Hornby 2021 - 4 & 6 wheel period coaches

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Generic is as generic does....  :rolleyes:

Ok, I'll pretend that its got continuous brakes, get another 3rd carriage and weather over the number. 

I'm not saying that a brake third at each end of the train would be wrong, far from it! Just that it's not actually providing any additional brake power. There should be a guard's compartment at each end, so that the guard can travel at the rear of the train whichever direction it's going in, and be ready to walk back put his detonators down to protect the rear of his train, should it come to an unwonted halt in section.

• Like 3

On 03/03/2021 at 16:26, Hroth said:

Very nice!

I decided I didn't want to encourage the nobs to use the Parly service, and if extra carrying was needed a couple of vans would do...   However, given the woeful braking of the Coal Tank,  perhaps I should get another Brake 3rd.

On 03/03/2021 at 17:04, Compound2632 said:

I'm not saying that a brake third at each end of the train would be wrong, far from it! Just that it's not actually providing any additional brake power. There should be a guard's compartment at each end, so that the guard can travel at the rear of the train whichever direction it's going in, and be ready to walk back put his detonators down to protect the rear of his train, should it come to an unwonted halt in section.

Aside from the fact that passenger trains of any length often comprised more than one portion, involving brake coaches in locations other than the end, with shorter formations (of a single portion), the temptation is to bracket the train with brake thirds, whereas I come across more examples, from various companies, of using a brake third at one end and a luggage brake at the other.  The brake compartment at each end is explained by Compound's post.

Thus, Brian Mosby's arrangement looks entirely sensible to me.

A suburban block set will be different, there generally being less provision for luggage, so there, a brake third at each end would be more likely.  A suburban set is likely to be longer than many of us would want. For a branch or other short train, I'd go for something more like Brian's arrangement,

Edited by Edwardian
grammar
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Thus, Brian Mosby's arrangement looks entirely sensible to me.

A suburban block set will be different, there generally being less provision for luggage, so there, a brake third at each end would be more likely.  A suburban set is likely to be longer than many of us would want. For a branch or other short train, I'd go for something more like Brian's arrangement,

Whilst agreeing with you in general, I have to say not for the LNWR in South Wales, which is what Brian's cameo represents. There, the 28 ft 4-wheelers dominated, so I think he should regard his Hornby 6-wheelers as placeholders until the Hattons carriages arrive; those in turn being placeholders until he gets round to building the LRM kits!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

Th

8 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Whilst agreeing with you in general, I have to say not for the LNWR in South Wales, which is what Brian's cameo represents. There, the 28 ft 4-wheelers dominated, so I think he should regard his Hornby 6-wheelers as placeholders until the Hattons carriages arrive; those in turn being placeholders until he gets round to building the LRM kits!

The LNWR coaches I have will not be be used on the layout shown Blaendulais is also set in WW2

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Most model railways have to be compressed to some degree, so a set of an appropriate composition would be (I hope) acceptable.  Mine will eventually run on a fictionalised GWR/LNWR joint branch, so a short set will be fine!

• Like 1

So, contrary to my previous comments I've actually bought a couple of the six-wheelers to repaint into the livery of my fictional EN&LR company - Here's the result;

IMG_20210304_151927_383.jpg.a1255069384e6e49f3b2c8aa71411751.jpg

They're still very much LBSCR-derived, but they'll do as a stop-gap measure until I can get around to building something better.

• Like 9

Thank you for the picture of a repainted six-wheeler.

While my model of the original Swanage Station was waiting for the delivery of an LSWR Road Van and some LSWR 4-wheel coaches with lights it had some visitors from the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway,

P1000620.JPG

• Like 7

Ive been following this thread but may have missed it.

Has anyone tried to remove the buffers from either 4 or 6 wheel  chassis? A project I want to do required the buffers to be changed and I want to use the housing as a drill guide before cutting it off.

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Ive been following this thread but may have missed it.

Has anyone tried to remove the buffers from either 4 or 6 wheel  chassis? A project I want to do required the buffers to be changed and I want to use the housing as a drill guide before cutting it off.

Cheers

Yes, Nile has here:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82968-niles-mostly-freelance-bodging-bench-Hornby-gmb-coaches/page/37/&tab=comments#elControls_4320841_menu

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Nick Holliday said:

Poplar is at Selsdon Road, circa 1883

Gipsyhill is at Bognor in 1900, according to Middlemass

The carriages are oil-lit in 1883; I'm not entirely sure what one's seeing by way of brake gear but although the engine has a Westinghouse pump, I can't see any sign of brake-blocks on the leading side of the first carriage's wheels, suggesting that it is hand-brake only. Not much else downstairs. The leading carriage has split-spoke wheels; also it has individual quarter-lights to the compartments, so is not one of the original block train carriages.

Gas-lit by 1900, with cylinders visible - all on this side, is that a happy accident or was there a cylinder on each side? The passenger brake vans leading and trailing retain their original oil lamp. At least the leading one still has split-spoke wheels but the passenger-carrying vehicles all have Mansell wheels. The clap brakes to all wheels can be clearly seen, which reinforces my impression that the 1883 train lacks continuous air brakes.

Plenty to be seen in those photos, even by someone with as little knowledge of the Brighton as myself, illustrating how much the railway had changed between the early 80s and the turn of the century, despite the same locomotives and carriages.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Note that the brake third in the top picture has only two oil lamps for the three compartments.

Both the brake carriages are thus illuminated. 

Is it just that Brighton oil lamps were bigger than most, or is it that these early carriages are so small?

• Like 2

I think I would very much like to have an early 1950's  6 wheel Camping coach model in a siding.

Re Modelling one - As I am only a RTR modeller, thus may I ask please what would be the best Hornby 6 wheeler to get that would be the easiest to get repainted into BR (S) early 1950's green -  the all 1st class looks the best one----

Do I choose a BR crimson one (grey roof) or an Olive green (white roof) - I would think, as I need a grey roof that the Crimson ones would work easier for a repaint ?

thanks in advance for any comments Rog.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Is it just that Brighton oil lamps were bigger than most, or is it that these early carriages are so small?

I think it's just that the coaches are small. They only look as big as they do as Brighton mistakenly sized the Terrier drawings to HO. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I was pointing out that only two lamps illuminated three compartments. Something that was discussed on this thread some time ago.

• Like 1

My five car set of GWR coaches arrived this afternoon.  I am most impressed.  At first I was a little hesitant in their purchase as I had previously pre-ordered 10 Hattons Genesis coaches,  but after the numerous pre-order cancellations reported by others for Hornby products from the store I was a little concerned that given the popularity of the GWR livery that my pre-order for Genesis coaches may not be fulfilled.

My set consists of a brake third, two third class coaches,  a first class and a full brake.  The fitting of the stepboards really finishes off the cars.  If I had not pre-ordered other coaches I could be tempted to buy further Hornby cars.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

My five car set of GWR coaches arrived this afternoon.  I am most impressed.  At first I was a little hesitant in their purchase as I had previously pre-ordered 10 Hattons Genesis coaches,  but after the numerous pre-order cancellations reported by others for Hornby products from the store I was a little concerned that given the popularity of the GWR livery that my pre-order for Genesis coaches may not be fulfilled.

You would probably be ok with Genesis coach pre-orders as they are Hattons own and wouldn't be subject to the vagaries of other manufacturers supply.

• Agree 7

7 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

My set consists of a brake third, two third class coaches,  a first class and a full brake.  The fitting of the stepboards really finishes off the cars.  If I had not pre-ordered other coaches I could be tempted to buy further Hornby cars.  

My issue with the Hornby GWR coaches is the missing lower footboards.

The Genesis ones have lower footboard in the correct position, in line with axle boxes.

I have ordered Genesis versions to use the underframe under GWR low siphons.

Both the Genesis four and six wheel versions are just asking for alternative tops.

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/shire/S104.php

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 2
  • Agree 1