Hornby 2021 - Hornby Dublo 2 rail

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, cbrooks122000 said:

I have just paid that at Bure Valley, but I did pre order it ages ago. The amusing part about this, is Hornby seem to be honouring the original price, so if you pre ordered it from Hornby you effectively get it 10% off.

Quite convenient for Hornby is that.

Being fair, Ive found Hornby has always honoured a pre-order price, and when some have been heavily delayed, that has meant with inflation, your price has become more attractive than retailers. Its not really a strategy though.

Hornby's website is a better chance of actually getting something, if supply is short, its a must have and you dont mind paying a bit extra. They used to give club members 10% off, but that ended a few years back, thats when I exited the club.

There seems to be a few about at a few retailers, that said, there doesn't seem to be huge stocks, 1s & 2s, highest Ive seen is Kernow & Peters Spares with 7 each, I don't think it will last long.

The Bulleids however, I think are gold dust already.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, cbrooks122000 said:

Yes, that is my strategy lately. If I really want it I order it from Hornby. I ordered the Merchant Navy one from them as normally these are the ones that are most desirable (just look at the prices for second hand ones on EBay). Surprisingly I did really well, as it looks like Hornby honoured the original price. You also get it quicker from Hornby.

Except that is, unless they cancel an order giving no reason, which has happened in my case.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Typo
  • Friendly/supportive 1

28 minutes ago, 97xx said:

Any sign of the Dublo MNs yet?

Apparently in the process of being shipped out direct from Hornby.

These locos  were only announced as being in stock on Tuesday.

Pre orders with Hornby authorised outlets have yet to receive them so I've been told.

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, cbrooks122000 said:

Trouble is with Hornby they are now using Hermes for deliveries, so it is anyone's guess when you will actually get them. Funny though, the "on line" shopping sites manage to get delivery in a day, so did Hornby get the cheap deal.

Oh joy…

so that makes it a limited edition of 250 then... but in 6 months several will appear on ebay from a mysterious account in the hinterlands thats selling a whole bunch of other random tat.

Hermes dont deliver, they inflict.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I had a text from Hermes saying order awaiting completion on Tuesday nothing from Hornby. Next day sitting down having tea at 6.30- 7.00 nock at a door and there’s a man taking a photo of a box in the porch. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, cbrooks122000 said:

Well I received my City of Leicester today from Bure Valley and I must admit I am impressed. It is incredibly heavy, I am wondering if they uprated the motor to handle the extra weight. Shame they aren't selling any TTS decoders for the Duchess at the moment.

Have you managed to run yours yet? I have to admit I haven’t run mine needs a chip if that is to ever happen. I really haven’t made my mind up weather to run it or to just keep it safe for display.. though normally I’d consider that a waste. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, cbrooks122000 said:

Well I received my City of Leicester today from Bure Valley and I must admit I am impressed. It is incredibly heavy, I am wondering if they uprated the motor to handle the extra weight. Shame they aren't selling any TTS decoders for the Duchess at the moment.

Purely my personal opinion but a TTS decoder would not do justice to this model. I’d go for a decent sound decoder or none at all. It seems Hornby has used the same motor as on the plastic model.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I see Kernow is down to 5.

Cheltenham (£349 on ebay, £291 in store) and Olivias (£330) are hoping for a bumper harvest.

The £260 ones seem to have gone now, and pay day isn't until Tuesday for many.

I like watching the watchers on ebay.. its like those who take newspapers to the toilet… they are going for a while but cannot decide.

23 watching at £291.. its a mexican stand off, but there is only 2 available.. it only takes 1 bite for the rest to swarm.

I shouldnt look too much, ive not yet paid for mine !
anyways if your looking to save..

4 here for £276..

https://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/steam_locomotives/r3918_br_coronation_class_46252_city_of_leicester.htm

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Purely my personal opinion but a TTS decoder would not do justice to this model. I’d go for a decent sound decoder or none at all. It seems Hornby has used the same motor as on the plastic model.

While I agree with your comment about the TTS sound, it can be improved (slightly) by replacing the speaker with a bass enhanced one. I replaced one of mine with a round (28mm) speaker from Youchoos and it was better.

Edited by Bulleidboy100
amendment
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, cbrooks122000 said:

I must admit I was thinking the same about a decent sound decoder. I have decent YouChoos Zima one in one of my other Duchess locos and as expected is substantially better. It should be at two and a half times the price. I tend to use iphone speakers for all my TTS decoders, they are thinner than the original supplied ones, easier to insulate and sound a lot better.  Yes I have run it up and down on a piece of track, I do intend running it on the layout once I have fitted a decoder. Only tested it so far on DC on a metre length of track.

My main objection to TTS steam decoders is not the sound quality (which I think is quite good) nor the speakers, although I accept that better speakers are available. It is that the exhaust beats are not synchronised to the rotation of the wheels and the frequency of the beats increases in steps, which is not the way steam locomotives work. Your point about price is well made; I dare say there are people who prefer the saving.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

That looks a lovely model, I’m half tempted myself now… only half mind. 

Actually very tempted, that’s it I’m not looking on this topic anymore it could get very expensive. 

Edited by farren
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, cbrooks122000 said:

I must admit the exhaust beat synchronisation never bothers me, the thing I like about the Zimo is that it does random noises when it is standing still, just like a real one does. For little more than I pay for a normal decoder I get something that makes a noise. Mind you, now Hornby have put their prices up no longer such an easy decision. Even the expensive decoders can get the synchronisation wrong. I fixed a sound loco for someone, among a lot of other things wrong the motor on this loco was well shot and when I fitted a new motor the owner complained than synchronisation was wrong. The person that obviously fitted for him (obviously not noticing the fault with the motor) had set the cv values so that it was synchronised with his rubbish motor. Fortunately he got it fixed.

I remember having to delve into the CVs to synchronise one loco, though I can’t remember which one.

6 hours ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

It arrived safely via Hermes today. My first Hornby Dublo loco since the 1950's.

51410704073_c76623ca7e_k.jpgIMG_1004 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr

Indeed lovely and I am intrigued, is the paintwork pleasant to look at in natural light?

I took the liberty of enlarging part of your flickr photo  and it looks like the rivetting and fine details are well-rendered, as is the green colour.

Any thoughts?

35011_MN_Image2abcde_r1965.jpg

• Like 3

Further to the above, I have been fortunate enough to buy one of the R3971 35011 models and while I await delivery thought I'd tidy up the Hornby pre-production model a tad with editing, thus;

35011_MN_Image1abcdefg_r2080a.jpg.89550526c3d7648b05cc757e68a3400a.jpg

I can't wait!  The foreground is taken from a photo at Stewart's Lane so is appropriate. Except that 35011 was always a western division engine was it not?  :)

Will remove if pic offends.

Cheers

Edited by robmcg
correction
  • Like 4

Thanks re lights.

Should have also asked - what additional details come in the box? I'm referring to the Hornby press photos that seem to show drain cocks/piping and front steps, for example.

Thanks.

12 minutes ago, Flittersnoop said:

Have any hints been given about future releases in this range? I'd love to get a die-cast Stanier 8F.

You'll have to wait until January next for that info when Hornby release details of their 2022 range.

IMO, an excellent proposition regarding the 8F, but only if it's an all new tooled model !

• Like 1
  • Agree 2