Hornby 2021 - Hornby Dublo 2 rail

AY Mod

On 05/01/2021 at 18:11, 3rd Rail Exile said:

If you watch the YouTube video in Andy's original post, they seem to miraculously appear at about 2:00 in.

Does anyone know whether or not the two new HD Merchant Navies feature the same newly tooled tenders as fitted to Ellerman Lines and Belgian Marine ?

Edited by Black 5 Bear

On 08/01/2021 at 11:16, farren said:

I have to say I’m surprised Hornby picked City of Leicester myself. Though wouldn’t have ordered one if it was anything other Leicester, London or George V. So surprised but pleased.

City of Leicester was one of HDs planned alternate identities for the Coronation Pacific.

Kind regards

Paddy

On 08/01/2021 at 19:58, luke_stevens said:

What I would be interested to see is for Hornby to do a diesel with a cast metal body, say a Class 42 Warship?

Just one set of body tooling, no recent model made by others.

Who knows, maybe even with 2 smoke generators?!?

Luke

Could be a possibility as HD had early plans to release a Class 42 Warship and Class 52 Western at some point.

Kind regards 

Paddy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Does anyone know whether or not the two new HD Merchant Navies feature the same newly tooled tenders as fitted to Ellerman Lines and Belgian Marine ?

I've no information on what tenders Hornby will supply, but wouldn't it be inappropriate to use the same tenders for 35011, 35016 and 35017 as for 35029?  I've based that comment on the info at the top of the page in this link (the title in the link is a tad misleading...). 

https://www.southern-locomotives.co.uk/Class_Details/Bulleid_Light_Pacific_Tenders.html 

I'm aware that this topic is a bit of a minefield, and await the input of those with more detailed knowledge.  No doubt Hornby will get a "verbal kicking" in these pages if they get it wrong, so I presume they have taken appropriate advice.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Paddy said:

City of Leicester was one of HDs planned alternate identities for the Coronation Pacific.

Kind regards

Paddy

That is interesting. Although disappointed it is not DofM they have at least chosen a non-streamlined version, and as you say there is a HD connection.

Quite fancy Elders Fyffes to go with my rebuilt United States lines bought some years ago now, but should I order from my local shop at £264.99, hattons at £238.50 + post  or as I have been using,  TMC at £238.99 with free postage?

Other option is to save a few more pennies for the Ace trains O gauge version! (As I am supposedly building an outdoor O gauge line)

• Like 1

Personally I think the N2 would be an excellent choice for retooling with a premium HD version. The existing model is in need of a retool anyway and there is no other model rtr on the market. 

69567 and 69550 (3rail and 2rail identities) would give two respectable HD versions plus all the LNER and other big four variants HD released.  

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, farren said:

I wonder if the A4 will be done at some point. Especially as I’ve seen some people wanting a retooling of it anyway other sites. 

I guess the pricing would be attractive compared to Dapol's £400 metal A4 should they make a return.

• Agree 1

Dapol hasn't progressed it's "black label" brand  so far but "Hornby Dublo" is a known name. Hornby can use that as a premium brand name and tap into a nostalgic appeal as well for upgraded locos. 

The Dapol A4 had all sorts of features like smoke and sound which pushed the price right up but having seen one it didn't look any more like an A4 than the current Hornby one so might as well buy another of those if you didn't want all the gimmicks. Just my opinion of course.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/01/2021 at 10:04, kernowtim said:

Quite fancy Elders Fyffes to go with my rebuilt United States lines bought some years ago now, but should I order from my local shop at £264.99, hattons at £238.50 + post  or as I have been using,  TMC at £238.99 with free postage?

Other option is to save a few more pennies for the Ace trains O gauge version! (As I am supposedly building an outdoor O gauge line)

At least part of that decision needs to be based upon how easy you will find it to return to the vender in the event of their being a problem with it. Assuming 'non-essential' businesses are open again in the foreseeble you also have the opportunity to make sure its a good one if you buy local. Thats got to be worth £26! :)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, railroadbill said:

The Dapol A4 had all sorts of features like smoke and sound which pushed the price right up but having seen one it didn't look any more like an A4 than the current Hornby one so might as well buy another of those if you didn't want all the gimmicks. Just my opinion of course.

I bought one of the 'refurbished' ones from DCC Supplies. Refurbishment being chucking the troublesome smoke unit in the bin. Along with the lights for some reason.

It's a nice loco in this DCC sound only form. I don't know how much lower the price would be if they sold like this but it would save them a few bob in warranty claims.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, railroadbill said:

Dapol hasn't progressed it's "black label" brand  so far but "Hornby Dublo" is a known name. Hornby can use that as a premium brand name and tap into a nostalgic appeal as well for upgraded locos. 

Ignoring that the Dapol A4 is metal too of course.

imho I love the Dapol A4 for that reason it is metal, it just shimmers in a way plastic doesnt.. Paint sits on metal, it sinks into plastic.

They could remove the lights, smoke, sound they might have a similar price to Hornbys. 

• Like 1

Interesting about the performance of paint on metal vs plastic. I did notice that the finish on Duchess of Atholl was very good, I thought it had a realistic sheen on it. The standard ones looked very matt. The Hornby picture of City of Leicester (although it's not the actual loco)  looks like it's going to be satin as well. As an aside I like having a variety of finishes on locos on the layout, a couple of gloss ex works ones, satin to matt with ones that could have been cleaned on shed and matt ones for the grimy locos that I remember seeing. (A glossy one would have really stood out).

As a further aside on my pre covid train trips (and dare I say it photographic expeditions) locos and passenger stock all look very glossy these days. Perhaps it's better paint.

With the Dapol A4, it didn't (well to me) look a better shape than the Hornby one. A4s are tricky to capture the casing shape. (I've got an oil painting of 60021 in full flight which was done for me years ago by  a guy who produced many train paintings. He said it was the hardest loco to get right that he had ever done).  So since I reckon Hornby nailed it with the current model, I thought I'd stick with that. However, the ultimate 4mm A4 would certainly appeal. But what would make it "ultimate"?  Hornby have done a live steam one, or should it have lots of  features (steam generator, dcc, waving fireman or whatever?)  Or is the current Hornby one already the "ultimate" if the body shape is correct?  Perhaps a metal bodied one in the new Hornby Dublo range would hit the spot, then.

ps  I already have a Hornby Dublo metal bodied A4.  In fact it has a metal tender as well. When I got it as a present actual A4s still had another 6 years or so to run in BR service...

• Like 6

On 14/01/2021 at 12:19, railroadbill said:

Interesting about the performance of paint on metal vs plastic. I did notice that the finish on Duchess of Atholl was very good, I thought it had a realistic sheen on it. The standard ones looked very matt. The Hornby picture of City of Leicester (although it's not the actual loco)  looks like it's going to be satin as well. As an aside I like having a variety of finishes on locos on the layout, a couple of gloss ex works ones, satin to matt with ones that could have been cleaned on shed and matt ones for the grimy locos that I remember seeing. (A glossy one would have really stood out).

As a further aside on my pre covid train trips (and dare I say it photographic expeditions) locos and passenger stock all look very glossy these days. Perhaps it's better paint.

The thing is that, whilst the new Dublo locomotive bodies are metal, the tender bodies are plastic. If the metal results in a better paint finish, one would expect the loco and tender to have different finishes.

• Agree 1