Hornby 2021 - 4 & 6 wheel period coaches

AY Mod

6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Experiments with my cheapo rubbish Chinese Amazon CR2032 powered coach lights show that they will, left on, run for about a week at full power and another week with the lights getting progressively dimmer; well sufficient for normal layout use, and not the end of the world if you leave them on overnight.

Dam! I did not think these coaches could be useful in a power cut.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

5 hours ago, AVS1998 said:

The first of six carriages, repainted in umber, as compared to the factory NBR livery. And a Bachmann Birdcage in Phoenix SECR Lake for good measure! 

IMG_20210204_222713.jpg

Aah yes. The colour that Hattons should paint their SE & CR 4/6 wheelers !

Ray

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

Aah yes. The colour that Hattons should paint their SE & CR 4/6 wheelers !

Ray

Why?

It is a matter of historical FACT that the SECR used TWO different base colours at different times (but keeping the same lining style). One was the more reddish hue seen on the preserved KESR line and Hattons forthcoming models while the other is the more purple looking one as seen on the Bluebells 4 wheelers and Bachmann's 'Birdcage' stock.

BOTH are prototypically correct and BOTH can be used with locos ornately lined out in the Wainwright style.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

A short running session featuring the all new Hornby 'Generic' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in smart BR Crimson. 
Announced as part of the Hornby 2021 Range, this suite of pre-grouping inspired coaches come in a wide selection of Pre-Grouping, Big Four and BR liveries, available with or without Hornby's new battery powered 'MagLight' lighting system.  
In this video we see the rake in action, hauled behind Ex Midland Railway 1532 Class 0-4-4T, No. 58072 on my photo-plank micro layout, edited with real sound.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 4

On 04/02/2021 at 10:36, The Johnster said:

For a DC layout, I would never consider anything other than on-board battery supply for coach lights.

Oh right. I forgot. I've been "doing DCC" for so long that I forgot. Unless you are using a high-tech LED lighting strip from the likes of ESU or Viessmann, with adjustable constant brightness levels, lighting fed directly from the track is not very satisfying. For me, one of the  reasons for going DCC was constant carriage lighting. And smoke units that smoke...but that is more for my classic Marklin collection...nothing newer than 1971.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, sparaxis said:

Oh right. I forgot. I've been "doing DCC" for so long that I forgot. Unless you are using a high-tech LED lighting strip from the likes of ESU or Viessmann, with adjustable constant brightness levels, lighting fed directly from the track is not very satisfying. 

Since the LED only needs 2 V - 3 V, one could use a voltage regulator IC, which would give constant brightness while the train is in motion (at a reasonable speed). Doesn't help with the lights going off when the train comes to a stand...

• Like 1

Whilst any attention to pre-Grouping coaches is very welcome, what a pity Hornby have basically copied Hattons generic approach. If the coaches had have been based on at least ONE correct set of prototypes - then one livery at least would have been accurate. Like Hattons - they are rather a pig-in-a-poke. Pity - Hornby could have upped the game. Had they been a reasonably accurate representation - I would certainly have bought a quite a few.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

Whilst any attention to pre-Grouping coaches is very welcome, what a pity Hornby have basically copied Hattons generic approach. If the coaches had have been based on at least ONE correct set of prototypes - then one livery at least would have been accurate. Like Hattons - they are rather a pig-in-a-poke. Pity - Hornby could have upped the game. Had they been a reasonably accurate representation - I would certainly have bought a quite a few.

But the point that's been made is that Hornby have followed a specific prototype, more or less - to the point that with a bit of what used to be called "super-detailing" they can be reasonably accurate. They're at least as good as the Triang clerestories in that respect.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

And RMweb would have been full of people nitpicking details. By saying they are generic, all that is avoided. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 7

9 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

And RMweb would have been full of people nitpicking details. By saying they are generic, all that is avoided. 

They haven't exactly avoided that. By basing them very, very, closely on Stroudleys they have had not only been analysed to see what little needs to be done to make them accurate Stroudleys but also to prove how NOT generic they are!

They are almost as far from generic as they can possibly. Beyond the handrails, lamp irons, and buffers, and ignoring the passenger luggage van, are there really any details on these that are not Stroudley or at least following LBSCR design practice?

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

26 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

16 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

He lives in hope.

13 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

They haven't exactly avoided that. By basing them very, very, closely on Stroudleys they have had not only been analysed to see what little needs to be done to make them accurate Stroudleys but also to prove how NOT generic they are!

They are almost as far from generic as they can possibly. Beyond the handrails, lamp irons, and buffers, and ignoring the passenger luggage van, are there really any details on these that are not Stroudley or at least following LBSCR design practice?

And thus we've had 50 pages (so far) of RMWebbers nitpicking details, saying that they're too Stroudlyesque and that they're not Generic enough....

Who cares?

Select your desired livery and mix'n'match with Hattons for prototypical variety!

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

Without going through 50 pages of this topic to check if it has been covered. AFAIK the only GE section line which still used 6 wheel coaches in BR days was the Mid Suffolk Light.  The best picture I have found, Ian Allan GE album, strongly suggests that the coaches were painted in Stratford carriage brown. As they were replaced by bogie stock in 1951/2 I very much doubt if they were ever repainted into BR crimson. Can anybody confirm the colour or suggest anywhere else on the Eastern Region that red 6 wheelers were used.  Many thanks, Roger.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Who cares?

Those who

(a) would like Stroudley carriages to run with their IEG Terriers, and

(b) would like some pre-Grouping-esque carriages that do not betray their origins too closely when in the liveries of other companies than the Brighton.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

Inclined to agree with Gilwell Park that  brown would have been more likely than cash-strapped early BR painting three old rattletraps crimson but we live in a land of make believe...

I might respray mine eventually, but for the minute am more interesting in closing up the coupling gap and removing the plethora of nosmo king stickers - and playing trains.

Have to say I did not realise Hornby had actually brought them in already and nearly got caught out - thanks Bure Valley and Colletts Models. One gets so used to endless announcements with deliveries far in the future or endless postponements .

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Brighton carriage transfers, either Stroudley or Billinton/Marsh style available in 4mm or 7mm scale. Two layer, white base then colour on top. £10 for 7mm, £8 for 4mm, both include postage. Cheers, Ian

LBSCR Billinton 7 and 4mm.jpg

LBSCR Stroudley 7 and 4mm.jpg

Edited by ianmaccormac
reload image
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, ianmaccormac said:

Two layer, white base then colour

@ianmaccormac

Ian

Is the white layer to help the opacity of the second layer? I have a previous version from you where they don't show up to well on umber. Presuming the answer is yes, can order via RMWeb message as before?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Please send me an email and I will send you the white. It was found necessary to put a white base in first to make the colour show. Any previous purchaser, if you hven't already had them sent, which I did where I still had details, please send me an email with postal address and type of transfer and I will send you a set.

Cheers Ian

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1