Yes it certainly looks like paint but I’m not scraping it to check ;) 

ACBFB137-8C93-4285-9952-80694E6D16E1.jpeg.5cee2bcebf1cfe61c843726ff39ead92.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The reference you quote is a book on structure colours. Does it specifically state that the same applied to paint used in the Carriage & Wagon paint shop?

The book contains extracts and minutes from the GWR paint committee. The extracts in the book are about structures but there is nothing to indicate that rolling stock was treated any differently nor can I think of any reason it would be? 

Regards,

Craig W

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Craigw said:

The book contains extracts and minutes from the GWR paint committee. The extracts in the book are about structures but there is nothing to indicate that rolling stock was treated any differently nor can I think of any reason it would be? 

Regards,

Craig W

"Paint Committee" - the GWR management structure was clearly different. I'd assume that paint for structures would be the province of the Engineer's Department and for rolling stock, the Carriage & Wagon Department. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

"Paint Committee" - the GWR management structure was clearly different. I'd assume that paint for structures would be the province of the Engineer's Department and for rolling stock, the Carriage & Wagon Department. 

That is what I have found very interesting with the whole approach.   

One of the items raised as being a concern for the committee was the exposure of employees to lead and its health consequences. Incidentally, the Chair of the committee was one W.S Stanier when it was formed.

Regards,

Craig W

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

4 hours ago, Nile said:

I've found the lining comes off quite easily, handle with care! This is on the teak coaches, others might be different.

Are you suggesting that merely rubbing with ones hands will remove the lining, or did you have some assistance?  Apart from one loco, which I handle very carefully, I have no ready to run stock, and any lining or lettering on my models is protected with satin varnish.

15 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Yes it certainly looks like paint but I’m not scraping it to check ;) 

ACBFB137-8C93-4285-9952-80694E6D16E1.jpeg.5cee2bcebf1cfe61c843726ff39ead92.jpeg

Are the sides moulded in clear plastic. The ends on the brake coaches appear to be, which has caused a problem with light leakage as the paint appears to be quite thin.

I am currently awaiting some LBS&CR coaches with lights, so have not been able to check this for myself yet.

Ray

• Like 2

Thanks for all the advice so far, just two more questions, Has anyone established the tightest curve that the Hornby 6 wheelers will negotiate without wheel jamming or derailment?  Secondly, Hornby only seem to be making the 4 wheel brake third in three liveries, GWR, LBSCR, and LSWR, does anyone know if they will be extending this in the future, hopefully North British?

2 hours ago, Dokotela said:

Regarding Hatton’s dates, I’ve just received an invoice for the balance of my NBR rake with dispatch imminent. I suspect the dates are for new pre-orders. The break third came last week, along with the LNWR 4w brake.

Stephen

Me too, which makes me very happy, but it suggests that Hattons are scrambling to get enough stock to honour the pre-orders with nothing left over for general stock

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Its the fallacy of taking pre-orders before the actual order quantity is confirmed and the fact that to too many Hattons are the only trader  - if your order is less than £175 it will be automatically cheaper elsewhere given post free offers by other retailers (Gaugemaster over £15, Derails £20 and Time Tunnel £30)

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

Are the sides moulded in clear plastic.

Ray

9 hours ago, Nile said:

No, just the end of the brake.

Thats useful to know. How are the ends fixed in and are they part of the glazing or a separate item?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Thats useful to know. How are the ends fixed in and are they part of the glazing or a separate item?

The glazed ends are separate parts, glued to the rest of the body. They are common to both the full brake and brake third.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Nile said:

The glazed ends are separate parts, glued to the rest of the body. They are common to both the full brake and brake third.

Just now, wainwright1 said:

I wonder if there is any intention to provide alternative ends for more generic coaches ?

All the best

Ray

Thank you. That means you can alter the end to your preferred configuration. I would use a clear plasticard end to the same shape with a laser cut or etched overlay.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

Thank you. That means you can alter the end to your preferred configuration. I would use a clear plasticard end to the same shape with a laser cut or etched overlay.

Posted just now

Are the duckets also a separate moulding ?

All the best

Ray

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 08/02/2021 at 12:37, JSpencer said:

Today I received 4 GNR Generic coaches. These are to occasionally run behind my Stirling single and Atlantic C1 (both NRM versions). I have included the NRM LNER Dynometer(?) car in one photo for teak comparison.

Stirling_Generic.jpg.4c681d6ac363f93137c33db2a7df4800.jpg

C1_Generic.jpg.c36cc6dcc088c458f1f17e2b168d8313.jpg

Stirling_C1_Generic.jpg.6e16a6738fa1a92ae53b9013cf6672f6.jpg

C1_Generic_Dyno.jpg.7fb2e106135fe5747be8d6947c114c95.jpg

There seem to be too many wheels not on the rails in these pictures.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2