Hornby 2021 - 4 & 6 wheel period coaches

AY Mod

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

I hope those can prove to be of some use to save you having to do the 11 or so hours of research I did!

It certainly was Gary; thank you! I went down the rabbit hole and thought 'surely I'm missing something here' as everything I looked at was somewhat a stranger to facts. It's hard to write a review whilst you head keeps shaking. :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

It certainly was Gary; thank you! I went down the rabbit hole and thought 'surely I'm missing something here' as everything I looked at was somewhat a stranger to facts. It's hard to write a review whilst you head keeps shaking. :biggrin_mini2:

Not a problem Andy,

I don't often pickup any model railway magazines any more, but I'll look forward to picking up BRM and reading your review!

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/04/2021 at 17:05, AY Mod said:

I went down the rabbit hole and thought 'surely I'm missing something here' as everything I looked at was somewhat a stranger to facts. It's hard to write a review whilst you head keeps shaking

Should’ve given us a call Andy ;-)

• Like 4

A short running session featuring my recently modified Hornby 'Generic' 4 & 6 wheel coaches repainted into S&DJR Prussian blue livery.
In this video we see the rake in action, hauled behind Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway (SDJR) Midland Railway 1532 Class 0-4-4T, No. 54 on my photo-plank micro layout, edited with real sound. 
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

14 hours ago, SDJR7F88 said:

A short running session featuring my recently modified Hornby 'Generic' 4 & 6 wheel coaches repainted into S&DJR Prussian blue livery.
In this video we see the rake in action, hauled behind Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway (SDJR) Midland Railway 1532 Class 0-4-4T, No. 54 on my photo-plank micro layout, edited with real sound. 
Hope you enjoy!

Bloody hell, that’s impressive! In the sideways slow shot, you have the beat perfectly synchronised.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the pictures of the LNER coaches. 

A new book about Harmans Cross Railway Station has a chapter about the restoration of LSWR six-wheel 5 compartment composite (body only) built in 1891.  After Mrs P Bayley donated the coach to Dorset Council the original intention was to restore the coach to working order.  Unfortunately the railway had to abandon this aim due to damage done on its move to the end of a platform at Harmans Cross. Despite this the panels damaged by the ravages of time have been repaired, the coach has been repainted malachite green and passengers painted behind perspex windows. There is a lot of information about the coach and its restoration. When it was at Corfe Castle the Swanage Railway painted the coach in LSWR livery. It is interesting to compare this with the Hornby LSWR 5 compartment 3rd class coaches.

P1000937.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not the best photos, but I've just finished giving my 6-wheelers a bit of simple weathering to make them look suitably dilapidated for the BR era.

coa01.jpg.f103d72a0077b4217355b8ad66a27ca6.jpg

coa02.jpg.7f3dfc3f5fb875ac48ee3e0f813977e1.jpg

The setting is East London, a fictional dock that for some reason still gets passenger trains. Due to the clearances, modern suburban rolling stock cannot be used (a problem that the real life London and Blackwall Railway shared). Therefore, a couple of coaches from an East Anglian light railway were snaffled from the scrap line at Stratford. Research is ongoing as to which light railway it was.

• Like 11

8 hours ago, HonestTom said:

Not the best photos, but I've just finished giving my 6-wheelers a bit of simple weathering to make them look suitably dilapidated for the BR era.

coa01.jpg.f103d72a0077b4217355b8ad66a27ca6.jpg

coa02.jpg.7f3dfc3f5fb875ac48ee3e0f813977e1.jpg

The setting is East London, a fictional dock that for some reason still gets passenger trains. Due to the clearances, modern suburban rolling stock cannot be used (a problem that the real life London and Blackwall Railway shared). Therefore, a couple of coaches from an East Anglian light railway were snaffled from the scrap line at Stratford. Research is ongoing as to which light railway it was.

Looks good HonestTom. I like the sound of your setting, have you based a layout on it? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, sb67 said:

Looks good HonestTom. I like the sound of your setting, have you based a layout on it? 

Not yet, I'm currently working (very slowly) on a micro-layout. You can see one of the structures in the background - a ruined hydraulic accumulator tower. I'd like to built something fancier in the long term, but at the moment it's a basic Inglenook/photographic plank. I kind of want to keep the setting a little bit vague, because different parts of the docks had different traffic and I'd like a bit of everything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HonestTom said:

Not yet, I'm currently working (very slowly) on a micro-layout. You can see one of the structures in the background - a ruined hydraulic accumulator tower. I'd like to built something fancier in the long term, but at the moment it's a basic Inglenook/photographic plank. I kind of want to keep the setting a little bit vague, because different parts of the docks had different traffic and I'd like a bit of everything.

Ok, I'll keep my eyes open for that. I like the J69 as well, it looks good with those coaches.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

You will be pleased to see that the Swanage Railway Heritage Carriage Group has recently obtained an LSWR carriage body that was part of a house for nearly 100 years.  It will be used as a workshop and store.  It looks like it has five compartments two of which seem to be in LSWR brown and salmon pink livery.  I am still waiting for the Hornby R40107 1st class coach and R40110 LSWR brake 3rd.  These are available from Hornby but not yet from the retailers.

• Like 1

Just a heads up to all of those that have missed the coaches in the UK. Australia has received a large shipment. So if you are looking for specific liveries it is worth checking out Australian retailers. I have picked up over the last 2 weeks a train of NBR carriages. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DougN said:

Just a heads up to all of those that have missed the coaches in the UK. Australia has received a large shipment. So if you are looking for specific liveries it is worth checking out Australian retailers. I have picked up over the last 2 weeks a train of NBR carriages. 

Although given typical Australian model railway pricing, and the cost of shipping back to the UK, someone is going to have to really want them. 

• Agree 4

7 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Why would they pass the price increase onto their retailers and not their own website? 

I think he means pre standing orders.

Sometimes manufacturers and retailers will absorb it and honour the original price.

Airfix did with a model I had on pre-order which was delayed. I was charged the original price even though it had gone up by about £5.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Why would they pass the price increase onto their retailers and not their own website? 

Because this is the same company that has put their retailers in "tiers" causing many of them to have to cancel customers' pre-orders?

• Agree 3

15 hours ago, PatB said:

Although given typical Australian model railway pricing, and the cost of shipping back to the UK, someone is going to have to really want them. 

I don't disagree with you Pat but the last 2 that I purchased were $54 AUD which works out at 29 quid which matches the UK pretty close (28quid on hattons) but as you say they only get 10% back on GST and then add the postage on. Like you said they have to "really want them". 

The traders that have them in stock are:

Branchline.com.au (no only ordering but they will post) 

Metrohobbies.com.au- online ordering

Frontlinehobbies.com.au

(I am only a customer of these and have no other connection) 

• Like 2