Hornby 2021 - Hornby Dublo 2 rail

AY Mod

19 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I noticed that suddenly these appeared, several sellers who had multiples in stock suddenly no longer have listings…sold out or squirrelled away ?

I notice that one major tier one retailer had none in stock for R3918 for the last week or more, but last night had one in stock. A couple of other retailers have '1 in stock' one had 5 R3918 46252 three days ago, 4 now after I bought one, and had 5 R3970 35016 for most of last week, but suddenly went down to two and is now out of stock. Jadlam appears to be able to supply either but I'd have to be desperate to deal with them.

Other retailers seem to have an occasional one for sale, the disbursement of models appears to be a black art, I'm unclear as to the way some retailers act as if they can order one for you.

For all I know some larger retailers who sell mostly non-railway stuff may have ordered one or two of each R3918, R3970 and R3971, Duchess 46252, Merchant Navys 35016 and 35011 respectively, and they might pop up on a shelf or indeed already be there. 

Restricting production to 500 certainly makes them more desirable, to me anyway.

Edited by robmcg
correction
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Looking at the Hornby website catalogue,the two Hornby Dublo Bulleids are still in stock.Looking closely,they appear to have the same chassis as the plastic bodied models.A pic of the chassis would be interesting.This is the chassis of Channel Packet.

Ray.

20210523_232842.jpg.jpg

Edited by sagaguy

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sagaguy said:

Looking at the Hornby website catalogue,the two Hornby Dublo Bulleids are still in stock.Looking closely,they appear to have the same chassis as the plastic bodied models.A pic of the chassis would be interesting.This is the chassis of Channel Packet.

Ray.

20210523_232842.jpg.jpg

Strange that Hornby have gone against convention and chosen to have the motor facing backwards driving the rear wheel rather than power the centre driver. The spirit of Bullied and his quest for the unconventional lives :)

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

How strange that all three die-cast models in the recent release are still available.  I had the impression they were all but sold out everywhere.

Any excuse to show off my 35011, here are some views with different lighting, the satin finish isn't very deep in colour with this rear-bias lighting, but the detail is excellent on the body.

No editing, just cropping and sharpening. Canon M6 MkII camera, auto exposure and colour.

IMG_0494a_r2080a.jpg.6c74c26744917c28c72b822cb1e07056.jpg

Img_0505ab_r2080a.jpg.efc360bbc59e979193d0d57b71f84662.jpg

IMG_0500a_r2080a.jpg.9dc663c15db7f8facf2973930e04b7d7.jpg

It's carefully packed away now, and in thinking about it, I don't recall seeing a numbered certificate, just the instruction pamphlet. I should have looked more carefully.

Edited by robmcg
addition
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, cbrooks122000 said:

I didn't receive a numbered certificate with any of my Hornby Dublo models. So do they exist?

Originally advertised as limited to 500 produced, if I recall correctly my two 6231 Atholl models each had a numbered certificate, and I presumed that these three new current models would each have one too.   To be honest the patchy availability of the models is a bit unusual. I do hope their use of the phrase 'strictly limited' is apt.

Come to think of it, is it possible to buy a die-cast Duchess of Atholl these days?  Last I saw in Ebay they had the usual high asking prices. 

8 hours ago, robmcg said:

Originally advertised as limited to 500 produced, if I recall correctly my two 6231 Atholl models each had a numbered certificate, and I presumed that these three new current models would each have one too.   To be honest the patchy availability of the models is a bit unusual. I do hope their use of the phrase 'strictly limited' is apt.

Come to think of it, is it possible to buy a die-cast Duchess of Atholl these days?  Last I saw in Ebay they had the usual high asking prices. 

I have asked. Although they are limited in production, they are not a "limited edition" as such, so don't come with certificates. That includes the Duchess released previously.

Edited by Fireline

20 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

The LMS Maroon Duchess was one of the Hornby 100th Anniversary series models so would have been certificated (as robmcg above would appear to confirm). That doesn't apply to this years models though

My Duchess of Atholl definitely had a certificate, but having checked last night all 3 of the current releases appear not to have ,the only paperwork is the instruction sheet.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

So even though Hornby described the three current die-cast Hornby Dublo models as a run of 500 each they may well do extra production runs?

I have no doubt that the tooling will be used again, but I had been under the impression that part of the appeal of these lovely models was their limited availability of particular versions and catalogue numbers.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned and naieve..

For those with lingering doubts about the Hornby and Bachmann renditions of Brunswick Green here is the new R3971 35011 and a 2005 Bachmann A1 in very similar light.

I personally think Hornby got it all a bit faded with Kings, less so with the A2s, and recent Bulleids aren't far off, but still not quite 'there'.  The various Bachmann versions are generally darker with a touch more sheen on some models, but variations in lighting and cameras and computers are much bigger influences.

IMG_0500ab_r2080a.jpg.e65ad1a5b2ec7fe39849373f67fac523.jpg

IMG_0530a_r2080.jpg

Edited by robmcg
addition
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, robmcg said:

So even though Hornby described the three current die-cast Hornby Dublo models as a run of 500 each they may well do extra production runs?

I have no doubt that the tooling will be used again, but I had been under the impression that part of the appeal of these lovely models was their limited availability of particular versions and catalogue numbers.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned and naieve..

For those with lingering doubts about the Hornby and Bachmann renditions of Brunswick Green here is the new R3971 35011 and a 2005 Bachmann A1 in very similar light.

I personally think Hornby got it all a bit faded with Kings, less so with the A2s, and recent Bulleids aren't far off, but still not quite 'there'.  The various Bachmann versions are generally darker with a touch more sheen on some models, but variations in lighting and cameras and computers are much bigger influences.

IMG_0500ab_r2080a.jpg.e65ad1a5b2ec7fe39849373f67fac523.jpg

IMG_0530a_r2080.jpg

Indeed, this will not bode well or enhance Hornby's reputation for the future if that is the case.

N.B, These locos were offered at a substantial pricing point/premium over the main range.

Much was made of these locos being limited to 500 units in each livery and that should remain the case.

If Hornby decide to increase the production run on these particular HD range releases, potential customers in the future will just wait for the inevitable prices reductions.

An "Own Goal" in the offing !

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Typo
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Indeed, this will not bode well or enhance Hornby's reputation for the future if that is the case.

N.B, These locos were offered at a substantial pricing point/premium over the main range.

Much was made of these locos being limited to 500 units in each livery and that should remain the case.

If Hornby decide to increase the production run on these particular HD range releases, potential customers in the future will just wait for the inevitable prices reductions.

An "Own Goal" in the offing !

IMHO, anyone who buys 'limited edition' models primarily for their 'exclusivity' takes a risk, in the same way that buying antiques as an investment is a risk.

Model railways are to be used and enjoyed; not hoarded and gloated over.

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

IMHO, anyone who buys 'limited edition' models primarily for their 'exclusivity' take a risk, in the same way that buying antiques as an investment is a risk.

Model railways are to be used and enjoyed; not hoarded and gloated over.

CJI.

Maybe you are right.

However the "500 Limited Edition" pretence on what these models were heralded by Hornby is surely misleading to say the least!

Consumer protection legal speak maintains the following :- When dealing with potential consumers you must ensure that you act fairly; you must provide accurate information and avoid business practices that are unfair, misleading.

Personally,  I didn't buy mine as a "guaranteed future investment", I bought them because of the liveries and class specific variants offered.

For once we may agree on something. That is "Model railways are to be used and enjoyed; not hoarded and gloated over".

Edited by Black 5 Bear

Good morning, newly registered to the forum but long term lurker.

I received my ‘City of Leicester’ a few days ago but have been in holiday so only just opened it. Unfortunately the all-too-familiar rattling of parts having fallen off. So disheartening, especially for a model at this price point. However these are easily re-attached and the loose smoke deflector re-affixed. However the last picture shows the part I am struggling with as I can’t see how this attaches. Is anyone able to assist please? A picture of how it should look would be really helpful.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Gary

3A7610BB-2913-4EB6-950F-B074CDB106FB.jpeg

96E4DD63-CFC0-475B-821A-5B64AFA79E23.jpeg

E7D0DBC7-F660-422B-AA4B-AE152FC5FB8A.jpeg

• Friendly/supportive 1

37 minutes ago, GaryC said:

Good morning, newly registered to the forum but long term lurker.

I received my ‘City of Leicester’ a few days ago but have been in holiday so only just opened it. Unfortunately the all-too-familiar rattling of parts having fallen off. So disheartening, especially for a model at this price point. However these are easily re-attached and the loose smoke deflector re-affixed. However the last picture shows the part I am struggling with as I can’t see how this attaches. Is anyone able to assist please? A picture of how it should look would be really helpful.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Gary

3A7610BB-2913-4EB6-950F-B074CDB106FB.jpeg

96E4DD63-CFC0-475B-821A-5B64AFA79E23.jpeg

Hi Gary,

The long panel is a tender fall plate.

The top panel(Centre) looks as it may have come detached from behind the smoke deflector.

The triangular section with the builders plate is part of the sloping front frame section. Please see attached photo as a guide.

Hope this assists.

image.png.47da7940ed253c175b12970ac5c3cc10.png

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Typo

Hi Black 5 Bear,

Many thanks for your reply, much appreciated. I didn’t explain myself that well I don’t think. I can locate where the pieces go but the tender fall plate I just can’t see how it is supposed to be fixed. I suppose it might help if I try uncoupling the tender from the loco. So frustrating!

regards,

Gary

22 minutes ago, GaryC said:

Hi Black 5 Bear,

Many thanks for your reply, much appreciated. I didn’t explain myself that well I don’t think. I can locate where the pieces go but the tender fall plate I just can’t see how it is supposed to be fixed. I suppose it might help if I try uncoupling the tender from the loco. So frustrating!

regards,

Gary

Hi Gary,

If you can get hold of/download a Hornby servicing/assembly diagram that maybe beneficial.

Otherwise a customer services call to H maybe in order. 

Regards,

Mark

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Typo
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, GaryC said:

Hi Black 5 Bear,

regards,

Gary

I've just looked at the fall plate on a diagram and this appears to be attached to the loco and not the tender.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-service-sheet-for-Princess-Coronation-Class-Locomotive-/363282252090?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Maybe you are right.

However the "500 Limited Edition" pretence on what these models were heralded by Hornby is surely misleading to say the least!

Consumer protection legal speak maintains the following :- When dealing with potential consumers you must ensure that you act fairly; you must provide accurate information and avoid business practices that are unfair, misleading.

Personally,  I didn't buy mine as a "guaranteed future investment", I bought them because of the liveries and class specific variants offered.

For once we may agree on something. That is "Model railways are to be used and enjoyed; not hoarded and gloated over".

Purely on 'impressions' my impression was that the 100th anniversary 6231 was a proper limited edition but the this years 46252 and the MN's were general releases made in limited numbers which is a different proposition entirely. Glad you bought yours to enjoy :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, GaryC said:

Hi Black 5 Bear,

regards,

Gary

On the plastic main range model the fall plate is pivoted from the back of the loco cab. Can't see any attachments on yours - if its the same as for the platic version I am fearing it has snapped rather than fallen off. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

57 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Purely on 'impressions' my impression was that the 100th anniversary 6231 was a proper limited edition but the this years 46252 and the MN's were general releases made in limited numbers which is a different proposition entirely. Glad you bought yours to enjoy :)

But why would Hornby even mention

"limited to 500" if it was a main range/general release?

That was the implied impression on their advance marketing, as evidenced by Mike on the Hornby Signal Box blog - 5/01/2021 https://youtu.be/Ld1RUHInXFM.

Additionally, the "Limited to 500 Models" appears to have disappeared from the range list for R3970/3971.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

But why would Hornby even mention

"limited to 500" if it was a main range/general release?

That was the implied impression on their advance marketing, as evidenced by Mike on the Hornby Signal Box blog - 5/01/2021 https://youtu.be/Ld1RUHInXFM.

Additionally, the "Limited to 500 Models" appears to have disappeared from the range list for R3970/3971.

Its a moot point. I read it as being 'these are a little bit special, last years Ltd Edition went well so we're making some more available this year - not our main business and we know collectors like them so heads up - we're only making 500'. So I'm reading it as a warning that if you want one, get your order in as there wont be many. Have we any evidence that they have made more 500?

• Friendly/supportive 1

32 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Its a moot point. I read it as being 'these are a little bit special, last years Ltd Edition went well so we're making some more available this year - not our main business and we know collectors like them so heads up - we're only making 500'. So I'm reading it as a warning that if you want one, get your order in as there wont be many. Have we any evidence that they have made more 500?

Have we any evidence that they have made more 500?

Or could it be the case, 500 of each variant applies specifically to the UK market?

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Have we any evidence that they have made more 500?

Or could it be the case, 500 of each variant applies specifically to the UK market?

And does it matter? I'm not sure it does . Lovely looking models - especially the MN's and those with one seem to be enjoying them :)

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 10/09/2021 at 06:57, MikeParkin65 said:

And does it matter? I'm not sure it does . Lovely looking models - especially the MN's and those with one seem to be enjoying them :)

While I am very happy with my purchases of the die-cast MNs and Duchess I do take into account their potential resale value, because at times I sell models in order to indulge in other things like living costs, thus I judged the 'limited to 500' to enhance that value. 

As to 'gloating' over the models , well, there is pleasure in owning something a bit special, and if some denigrate me for not running them, they are welcome.

Here is my personalised 46252 in BR green....    instead of kit-bashing a model I 'photo-bashed' this in anticipation of receipt of a nice heavy die cast version which is in the hands of Royal Mail.

46252_Duchess_BR2_2abcdef_r2080a.jpg.0b763f34b293bbcb162878614af37f9b.jpg

photo edited, but I think pretty representative of R3918.  Will remove if it offends.

• Like 3