Hornby 2021 - 4 & 6 wheel period coaches

AY Mod

There are very few records of four and six wheel coaches on the London and South Western Railway except a Board of Trade report following a derailment of 19 June 1886 on the Swanage Railway which is mentioned on page 241 of Swanage 125 Years of Railways by B.L. Jackson. This train consisted of passenger guards van 260, 1st class coaches 338 and 373, 2nd class coach 119, 3rd class coach 319 and 3rd class brake 243.

The formation is similar to the coaches made by Hornby and Adams Radial Tanks could have been the motive power then. I ran this train at the Wimborne Railway Society meeting last night.  The members liked the coaches except for the luggage van and did not think that the lights were necessary.

P1020010.JPG

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how these things come apart? I have some that I would like to take the glazing out whilst I weather them and possibly add some passengers to. I can't see any screws underneath, nor any obvious clips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ruston said:

Does anyone know how these things come apart? I have some that I would like to take the glazing out whilst I weather them and possibly add some passengers to. I can't see any screws underneath, nor any obvious clips.

The underframe should unclip from the body, which looks to be a one-piece moulding with the roof, using gentle pressure, minding the brake pipes at the ends.  The interior will fall out, whether the glazing is easily removed I leave to others to advise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Having received the first of my Hattons Genesis coaches, I thought it might be interesting to compare them with the Hornby equivalent.

Here, then, is Hornby's take on a 5-compartment 4-wheel Third in GW livery with Hattons' take on the same.

The Hornby model represents a gas-lit model and is, apparently, air-braked(!) and its chosen commode handles are of a GW pattern.  The livery applied by Hornby is a simplified version of the GW 1890s-1900s livery. 

The Hattons model represents an oil-lit, vac-braked vehicle and represents the full GW carriage livery of the period.

Neither, of course, represents a GW prototype, both ranges are generic.  The Hornby coach scales out to a standard Stroudley length of 26', whereas the Hattons is at a more relaxed 27'6".

It's an interesting comparison, because apart from the difference in prototype lighting method, they are direct equivalents as generic coaches in a GW livery. In all cases where the models are side by side the Hornby model is on the left and the Hattons on the right:

20220922_133612.jpg.86fb286e0e62def4951ece7866d50441.jpg

20220922_133644.jpg.cc7bff03d13447b0cd5f0a415a1f2f1e.jpg

20220922_133953.jpg.c54081f829e17703f8f914e029b646f5.jpg

20220922_134018.jpg.30c9e4b8f26014592e1feacf24bd1f40.jpg

20220922_133900.jpg.01091a1280f1a3ef256a0642c1ad6ee4.jpg

20220922_134121.jpg.36b6b6e6d8b6af7a88912f7faef92d34.jpg

20220922_134758.jpg.53ffa84043ab8af37d17ec792268e2d6.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
spelling
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Ribird said:

And people tried to tell me I was crazy for saying the Hornby GWR coaches weren't brown because of different lighting conditions...

Indeed. It was very obvious that they were green a long time ago, but some still insisted.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

They're not though, so can we put this to bed?  

If you are going by the photos above then the Hattons model is not GWR livery either and more light brown and much more incorrect than the Hornby version. But neither are like that in real life.

Maybe looking at the actual models rather than digital photographs shown on a digital device would be a good idea. I've looked at both IRL and decided they aren't for me. YMMV.

And for the record I've got two full sets of the Collett suburban sets and a dozen corridor stock coaches that also look green in online photos. I can assure you they are a good match to Phoenix Paints GWR Chocolate and Cream which is correct and don't look green at all. 

We had this in the Collett coach thread and it was debunked then as well.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

My full set of Hattons Choc and Cream arrived two weeks ago, only just opened them today and TBH they look really very good indeed, just what I would have imagined the real thing (whatever that is) might be, I wasn’t there to ever see them for real, I don’t care to scratch over books and photos to check the ‘enth degree of detail but when chugging around behind my little Pannier they look excellent, and I am sure the Hornby versions would look just as good in that situation.

Now what were we arguing about again? 🤣

• Like 4

I'm quite happy with my Hornby LNER teak 1st class 6 wheeler which has lights fitted. I've also got a 4 wheel Baggage brake in BR crimson. 

Hoping to collect a rake of the LNER coaches. I'm finding it hard to find a brake one though in shops. 

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Various questions and theories about the Hornby generic coaches are being discussed in the Hattons thread.

One is the current heavy discounting of certain models at the moment. Could some of the 50% discounts be stock the retailer bought in at the original RPI and is now discounting against the new, hight cost?

The other question, which I won't address as I have no information is whether Hornby will  replace the very long standing Railroad coaches with the more recent generic coaches, particularly in train sets.

• Like 1

I bought a couple of the Hornby GNR 3rd 4 wheelers (with lighting) for £21 and a bit each from MRD, which is pretty stiff discounting, even at the original price. At that level they are cheaper than the old Hornby 4 wheelers...

• Informative/Useful 2

Discounting and sale prices are the art of economics.  An individual product will part of a order for a number of products and a retailer will be looking at covering the cost of the overall order. Once that has been acheived any further sales are profit at whatever price they are sold at. If the order cost has not quite been covered then they would hope that dropping the prices will bring into enough income to cover the order cost and gain a profit

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

...and this is the reprehensible bit - forcing retailers (Hobson's Choice) into taking large stocks, for Tier status, and then later undercutting RRP to achieve their own (Hornby's) "profitable bit" once the bulk of product had been moved on.

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MyRule1 said:

One is the current heavy discounting of certain models at the moment. Could some of the 50% discounts be stock the retailer bought in at the original RPI and is now discounting against the new, hight cost?

I haven't been able to get any in my tier 2 shop (other shops may vary) for quite some time due to stock restrictions, so I expect that they are discounts to move on things that will not shift. Not that I had any issues moving on what I did manage to get.

6 hours ago, MyRule1 said:

The other question, which I won't address as I have no information is whether Hornby will  replace the very long standing Railroad coaches with the more recent generic coaches, particularly in train sets.

Almost certainly not, they have shown no signs of replacing the old 4 wheelers so far, and I don't expect them too in the near future. Even if doing so seems like it would make sense. I expect the earliest they would look at replacing the older 4 wheelers would be when the tooling wears out, and even then I wouldn't put money on it.

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

I haven't been able to get any in my tier 2 shop (other shops may vary) for quite some time due to stock restrictions, so I expect that they are discounts to move on things that will not shift. Not that I had any issues moving on what I did manage to get.

Almost certainly not, they have shown no signs of replacing the old 4 wheelers so far, and I don't expect them too in the near future. Even if doing so seems like it would make sense. I expect the earliest they would look at replacing the older 4 wheelers would be when the tooling wears out, and even then I would put money on it.

Gary

Given the difference in complexity between the two coaches, I expect Hornby's profit margin on the cheap 4-wheelers is higher than on the new Generic coaches.  Those old ones from the 1970s are going nowhere. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I think the "old 4 wheelers" are for a much younger market which must not have all those delicate bits that get knocked off and possibly ingested.

I can see the the "old 4 wheelers" staying because the Rail Road range is not really for modellers - even if it happens to have the exact model you may want/need.

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, SHMD said:

I think the "old 4 wheelers" are for a much younger market which must not have all those delicate bits that get knocked off and possibly ingested.

Here's a "how to" video on the old 4-wheelers - from 9:15:

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I've recently picked up a selection of GNR teak and LNWR coaches; from either Kernow or the very helpful Leigh at Collett's Models.

I paid between £21 and £27 for them, some with lights and some without, but at that price it's hard to say no.

The teak effect is very lovely and the LNWR looks good too.

They are however very tight, they don't roll at all. Any tips on limbering them up? 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1