Hornby 2021 - 4 & 6 wheel period coaches

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

If it's a stray magnetic field, I'd expect that the lights might turn on if they were originally turned off (I.e. using the magnet supplied) — have you tried this? I wouldn’t have thought bad contacts could make them turn on in such circumstances.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 25/01/2021 at 11:50, The Johnster said:

I was equally dumbfounded, Tony, but apparently these are correct for some Victorian stock on some railways.  They were  intended to improve the crash resistance of stock in minor accidents by preventing buffers overriding and the coaches telescoping.  The idea was to have them on alternate corner so that the ‘normal’ buffers’ domed head on the adjacent vehicle ‘fitted’ in to the concave, and became less likely to override the more pressure they were subjected to.  

Further proof, as if slip coaches and TPO pick up were not enough, that Victorian railways were bonkers.  At least they are easily replaced!

Returning to this, I have never heard of concave buffers being fitted.  The only anti-override/anti-buffer-locking provision I've ever seen described on short wb carriages involved alternating convex and flat-headed buffers.  From the earlier posting where Hornby tried to explain the convex buffers, I'm pretty sure that Hornby's designers have misinterpreted the way light is falling on the flat buffer heads in the photo. 

If they were in a hurry to get these to market, it's a detail that they might well have omitted to check in the the rush - but that can't be right, because Hornby weren't in any way trying to rush these to market in order to stymie...someone else, were they?  ;-)

However, if someone has a photo of the carriages that Hornby apparently measured up having concave buffers then I'll stand corrected.  Or any other unambiguous documentary or photographic evidence - I'd really like to know.

Richard T

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

49 minutes ago, RichardT said:

if someone has a photo of the carriages that Hornby apparently measured up having concave buffers then I'll stand corrected.  Or any other unambiguous documentary or photographic evidence - I'd really like to know.

I'm sure no-one does, but as I explained earlier in the thread, I do have drawings of the buffers they have tried to match (as per the photo they provided via Jenny Kirk), and the drawings, much like the photo, show them with flat heads

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

I'm sure no-one does, but as I explained earlier in the thread, I do have drawings of the buffers they have tried to match (as per the photo they provided via Jenny Kirk, and the drawings, much like the photo, show them with flat heads

But even this is a feature specific to the Stroudley carriages, as far as I'm aware, and not at all common (though not unknown) elsewhere. I would also question whether carriages equipped with such flat buffers when built retained them throughout their lives.

• Like 7

The buffers were replaced by a different but very similar type in the 1880s/1890s which still had a flat head, so I expect they stayed that way until scrapping, but yes not a very common feature, which I still say is because Hornby haven't made generic carriages at all.

Gary

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

I still say is because Hornby haven't made generic carriages at all.

No indeed; failed Stroudleys.

I can understand the desire to do Stroudley carriages since the IEG Terrier is currently pretty much the only RTR engine around in genuinely Victorian condition (give or take, noting that there are two manufacturers in the case) and has nothing to run with.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2
  • Agree 6

30 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

which I still say is because Hornby haven't made generic carriages at all.

22 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

No indeed; failed Stroudleys.

And that still won't stop the modelling press waxing lyrical about the virtues of these vehicles and become very defensive over the 'generic' description being bandied around, rather than lament the lost opportunity under which they presumably first began development. That is a proper set of Stroudleys...before they were misappropriated into what has since arrived. They could have produced a fantastic set of accurate coaches, and dolled them up in other liveries to fulfil those who wanted them as such. But like this they can't even dress up an LBSC coach in LBSC or SR livery and have it be correct. Its not a missed opportunity, its a discarded one, for probably very little gain over what could (and should) have been.

• Like 5
  • Agree 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Generically modified presumably meaning swapped handrails and some general laziness with some details?

I say that as someone who will soon own four of these, but that's mostly because I'm modelling LBSCR stuff (for the layout they're destined for) and they're probably the best choice available to me currently.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

I say that as someone who will soon own four of these

You're not alone there Sem, Hattons have just billed me for the first 2 of my LBSC liveried ones, I rather look forward to re-Stroudleyfying them

Gary

• Like 3

Well, I changed my NBR order to Peter's Spares, all paid for today, so I believe that's the better half of two sets coming to me at some point from the Northeast;

Two firsts, three thirds and a third brake.

They'll be repainted in umber. I'm still confident they'll look passably Billinton eventually - at least to my eye. I did manage to work out how to source the remainder of my elected sets, all kits for these two six-wheel examples;

image.png.43cc0b8bb8262c06f6a80376d0049b77.png

The conversion kit, by the way, 

image.png.fbcbdfb337c06fb1a24c17146093b2ce.png

I'll have to see how far off the panelling on the brake is when it arrives, but I expect it doesn't look so bad. Obviously it's also stretched to fit the 32' chassis, but I can live with that until such a time as I feel confident enough trying the Branchlines kit, or possibly shortening the Hornby model (depending on how much work it takes!)

One thing I'm curious to see is how easy it is to add scale couplings - I've noticed on some of Hornby's stock it's really very difficult. And the buffers aren't sprung, are they? That'll be an interesting item to replace. 

- Alex 

• Like 6

Buffers certainly are not sprung.

Not sure if the Hattons ones are, but it wouldn't surprise; Definitely looking like the superior product, but I happened to require LBSCR stock.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

If it's a stray magnetic field, I'd expect that the lights might turn on if they were originally turned off (I.e. using the magnet supplied) — have you tried this? I wouldn’t have thought bad contacts could make them turn on in such circumstances.

@D9020 Nimbus  I've done as you suggested, and yes, the lights do come on by themselves when in motion (without using the magnet).   

Yesterday I ordered a 2nd coach,  which has just arrived,  and that is just the same.  So, something on my layout/house is causing this to happen by the looks of it...  (?)

This could just be a coincidence,  but again,  it only seems to be happening when coupled to my Bachmann Dukedog.    My only other locos are a Bachmann 08, and an old Hornby 0-4-0,  and the lights didn't come on when running behind those.

Gosh, I've only been back in the hobby for a month (after a 10 year hiatus),  and I'm already tearing my hair out !   :help:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

I'm surprised noone has noticed that the GWR ones are a fairly good match for the coaches the company inherited from the Taff Vale Railway, several of which have been restored and preserved. Granted, they're not identical, but the brake end arrangement is very similar. Not sure if there is anything suitable RTR to pull them though.

News_Aug05_Pic2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, DrStroganoff said:

@D9020 Nimbus  I've done as you suggested, and yes, the lights do come on by themselves when in motion (without using the magnet).   

Yesterday I ordered a 2nd coach,  which has just arrived,  and that is just the same.  So, something on my layout/house is causing this to happen by the looks of it...  (?)

This could just be a coincidence,  but again,  it only seems to be happening when coupled to my Bachmann Dukedog.    My only other locos are a Bachmann 08, and an old Hornby 0-4-0,  and the lights didn't come on when running behind those.

Gosh, I've only been back in the hobby for a month (after a 10 year hiatus),  and I'm already tearing my hair out !   :help:

Have you got an old compass handy?   Take that around the circuit by hand and see what happens to the needle.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, DrStroganoff said:

This is getting interesting. Could you try two experiments?

1. Place the coaches next to the track and run the Dukedog past them, several times.

2. Place them on the track, but not coupled to anything. Run the Dukedog along the track up to them, without coupling to them.

I'm interested to see if this has any effect on them.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• AY Mod unpinned this topic