Hornby 2021 - 4 & 6 wheel period coaches

AY Mod

1 hour ago, DougN said:

I don't disagree with you Pat but the last 2 that I purchased were $54 AUD which works out at 29 quid which matches the UK pretty close (28quid on hattons) but as you say they only get 10% back on GST and then add the postage on. Like you said they have to "really want them". 

The traders that have them in stock are:

Branchline.com.au (no only ordering but they will post) 

Metrohobbies.com.au- online ordering

Frontlinehobbies.com.au

(I am only a customer of these and have no other connection) 

While chatting to Doug yesterday, I looked on Metro Hobbies website, and not only were the existing coaches $AUS54, but the ones with lights are able to be pre-ordered, and cost just $1 more than the ones without lights. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Assume $54.00 Aud and assuming the retailer discounts the 10% GST,  this gives you a purchase cost of $48.60, At the current exchange rate around GBP25.00.    Add to this airmail postage including the ever popular signature on delivery that most private eBay sellers require of Aussie customers of $35.00 (GBP18.20), assuming no retailer handling charge for an international sale.  Total of GBP43.20.   Multiple purchases would lower the per unit postage cost.

3 hours ago, DougN said:

I don't disagree with you Pat but the last 2 that I purchased were $54 AUD which works out at 29 quid which matches the UK pretty close (28quid on hattons) but as you say they only get 10% back on GST and then add the postage on. Like you said they have to "really want them". 

The traders that have them in stock are:

Branchline.com.au (no only ordering but they will post) 

Metrohobbies.com.au- online ordering

Frontlinehobbies.com.au

(I am only a customer of these and have no other connection) 

2 hours ago, SRman said:

While chatting to Doug yesterday, I looked on Metro Hobbies website, and not only were the existing coaches $AUS54, but the ones with lights are able to be pre-ordered, and cost just $1 more than the ones without lights. 

Interesting. I admit that it's been some time since I bothered to look at Oz retail pricing, as it had always seemed to follow the usual Australian situation, for any goods out of the mainstream, of poor range and swingeing markups. Perhaps the distributors and retailers have caught up with the Internet era and are adjusting to the realisation that their markets are no longer captive, and it's better to have a small cut of something than a larger cut of nothing. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jack Benson

Sorry to arrive late at the party,

Has Hornby released a BR departmental van as part of their period range?

Thank you and StaySafe 

9 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Thank you and StaySafe 

No, not a Departmental specific lettered vehicle. The Crimson/Maroon 4 wheel full brake would look the part with some additional lettering. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Thank you and StaySafe 

Tim,

FYI, the Hattons, soon to be released period range have BR departmental variants in both crimson and black liveries.

Hope this assists.

Mark

Guest Jack Benson

Hi there,

Hello,

IMHO, Hornby missed a trick however this update on the most boring thread on RMweb may explain where all this is going or may end up. The order for the SR green 6w full brake is placed and depending on my rose-tinted specs, may be used as NPCS but the pedants may get frothy.

spacer.png

StaySafe and thanks

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Hi there,

Hello,

IMHO, Hornby missed a trick however this update on the most boring thread on RMweb may explain where all this is going or may end up. The order for the SR green 6w full brake is placed and depending on my rose-tinted specs, may be used as NPCS but the pedants may get frothy.

spacer.png

StaySafe and thanks

Apply rule 1.

Guest Jack Benson

Guys.

My eyesight and memory is failing whilst the affliction of pedantry has passed me by, therefore I think that I can ignore the odd bit of flavour. 

StaySafe

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone received any news about the LSWR 4 wheel coaches R40107 and R40110?  These have been available from Hornby since 1 July.  I ordered mine from a large model shop that does mail orders on 22 January and at 3 August they still have not received them.  One shop has only got three left.

I have heard that Hornby is delaying supplying some large model shops by four weeks.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I enjoyed watching the video.  You will be pleased to see that the L&SWR coaches without lights are generally available.  Unfortunately that is not the case with the L&SWR coaches with lights.

I pre-ordered four of these with a large model shop that does mail orders on 22 January.  Two arrived a couple of months ago but they have all been in stock at Hornby since 1 July and are now available at some shops

I reminded the shop today and they said that I will get the remaining coaches although I may have to wait.  They had ordered 70 R40107 1st class and 85 R40110 with lights and are going to chase up Hornby. If Hornby had cancelled their order they would have informed all their customers. 

I have also ordered R40108A L&SWR 3rd 308 from my local Swanage Railway shop so it will be interesting to see which comes first.

In future it may be better to wait until the models arrive on Hornby's web site and then order from whichever shop has them available.  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I originally pre-ordered through Hattons but after seeing comments about Hornby cancelling their pre-orders I cancelled my order and pre-ordered with another large shop because I thought that would be my best chance of getting the models.  I don't think Hattons has ever had the L&SWR coaches with lights in stock and I don't think any of the L&SWR coaches are available from them now. I think I made the right decision in cancelling Hattons' order.

• Like 2

I have now heard from the large model shop which has told me that a small batch arrived which Hornby sold and distributed to a few model shops but the main production run is not expected until December.

I have decided to cancel my order and order the remaining L&SWR models without lights which are available now. I was not entirely happy with the lights as they shone through some of the paintwork and some went on and off without warning.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

I have now heard from the large model shop which has told me that a small batch arrived which Hornby sold and distributed to a few model shops but the main production run is not expected until December.

There is a second batch expected in December, but the first batch wasn't a "small" batch, and the second run won't be any bigger, sounds to me like you have been given some dodgy info there.

I think the reordering without lights is the best thing to do, Hornby's lighting on these seems very disappointing, I expect most modellers could do a better job at home themselves.

Source, I work in a model shop and deal with this first hand

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

You will be pleased to read that I have now received the remaining three L&SWR coaches without lights.  The model shop wanted to sell the L&SWR coaches with lights,  I wanted to buy them and all that was stopping the sale from going through until December was Hornby.  

Now I am able to display the rake of coaches in front of the original Swanage Station as it was in L&SWR days.

P1010703.JPG

• Like 14
  • Funny 1

LSWR terrier crossing Corfe Viaduct with a rake of Hornby LSWR 4 wheel coaches.  I have still not activated the lights on 3rd class coach 302 that arrived in February so I don't seem to be very interested in the lights. I think that the LSWR van on the road is a souvenir from the Watercress Line. 

P1010707.JPG

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

I think that the LSWR van on the road is a souvenir from the Watercress Line. 

It is indeed, there was an article on them in one of the recent MHR news magazines - they were sold to raise money for the purchase of the 08 used to rebuild the Alton section. 

Said 08 has just been fully overhauled and restored, and is now looking very shiny.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

44 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Dare I ask just what the driver of the LSWR van is doing down by the riverside? ;)

You'd have thought he would be using one of the viaduct piers. :whistle:  

It looks like the horse has become tired of waiting...

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 15/08/2021 at 15:51, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Dare I ask just what the driver of the LSWR van is doing down by the riverside? ;)

He gonna lay down his burden…

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3