Hornby 2021 - Hornby Dublo 2 rail

AY Mod

20 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Stunning !

Channel Packet and Royal Mail in SR malachite were both part of the initial offerings from Hornby back in 2017.

Both are really sought after and IMO this will follow on for the newly released HD versions.

Ah, of course!  I was thinking of post-war versions.  I have both 21C1  and 21C3. Superb models.

While I wait for 35016 to wend its way to my doorstep, I messed around with the Hornby advertising photo, adding details mostly.  Quite delectable. I can't see these hanging around shops much longer.  I bought mine from Peters Spares.

35016_MN_r3970_3abcde_r2080a.jpg.83feb9acabc38c86acc4fc2601e61975.jpg

• Like 5

Apples and pears perhaps, but has any 'new owner' also got an original H-D version, for a side-to-side comparison?

Hauling 22 with wheelspin is still impressive, but how does that compare with an original, very healthy (remagnetised perhaps) H-D West Country (or even original spam can original)?

Al.

• RMweb Gold
On 04/09/2021 at 08:10, robmcg said:

Ah, of course!  I was thinking of post-war versions.  I have both 21C1  and 21C3. Superb models.

While I wait for 35016 to wend its way to my doorstep, I messed around with the Hornby advertising photo, adding details mostly.  Quite delectable. I can't see these hanging around shops much longer.  I bought mine from Peters Spares.

35016_MN_r3970_3abcde_r2080a.jpg.83feb9acabc38c86acc4fc2601e61975.jpg

Where have you and your photography been lately!!

Mike

• Like 2

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

Apples and pears perhaps, but has any 'new owner' also got an original H-D version, for a side-to-side comparison?

Hauling 22 with wheelspin is still impressive, but how does that compare with an original, very healthy (remagnetised perhaps) H-D West Country (or even original spam can original)?

Al.

I'm not aware that a Hornby Dublo "original spam can" ever existed.

CJI.

• Agree 5

1 hour ago, Black 5 Bear said:

A very natural progression in IMO. It would be good to see a BR green Union of South Africa or Mallard.

Agreed. And then a GWR King, as the brand is evolved into a premium product. The logical extension of that would be a premium D+E loco………

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, miles73128 said:

Agreed. And then a GWR King, as the brand is evolved into a premium product. The logical extension of that would be a premium D+E loco………

If that's the case, hopefully Hornby will get the BR Brunswick or GWR green livery rendition on the King correct.

I see Peters Spares is down to 1 in stock of R3970 35016, after being on 5 for nearly a week. They still have 5 left of R3918 46252 ...  I bet that won't last.

No connection but a satisfied customer.

I wonder how many R3971 35011 are still for sale at RRP?

Edited by robmcg
addition
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 05/09/2021 at 06:41, ikks said:

Where have you and your photography been lately!!

Mike

Scaled it back, at least on RMweb, in favour of my Facebook page 'BR Steam Photos'.

I'm enjoying Hornby models of the steam era as much as ever.  My photos do not usually fit the rules for threads in the product section, many being modified and edited. 

Edited by robmcg
clarification
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

A very natural progression IMO. It would be good to see a BR green Union of South Africa or Mallard.

I think unless there is a new A4 next year then the next HD model might be a Castle (obvious HD connection) or as previously suggested a King. Only 2 models in to the HD range but I wonder if it is coincidental or not that Hornby are using newly tooled models as the basis?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

52 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I think unless there is a new A4 next year then the next HD model might be a Castle (obvious HD connection) or as previously suggested a King. Only 2 models in to the HD range but I wonder if it is coincidental or not that Hornby are using newly tooled models as the basis?

Or a curve ball model such as a Thompson A2/2 or 3?

We've had LMS and SR locomotives so far in HD releases.

It could well follow that we see something from the LNER or GWR stable next year.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Another video from Deepa, a 1962 H-D 2-rail Barnstaple showing its power..

Impressive, and not too surprising as the HD models with their large ringfield motors draw twice the current of modern day models. Putting aside motor efficiencies, that's twice the torque to be deployed with a similar weight loco.

Let's hope the new HD loco motors aren't short-lived!

10 hours ago, sagaguy said:

I suspect the chassis is similar to these locos,very smooth and powerful.

Ray.

20210526_154257.jpg.jpg

This is how i 3 railed mine with a Marklin skate.The first pic is of the recent Hornby Spamcan and the second is of my Hornby Ivatt Coronation class but the priciples the same.

Ray.

20210416_232529.jpg

20210430_170755.jpg.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 hours ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

I see one seller on Ebay is "hoping" to make a profit? He has both of the Hornby Dublo Merchant Navy Class at £525 each. I'm "watching" just to see if they sell.

There's still some HD versions about at the £295 price point which need to go before these sell at this price IMO.

For what it's worth, a 2017 main range release in the form of Royal Mail in SR malachite is on offer on eBay for £495 including postage.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

I see one seller on Ebay is "hoping" to make a profit? He has both of the Hornby Dublo Merchant Navy Class at £525 each. I'm "watching" just to see if they sell.

I noticed that suddenly these appeared, several sellers who had multiples in stock suddenly no longer have listings…sold out or squirrelled away ?

I don't generally bother with pre-orders but it was apparent with these H-D models that they would not hang around when released so I did pre-order General Steam Navigation, and have duly paid for and collected it in the past week. Had I not, there has been a window of opportunity to pick one up from a limited selection of retailers at list price - that window is now closing. So I don't think this model falls into the category where there has been no opportunity to purchase before being subject to those fishing for higher prices. If people want to speculate by trying out for high prices on ebay they are free to do so - just as people are free not to buy. I suspect these will hold their value but we will find out the true resale value (i.e. what they might consistently actually sell for) in the next few weeks/months.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Black 5 Bear said:

There's still some HD versions about at the £295 price point which need to go before these sell at this price IMO.

For what it's worth, a 2017 main range release in the form of Royal Mail in SR malachite is on offer on eBay for £495 including postage.

This is Channel Packet which i bought from Hattons a few months ago for around £200.It`s parked next to one of my Wrenn spamcans for comparison.

Ray.

20210528_233602.jpg.jpg

20210108_143935.jpg

• Like 1