Hornby 2021 - Hornby Dublo 2 rail

AY Mod

On 10/09/2021 at 06:50, Black 5 Bear said:

Have we any evidence that they have made more 500?

Or could it be the case, 500 of each variant applies specifically to the UK market?

We have no evidence, and are unlikely to ever have any.

Possibly the re-appearance of models for sale after being 'sold out' is pre-orders not being fulfilled, and people who pre-ordered but didn't buy after say two weeks lost their chance. 

Just guessing. Equally I have no idea of the numbers sold outside the UK but my 35011 was in the hands of a retailer at about the same time as release in the UK but no others have appeared locally here in NZ so far as I know...  which increased my feeling that the models were rare.

• Friendly/supportive 1

I think it's unlikely they'll exceed 500 each, there's a bigger market in a re-run having a different number/name. But I can honestly say that it's not how limited an edition is that makes it desirable - it's about demand exceeding supply. The Corgi Toys Batmobile was made from 1966 until 1983 and 5 million were produced but a perfect mint boxed example will exceed £300, with £1000+ not unknown for early examples. It is an iconic toy that has never been reissued by Corgi due to licensing issues and the quantity out there is exceeded by those willing to buy them.

By contrast 1980s certificated 'limited edition' Lledo models touted as family heirlooms clog auction houses and antique shops and quite frankly could double as landfill.....

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 hours ago, cbrooks122000 said:

I suspect the 10% increase put some people off fulfilling their pre-orders. These models recommended retail price is too close to £300, for some people that is above what they want to pay, even if they can afford it.

Yes that makes sense.

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, amwells said:

Email from Hornby yesterday confirming limited to 500

Yes, and only showing the malachite green Southern Railway version in stock, meaning that the "pretty version" hasn't sold as well as the work-a-day British Railways one.   An interesting result.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

City of Leicester is a weighty beast and trundles up and down and round and about my layout without any need to change the controller settings. I am well pleased with it.   There is a video:

This is my second attempt at finding a model.  The first arrived with bits in the box.  The retailer's outer cardboard box was skin tight and it was obvious that Royal Mail had tossed the parcel around - the shock being transmitted directly to the Hornby blue box and vacuum packaging.  The tiny bit of broken plastic in the picture below was off the frame extension beneath the smoke box door - one was broken the other was unglued.

DSC07872.JPG.3ecc783ba3a30de70be87ab302d81893.JPG

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 19/09/2021 at 23:10, robmcg said:

Peters Spaes has had four R3918 in stock for over a week, at UKP291.

Looks like theyve had a run on them…

1 left yours for £39,999 !

96DB7D56-3DA0-46ED-A33D-72D318FF22A2.jpeg.d6f12e2f9a360c27b8b25c00b3047b43.jpeg

a bit stingy on the nectar points… only 300 for 40 Grand spend..

Tell you what though, if someone really wants one I’ll sell you mine for £39998… and you can have the postage on me.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
On 15/09/2021 at 08:58, phil gollin said:

Yes, and only showing the malachite green Southern Railway version in stock, meaning that the "pretty version" hasn't sold as well as the work-a-day British Railways one.   An interesting result.

No real surprise, though. With all the previous Light Pacific models, the malachite ones (whether with SR or BR markings) have always seemed to remain obtainable far longer than those in BR Brunswick.

That remains apparent on the pre-owned market, with most versions being fairly easy to find and usually cheaper by twenty quid or so. Most swapmeet dealers have three or four malachite on offer for every Brunswick example. 

John

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1