Hornby 2021 - Hornby Dublo 2 rail

AY Mod

11 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

The thing is that, whilst the new Dublo locomotive bodies are metal, the tender bodies are plastic. If the metal results in a better paint finish, one would expect the loco and tender to have different finishes.

Good point. Maybe Hornby selected a different paint to give Duchess of Atholl a "superior" finish to make it look a bit different from the standard range? 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just wondering the city of Leicester says new tooling. Apart from the smoke deflectors wouldn’t the duchess of Atholl and city of Leicester use the same model with the drop down footplate. Or is it just to distinguish from the older tooling 

On 15/01/2021 at 13:32, railroadbill said:

Good point. Maybe Hornby selected a different paint to give Duchess of Atholl a "superior" finish to make it look a bit different from the standard range? 

Hornby-Dublo mixed metal and plastic. The 'west Country' had a metal loco body and a plastic tender body. Can't say I noticed any difference in the finish. (CJL)

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

My Hornby-Dublo locos had (have!) diecast metal bodies and tinplate (A4)  and diecast (castle and 8F), by the  time  Dorchester came out I was moving on to Scalextric   :-)    However the D1000 my grandmother had given me did have an all plastic body (which was self coloured, ie unpainted).

Musing on why the recent Duchess of Atholl seems to have a better finish, I wonder if it's because it doesn't have any boiler bands or cab/tender lining. I had a look at my Hornby Star  class and the boiler bands (very fine I may say) look shiny while the basic colour is matt. Therefore the bands stand out,  somehow don't look quite right. On the other hand  with the Hornby B1 I've got, perhaps because it's black, the lining doesn't stand out, and that has a very good finish. (Tony Wright said the same thing about Hornby B1s in his book).

So what's best for a model steam loco to make it stand out from the crowd to be special, gloss, stain, matt, weathered?

By the way, I've been making a timber clad station building, using the tips you wrote about in your article in March 2018 Model Rail, on Handborough station.  It's looking  good, thanks for a very useful article!

• Like 2

Two things bother me about Hornby’s Duchesses. The first is that the drawbar can’t be used at its shorter setting. It should be easy enough to make a new drawbar but so far, my efforts have been rather clumsy. It would be very easy for Hornby to rectify the matter by providing a spare, shorter drawbar and I’d be curious to know if that has been done. The second is that slots in a cross member on the trailing truck have to be filed in order to allow the flanged wheelset to turn. Again, I wonder if Hornby has addressed the matter. A King would avoid any perceived problems with a trailing truck but it would require more than a metal sheen if Hornby makes a muck of BR or GWR green again!

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Two things bother me about Hornby’s Duchesses. The first is that the drawbar can’t be used at its shorter setting. It should be easy enough to make a new drawbar but so far, my efforts have been rather clumsy. It would be very easy for Hornby to rectify the matter by providing a spare, shorter drawbar and I’d be curious to know if that has been done. The second is that slots in a cross member on the trailing truck have to be filed in order to allow the flanged wheelset to turn. Again, I wonder if Hornby has addressed the matter. A King would avoid any perceived problems with a trailing truck but it would require more than a metal sheen if Hornby makes a muck of BR or GWR green again!

The draw bar is quite definitely an improvement on the 1949 one.

:)

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, adb968008 said:

finally with thanks to @Derails Models, I believe Dan had to fend of several armed assaults at his storeroom to protect this model for me last summer.

Hehe! The closest it got was when Seal Team Six turned up, apparently Mr President himself was aware of how good these models were and wanted one for display in the oval office...... :wink_mini: 

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

21 hours ago, No Decorum said:

The second is that slots in a cross member on the trailing truck have to be filed in order to allow the flanged wheelset to turn. Again, I wonder if Hornby has addressed the matter. 

Don't Hornby advise that the flanged wheelset is meant to be for display only, and shouldn't be used when the loco is run?

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Fireline said:

Don't Hornby advise that the flanged wheelset is meant to be for display only, and shouldn't be used when the loco is run?

Yes they do, but just because Hornby say it, doesn't mean that everyone will abide by it - this is a modelling forum after all! :jester: 

Being a bit more serious, it does compromise the appearance of the model and fidelity to prototype, so a lot of those people who are lucky enough to have generous curves on their layout do try to find ways of running with the flanged trailing wheelset.  Most threads on RTR Pacifics etc. have discussions as to the different manufacturers' approaches to "the trailing wheelset problem", and explanations by intrepid modellers as to how they've made appropriate modifications... 

One day, I might be brave enough to try...

10 minutes ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

Yes they do, but just because Hornby say it, doesn't mean that everyone will abide by it - this is a modelling forum after all! :jester: 

Being a bit more serious, it does compromise the appearance of the model and fidelity to prototype, so a lot of those people who are lucky enough to have generous curves on their layout do try to find ways of running with the flanged trailing wheelset.  Most threads on RTR Pacifics etc. have discussions as to the different manufacturers' approaches to "the trailing wheelset problem", and explanations by intrepid modellers as to how they've made appropriate modifications... 

One day, I might be brave enough to try...

Yes indeed. After messing about with Setrack in my early days, I went to the opposite extreme and laid everything to a minimum radius of 6', with Peco large radius points. I have never had any difficulty with the side-to-side movement of replacement Hornby flanged trailing wheels. Where I have had difficulty is in cases where those wheels have not been designed “properly” (in my opinion). For example, in the case of a Hornby A4, the wheels did not touch the railhead and consequently did not rotate. I gave up in exasperation and swore off Hornby Pacifics. The solution, though, was so simple: a piece of packing between the keeper plate and the body would have allowed the wheelset to come into contact with the railhead.

Do I put too much emphasis on flanged trailing wheels? Possibly. Simon Kohler himself describes the Hornby arrangement as “Marmite” and the debate has become impassioned at times. I remember a time when flangeless centre driving wheels of six-coupled steam locomotives were on the way out. They were awful and that is probably why I can’t stand flangeless. Perhaps they aren’t very visible (neither is internal cab detail) but I know they are there.

I prefer the Bachman approach but I accept that it leads to shallow detail on the side frames. There are a lot of clever designers working on our models and I think both Hornby and Bachmann could do a little better. For example, a section of framing in thin metal sheet to allow maximum sideplay or, alternatively to allow deflection when necessary. Hornby Princesses are a delight. I think it would be grand if people with tighter curves than mine could enjoy fully flanged wheels throughout as well.

• Like 2

I tried fitting flanged trailing wheels to a P2 but that was just a little too far to go sadly. Flanged wheels have worked on rebuilt WCs and so on (min radius on layout 30"). Have bought second hand locos that didn't have the flanged wheels and have just left things as they are. Don't think it notices too much (,but one day I'll get round to it...)

• AY Mod unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, 97xx said:

Are they going to be limited to 500 each? Curious as I did find a retailer who was still taking pre-orders - I wonder if that's just wishful thinking (and money for a few months!).

Hornby are still marketing them as such as they did with the first Duchess release.

I ordered both GSN and EF's the day after they were announced.

My order was through Hornby direct as I thought this was the best way of securing both models.

Quite a few dealers won't accept a firm order and are compiling a list/register of interest.

One shop stated that this would be done on a "first come, first served" basis as they simply have no idea on how many M/N locos they will receive.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

I hope you all receive your new Hornby Dublo locomotives.

Why is Hornby supplying the Hornby Dublo 2-rail locomotives in blue Hornby Dublo boxes that the company used for 3-rail locomotives  when the original Hornby Dublo 2-rail locomotives had red boxes?

Maybe Because it looks nicer ?

Blue definitely looks better and differentiates to red for me anyway.

I’m not sure there would be much demand for 3 rail rtr in 2021.

personally i’d be cautious of pre-paying any retailer for these at this point.. 500 will probably have been soaked up back in January, shops taking waiting lists is probably more likely the ones I would trust, though think its a bet really, unless you really know / trust the shop, I suspect there could be a scrum on release.. at least one very well known retailer seemed to be taking unlimited number of orders.. then canceled loads to the ire of many on these pages.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well she’s arrived had it on the scales and it 1lb 5 or 606 grams for the kids on here.  The name plate seems to be plastic which is a shame considering the price. 

C274DBCB-BDEF-47F3-A79E-3102CB38C3CF.jpeg

2B3C8425-4912-4092-B853-A291B133DE8D.jpeg

EA32F67E-C8B2-404E-BB7D-4E8F893B84EB.jpeg

Edited by farren
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, farren said:

Well she’s arrived had it on the scales and it 1lb 5 or 606 grams for the kids on here.  The name plate seems to be plastic which is a shame considering the price. 

C274DBCB-BDEF-47F3-A79E-3102CB38C3CF.jpeg

2B3C8425-4912-4092-B853-A291B133DE8D.jpeg

EA32F67E-C8B2-404E-BB7D-4E8F893B84EB.jpeg

What a lovely model. The metal body certainly appears to make a difference with regards to paint application. Even the Brunswick Green looks good. 

Enjoy !

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I have to say it’s a good model and dose have the edge over the standard Montrose I have on paint finish. But I’m now unsure what to do with the both, as I’ve switched to LMS. Display or run them. 

did Hornby double O ever do the Princess Royal ? It seems like a natural progression to me LMS or BR don’t mind. 

• RMweb Gold

HD never did a Princess Royal she was a Triang loco, when I got my first trainset for Christmas in 1957, I think the locomotives produced then were;

standard 4 tank 80054

Coronation 46232

N2/7? 69550 ??

A4 60015

Then came A4 60022. Castle 7013, 8F, West Country, D8000, 08 shunter and a Deltic  ( not necessarily in that order......memory fade!!}. The Coronation was changed to to represent one with a utility front later. I' m sure someone on here will come with better information. My layout was purely 3 Rail.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

Model Railways Direct have City of Leicester at £262 - that's a good price.

That’s not bad £3 cheaper then the original price from Hornby. Mind if you have money to burn theirs  two on eBay for £349.99 with 5% discount if you buy two. Just Watching to see how silly the prices get. 

• Like 1