Hornby 2021 - 4 & 6 wheel period coaches

AY Mod

1 minute ago, SR Chris said:

I reduced the light output of the LEDs by sticking small squares of yellow sticky label over them, two over most of them. Less light = less light bleed, simples!

I used the yellow sweet wrappers from a certain 'road' based box of chocolates,

made to a very good standard, normally available at Christmas!

It gives a better, more muted colour, more appropriate for the age/era.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

I used the yellow sweet wrappers from a certain 'road' based box of chocolates,

made to a very good standard, normally available at Christmas!

It gives a better, more muted colour, more appropriate for the age/era.

And great quality.....

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

They're glued in so I wouldn't dare attempt it in fear of breaking it

I would not be worried about breaking it as I was thinking in terms of replacing it with a piece of clear Perspex or acrylic and adding a laser cut overlay.

I can confirm the brake ends can be removed with some gentle persuasion - the one I got my hands on at least was very lightly glued in, although I did break two of the small lugs holding it in place during the removal, it was a clean break and the part fits back in place again quite happily - the glue is evidently stronger than the lugs!

20210313_122731.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, James Harrison said:

I can't help but think that this lightbleed issue is a problem that shouldn't be down to the purchaser to fix.  They'd be packed off back to Hornby for putting right if they were mine. 

It's a design error rather than a manufacturing error. You might be with your rights to reject them as being not of merchantable quality but I'm not sure Hornby could be obliged to correct the design error and re-supply. You would be better off looking for a similar product that is of merchantable quality.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, James Harrison said:

I can't help but think that this lightbleed issue is a problem that shouldn't be down to the purchaser to fix.  They'd be packed off back to Hornby for putting right if they were mine. 

I do agree in principle, but on a personal level I wanted the Stroudley(ish) carriages to satisfy a childhood itch, and the lights were an interesting feature so I shelled out the extra few quid per model to see what it was all about. As Compound says, it is a design issue, so returning them to Hornby in the hope of a better production run could take months, years or not even happen at all. The next batches are likely to be new liveries too. There is plenty of evidence on this forum alone that us railway modellers are not the most patient of breeds!

I've managed to improve mine and have enjoyed working on them, and will continue to do so until I'm happy. Its been a good opportunity to practice some modelling without any risk to the exterior of the product.

Lessons learnt and now I know for next time, if there is one, that Hornby's new lighting system is a poorly designed gimmick to be avoided.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

I have bought a LB&SCR set with lights. Having taken the top off the brake coach, I see that all the detail is moulded on the outside of the end which is then over painted with Venitian red ? This coat of paint is obviously too thin and translucent allowing the light through. Has anybody tried applying either another coat of the red paint over the end detail, or maybe a coat of black then a coat of red ? It would not be very practical trying to apply card or paint on the inside without it showing.

Obviously some dulling of the LEDs with coloured cellophane or paint will also help.

All the best

Ray

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mi-go-a-go-go said:

Hi all.

How are people going about solving the light bleed on the break coaches. My lner one is appalling and the end section is clear plastic with printed detail. So acrylic paint does not want to stick to well on the inside.

I would rather not disable or paint over the lights in the end section.

Hummm

My solution was no lights. Side benefits: no messing with batteries and a few quid saved.

• Like 5
  • Agree 8

23 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Speaking of mods, well complete reconstruction, this is my project currently. 

Being curious, are you using the Hornby underframes with the axleboxes removed for your bogie coach?

A friend of mine has bought some coaches just for the underframes to go under incomplete 6 wheel vans.

I thought it was a bit extravagant but he reckons the accuracy of the axleboxes and springs make it worth while.

Rodney

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RodneyS said:

Being curious, are you using the Hornby underframes with the axleboxes removed for your bogie coach?

A friend of mine has bought some coaches just for the underframes to go under incomplete 6 wheel vans.

I thought it was a bit extravagant but he reckons the accuracy of the axleboxes and springs make it worth while.

Rodney

Depending on which coaches he's bought, there might be some interest in the bodies and seating for kitbashing into other diagrams...

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, RodneyS said:

Rodney

Yes I have stripped the underframes completely to a basic shell and grafted them together. Possibly harder than starting from scratch but i'm retaining the body clips.

The springs/axleboxes are very good mouldings but ive used Ratio/Peco LNWR Fox bogies so haven't re-used them.

• Like 3

Just following up on my earlier lighting issue, which appears to be solved!

A few pages back I was having trouble with the coach lights turning themselves on and off randomly.   Hornby requested that I send the coaches to them for inspection.  So they've been at Hornby HQ for the last month or so,  during which time I have changed my layout over to DCC control. 

This weekend I received the coaches back, and they couldn't find any problems  (Apart from one coach with a faulty reed switch, but that's another story).   Anyway, I've had them running on the layout all afternoon with no lighting problems today.    I wonder if the cause was a dodgy DC controller?     Happy that it's sorted,   now to sort out the light bleed !

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Free At Last said:

I thought the lighting was battery powered.

Yes, the lighting is battery powered.    However,  something in my setup was triggering the lights to turn on/off by themselves, and I couldn't fathom what the problem was.    Changed over to DCC and the problem has gone away.   Strange, I know...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

But in the Hornby cases under discussion, these are not questions of quality control but of research and design. And as you've said, when Hornby puts its collective mind to it, it can do both research and design as well as anybody.

I was replying to the A2 QC issues BH mentioned there and you could say this light bleed is also a QC issue potentially as they may have specified two coats to stop it and only one applied? It’s more probable they did the light tests on a normal coach and missed it as a minor design error but it would have been easy to spot and solve for future ones at the QC check as the first batch came off the line. 
It may be they hadn’t put the test in the QC process which is why it got through. 

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Administrators

I've been busy over the weekend so hadn't been keeping an eye on this thread.

There has now been a tidy up to remove off topic posts, several of which were abusive. Please keep discussions to the coaches.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

This thread has gone off track, it's turned into a lets bash Hornby about anything affair. Certain members have made their point, repeatedly.

To bring it back to the rolling stock this thread is about, i picked up the LSWR 4 wheelers on Saturday to go with my impulse buy (LSWR T9 120). From a distance the coaches look nice, the livery is good, wheels and underframe are nicely done, the roof also looks good.

However as some have pointed out the moulding at the end of coaches is abit.....well rubbish, they really let the model down. I'm pleased with my purchase (£25 each) so are they value for money ? In my opinion, yes. Will I buy more, maybe the SR versions, when the lighting versions appears.

Edited by jonnyuk
my awful writing skills
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I've been busy over the weekend so hadn't been keeping an eye on this thread.

There has now been a tidy up to remove off topic posts, several of which were abusive. Please keep discussions to the coaches.

sorry Phil, you posted as i was typing and clicked send

• Like 1