Hornby 2021 - Hornby Dublo 2 rail

AY Mod

5 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

So "jacking up" isn't really an appropriate term in that context - there simply aren't many units to spread the costs over.

But that was my point - they make back the cost on the tooling by increasing the price of a single unit.

To me “jacking up” implied “inflating”., so perhaps I misunderstood your drift.

The Chinese certainly have ways of creating the tooling for diecasting that is way cheaper in real terms than ‘in the old days’, because old-style methods would have made the unit prices astronomical for small production runs - whether it’s simply (!) the use of ‘robot’ die-cutting, or whether they are able to die-cast into hard ‘rubber’ tools, or what, I don’t know.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ever since I saw 6231 in the candy stripe box, ive though Hornby is onto a winner here.

I think these are going to dissapear quite fast as its quite unique.. its rtr metal body locos, with improved performance due to weight. They are fully detailed.

ignoring the box, its a premium model just at that.

last years 6231 just evapourated, and that was solely to collectors. There is a subset of the community who will be more than happy to put a metal Duchess, with a metal MN and a Dapol metal A4, together with a metal F1A 10001 and what ever you can find from Golden Age’s metal OO gauge stock... which costs double if not more than Hornbys rtr Dublo range.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Ever since I saw 6231 in the candy stripe box, ive though Hornby is onto a winner here.

I think these are going to dissapear quite fast as its quite unique.. its rtr metal body locos, with improved performance due to weight. They are fully detailed.

ignoring the box, its a premium model just at that.

last years 6231 just evapourated, and that was solely to collectors. There is a subset of the community who will be more than happy to put a metal Duchess, with a metal MN and a Dapol metal A4, together with a metal F1A 10001 and what ever you can find from Golden Age’s metal OO gauge stock... which costs double if not more than Hornbys rtr Dublo range.

Yes the die-cast construction does have a nice feel and look.  I bought an Atholl 6231 at a high price just after they were released and were becoming rare, then three months saw by accident a single one at normal retail and bought that out of sheer greed.  My brother has one too, so soon we shall rule the world!

My liking for die-cast is such that I have just bought a couple of B12s during this week, blame 34letterbetweenb&d  for that! 

But back to the H-D packaging and presentation, yes, it is a nice way to present a model with a distinct relationship with earlier ones.

Perhaps the H-D packaging would suit a new 8F , someday. Die-cast of course, and a new die-cast A4?   Presumably the sums don't add up, this year. I'm not sure where the A1/A3 fits in here. And the 2-6-4T hmmmm  hard to beat the Bachmann one, which tends to fall to pieces with handling...

• Like 6

6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

According to 'World of Railways' these have an RRP of £264.99 each so that might make the economics a good bit better on a run of 500.  if we assume a trade discount of 20% for retailers that means that Hornby is getting c.£212 through its door for every one it sells via the retail trade and of course a percentage of them will in any event be sold direct.  Even after you deduct the VAT you are looking at something around £170 in gross revenue per loco so c.£85,000 in gross earnings.  For the MNs the tooling cost is spread of 1,000 models if there are 500 of each and the Duchess uses tooling previously developed.

So overall they should bring in something over a quarter of a million £s from sales.  That will look good in the accounts assuming the market will take all of them at that sort of price.  But what we don't know is how much they will have cost to tool.  However as highly detail die casting of small components for the automotive industry is now apparently commonplace in China (Kader, among others, have a factory in that market area) perhaps any additional tooling cost for diecast might not be much of an imposotion?   And in the case of these models there is effectively no wider R&D cost because that bit had been done previously for earlier models.

Presumably Hornby think they will be able to sell these and of course they succeeded last year with the 'Duchess' but that was very definitely a nostalgia trip.    I grew up with Hornby Dublo and my first loco was a 'Duchess of Atholl' but I wasn't even tempted to buy one of those last year, and I'm no more tempted to buy one of these this year - but Hornby obviously think other folk will be.   With these new models, particularly the two MNs we are not looking at Hornby Dublo nostalgia in the same way as last year so do they have enough, at the asking price, to develop what appears to be a premium brand label?   Only time, and Hornby's Annual Report, will answer that.  

I think the rarity value makes sales at full retail certain.

Especially the Merchant Navy.

Now, from whom shall I pre-order without being disappointed?

• Agree 2

Die-cast boiler sections are becoming increasing common on ready-to-run locomotives. The Model Rail/Rapido '16XX' is substantially die-cast as is Rapido's 'HO' scale Royal Hudson 4-6-4. It looks set to become common practice among manufacturers for the UK market. (CJL)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

Die-cast boiler sections are becoming increasing common on ready-to-run locomotives. The Model Rail/Rapido '16XX' is substantially die-cast as is Rapido's 'HO' scale Royal Hudson 4-6-4. It looks set to become common practice among manufacturers for the UK market. (CJL)

i think its a nice direction to be heading.

Wouldn't it be ironic if some day, a decade from now... Dublo is the main Hornby brand, and the plastic range is considered “Railroad”.

:senile:

dreams.

But for now keep it special.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, robmcg said:

Yes the die-cast construction does have a nice feel and look.  I bought an Atholl 6231 at a high price just after they were released and were becoming rare, then three months saw by accident a single one at normal retail and bought that out of sheer greed.  My brother has one too, so soon we shall rule the world!

My liking for die-cast is such that I have just bought a couple of B12s during this week, blame 34letterbetweenb&d  for that! 

But back to the H-D packaging and presentation, yes, it is a nice way to present a model with a distinct relationship with earlier ones.

Perhaps the H-D packaging would suit a new 8F , someday. Die-cast of course, and a new die-cast A4?   Presumably the sums don't add up, this year. I'm not sure where the A1/A3 fits in here. And the 2-6-4T hmmmm  hard to beat the Bachmann one, which tends to fall to pieces with handling...

I bought a B12 a couple of weeks ago. One of Hornby's best ever. Metal boiler, good cab detail, perfect paint and lining, powered along silently by a large motor with twin flywheels.

Cost reasonable.

I've put a 10% deposit down on the new die-cast Merchant Navy. I have my doubts though that I'll ever get it. A lot of limited runs seem to end up on eBay at a premium...

Screenshot_2021-01-04 Top Quality Hornby LNER Class B12 Unboxing Review - YouTube.png

(screen capture Sam's trains)

Edited by maico
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, maico said:

I bought a B12 a couple of weeks ago. One of Hornby's best ever. Metal boiler, good cab detail, perfect paint and lining, powered along silently by a large motor with twin flywheels.

Cost reasonable.

I've put a 10% deposit down on the new die-cast Merchant Navy. I have my doubts though that I'll ever get it. A lot of limited runs seem to end up on eBay at a premium...

Screenshot_2021-01-04 Top Quality Hornby LNER Class B12 Unboxing Review - YouTube.png

(screen capture Sam's trains)

One would assume that pre-orders will be honoured if Hornby limits them sensibly. Not sure which sellers would or will require a deposit.

I agree about the B12, I have one already, and since they traveled far and wide during WW2 rule 1 can be exercised.

However they don't quite fit the specifically Hornby Dublo memory thing, which works for me, being born and raised with H-D three rail then 2-rail,   then a Triang B12 which as we all know was an inferior plastic thing :), useful to kitbash Kitmaster models or in my case even a dead 3-rail Atholl with Kitmaster Walschearts valve gear...  which I doubt would pass muster these days.  Nowadays I have a mint Atholl set which is lovely to own. 

I think 35011 will be sold out on pre-order by February.  Hattons have a slightly damaged 6231 for £440. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well I just ordered one, I don’t care it’s metal... ok that’s not true and will be nice to compare it to the others, but I’d ordered the City of Leicester anyway to go with my other 4 Coronations now just want King George V and maybe City of London. In BR green and Crimson respectively. Not that I’ve got a problem it’s just 4 isn’t enough. 

Edited by farren
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, robmcg said:

One would assume that pre-orders will be honoured if Hornby limits them sensibly. Not sure which sellers would or will require a deposit.

I agree about the B12, I have one already, and since they traveled far and wide during WW2 rule 1 can be exercised.

However they don't quite fit the specifically Hornby Dublo memory thing, which works for me, being born and raised with H-D three rail then 2-rail,   then a Triang B12 which as we all know was an inferior plastic thing :), useful to kitbash Kitmaster models or in my case even a dead 3-rail Atholl with Kitmaster Walschearts valve gear...  which I doubt would pass muster these days.  Nowadays I have a mint Atholl set which is lovely to own. 

I think 35011 will be sold out on pre-order by February.  Hattons have a slightly damaged 6231 for £440. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if it sold out this week! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, farren said:

Well I just ordered one, I don’t care it’s metal... ok that’s not true and will be nice to compare it to the others, but I’d ordered the City of Leicester anyway to go with my other 4 Coronations now just want King George V and maybe City of London. In BR green and Crimson respectively. Not that I’ve got a problem it’s just 4 isn’t enough. 

I can understand that. I too have pre-ordered a new H-D,  a 35011, due in July    (yeah. right. ) ... the Duchess being 15 months away, well, who knows...?   What with the Thompson Pacifics, we are being spoilt.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

And the Air-smoothed MN of the time was made by Graham Farish.....

It's really just an extra marketing niche, isn't it?

John 

Yes it's probably a marketing niche, but it is two more air-smoothed MNs...

Edited by 3rd Rail Exile

It might just be a marketing niche but a damn good one for premium models.  The one thing that did surprise me though is branching out in to non ex-Dublo locomotives this soon.  I too thought they might follow up with a Castle, N2, A4 etc.  Also, will Hornby be tempted by HD rolling stock e.g. SD tinplate coaches?

As for Basset Lowke, I think it was a shocking waste of that brand to use it on Steam Punk.  I would have kept BL for when/if Hornby wanted to enter the O Gauge market.

Ah well, not for me to question Hornby though.  I am sure they have a dastardly plan! :)

Kind regards

Paddy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Administrators
On 05/01/2021 at 16:41, RichardT said:

Noticeable that “Bassett Lowke” “steampunk” doesn’t seem to appear anywhere in the 2021 plans (unless the news is buried somewhere?). Looks like that initiative may not have taken off.

RT

It's a separate announcement apparently. Since the product is only just being delivered, I suspect they might want to sit tight and see how things go before rushing in to anything. With all the other brands announcing this week, Hornby are probably busy enough anyway!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

As regards the MN...

Though not a Hornby Dublo model, Wrenn did make some Bulleid air smoothed locos.

These were, I think, the slightly smaller light Pacific’s?

This didn’t stop them being released as MN, as well as BoB and WC, locos...

:)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, nerron said:

A little disappointed it is not Duchess of Montrose, my first HD model in 1956, but have ordered one nonetheless.

I have to say I’m surprised Hornby picked City of Leicester myself. Though wouldn’t have ordered one if it was anything other Leicester, London or George V. So surprised but pleased.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

As regards the MN...

Though not a Hornby Dublo model, Wrenn did make some Bulleid air smoothed locos.

Air-smoothed Light Pacific dressed up as an Air-smoothed MN and paired with a tender that neither ever ran with.

Said all I ever needed to know about Wrenn, and those who collected the stuff....

The exploiters and the exploitees. :jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

14 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

As regards the MN...

Farish did do a metal bodied MN in OO gauge a long long time ago.

Yes rather odd choice for Dublo I suppose

• Agree 2