Hornby 2021 - HST & Mk3 range

AY Mod

2 hours ago, Wolf27 said:

Think Hornby have stated they won’t be adding a working upper headlight as it would be ‘too much work’ or words to that effect. Expect a printed impression. But as it’s Hornbys cash cow and they know they will sell out, they won’t be too fussed. Maybe because the market they are going for isn’t worried about such trivial details.....

The market is wrong then, not Hornby! I wouldn't pay £314 for a pair of power cars that lack such an obvious bit of detail, or a similar amount for nine coaches with significant compromises/flaws on them but I'm not saying there are not several that will- more fool them in my book.

• Agree 6

1 hour ago, cbrooks122000 said:

On the original subject, I decided to upgrade my old HST from the 80's. I originally bought the new Intercity class to replace it, but then realised it didn't go with the shortened MK3 carriages, so I decided to improve my 80's version. So I had been having issues with the dummy car dragging, so I decided to update the chassis to the latest Railroad type as you can still get the parts. Did you know that the Railroad version has smaller wheels, smaller than the 1980s versions onwards with Ringfield motors and smaller than the latest high detail versions. I assume it was done so the body runs at the right height.

I've been boring everyone senseless with this, get the Lima coaches, put in the Lazerglaze and the replacement interiors if doing a livery after blue/grey, invest a bit of time and effort in the power cars and do a bit of weathering and you end up with a train in many ways far better than Hornby's output for a fraction of the price. I've also repowered one of my Lima power cars with the Strathpeffer Jcn "CD motor" and trial running that before rolling out across some of the more tired power cars in my fleet, and almost all power cars now have a (crude by other peoples standards) directional lighting rig up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

I've been boring everyone senseless with this, get the Lima coaches, put in the Lazerglaze and the replacement interiors if doing a livery after blue/grey, invest a bit of time and effort in the power cars and do a bit of weathering and you end up with a train in many ways far better than Hornby's output for a fraction of the price. I've also repowered one of my Lima power cars with the Strathpeffer Jcn "CD motor" and trial running that before rolling out across some of the more tired power cars in my fleet, and almost all power cars now have a (crude by other peoples standards) directional lighting rig up.

Its probably fair to say that there are more Hornby customers that will buy Hornby whatever errors or omissions, than there are grumpy Rmweb members. Probably not by much though given the amount of recent grumpiness.

Edited by Wolf27
Grammar
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, cbrooks122000 said:

I never saw that one.

It was a project in conjunction with the EU (am I allowed to say that now?)......it was very hush hush at the time, resin block with liners, ceramic pistons, plastic inlet manifold (about the only bit to lead on) etc etc, we actually went to Brussels with it and drove it around the City with one of the Ministers.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Back on topic.....I suppose I ought to.....:rolleyes:.......I bought the new Railroad HST set a few months back and have been fitting the Valenta sound in them, the project stalled a bit (as often they do) as I decided I wanted lighting as well, I will get around to it but I wasn’t that impressed by the single bogie running qualities very much.

Itll probably end up on a shelf on display.

Edited by boxbrownie
Because today it corrected to Valentines!

30 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Back on topic.....I suppose I ought to.....:rolleyes:.......I bought the new Railroad HST set a few months back and have been fitting the Valenta sound in them, the project stalled a bit (as often they do) as I decided I wanted lighting as well, I will get around to it but I wasn’t that impressed by the single bogie running qualities very much.

Itll probably end up on a shelf on display.

Curious, what is your Railroad HST not doing that you want it to do with regard running qualities? I'm clearly less fussy, or not trying to creep around with them but they are OK for me, if a little noisy.

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Curious, what is your Railroad HST not doing that you want it to do with regard running qualities? I'm clearly less fussy, or not trying to creep around with them but they are OK for me, if a little noisy.

Yes it is very noisy and the slow, or starting and stopping quality is very “sudden” there is no gliding to a halt with the Ringfield motor, I actually fitted the Strathpeffer CD motor in my APT but although much smoother it just doesn’t have the traction to keep going on R2 curves with the full train.

I thought about doing the same conversion to the HST but abandoned the idea after the APT.

Its the start/stop quality that I value the most I think and the Ringfield just doesn’t do it for me. It’s the same in some of the old diesels I have with the motor.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Yes it is very noisy and the slow, or starting and stopping quality is very “sudden” there is no gliding to a halt with the Ringfield motor, I actually fitted the Strathpeffer CD motor in my APT but although much smoother it just doesn’t have the traction to keep going on R2 curves with the full train.

I thought about doing the same conversion to the HST but abandoned the idea after the APT.

Its the start/stop quality that I value the most I think and the Ringfield just doesn’t do it for me. It’s the same in some of the old diesels I have with the motor.

What controller are you using? I agree that the ringfields are not great in that respect, they are ye olde tech so I don't have high aspirations, but not so bad that I'd bin anything because of it. I used the 6V motor in the trial power car install, well capable of holding the speed with 8 Mk3's and a dummy power car, but the need to set the wave switch to "half" and then still not use full power otherwise scale speeds get ridiculous. Oh, and the noise volume is quieter but the electrical noise upsetting my LED headlights is "Spinal Tap"...

• RMweb Premium

I am using a Gaugemaster  twin track momentum for my D.C. “running in” before fitting DCC.

The TTS decoders are best insulated with capton/sellotape as it is not so thick as normal heat shrink which lets the decoders get too hot.

I need to try the APT with the CD motor again but put the traction tyres wheels back on I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It would seem that Hornby has a new livery to add for 2022 range, as 43102 has finally been recognised for its place in history.

https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2021/02/east-midlands-railway-unveil-iconic-livery-for-class-43-locomotive-43102-and-confirms-future-at-yorks-railway-museum.html

having this with an EMR power car and more EmT livery coaches would be nice and breathe one more gasp into this tooling.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

It would seem that Hornby has a new livery to add for 2022 range, as 43102 has finally been recognised for its place in history.

Whilst 43159 rusts away at Long Marston.

Anyway, if Hornby does do this it'll be a little late for me. I've just replaced my home-brew repaint of 43002 with this rather nice thing;

PXL_20210222_175855738.NIGHT.jpg.e6488fcb48ad75b171bace66a4a450db.jpg

So I now have a spare PC which is having it's exhausts modified and is being sent off for a professional repaint into 43102

It will be interesting to see how the livery application of the LNER Farewell HST's compares to 43002. I know people have moaned about the blue and there are two slight blemishes on mine, but I'm not fussed at it looks miles better than my repaint anyway. 

Cheers,

Edited by 60800
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2021/02/east-midlands-railway-unveil-iconic-livery-for-class-43-locomotive-43102-and-confirms-future-at-yorks-railway-museum.html

having this with an EMR power car and more EmT livery coaches would be nice and breathe one more gasp into this tooling.

I’d love for Hornby to do a set with 43102 and an EMR red one, but as they are being retired in May this year Hornby will probably of forgot all about it by the time they come to announce next years models :) 

I hoped Hornby would have announced a red EMR HST for 2021 but as they didn’t I had to create my own... 

BC751322-318D-4718-9B52-9FA460424F74.jpeg

D6DBA3E6-57A7-4576-ABC5-C20614B72E67.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

3 hours ago, 60800 said:

Whilst 43159 rusts away at Long Marston.

Anyway, if Hornby does do this it'll be a little late for me. I've just replaced my home-brew repaint of 43002 with this rather nice thing;

PXL_20210222_175855738.NIGHT.jpg.e6488fcb48ad75b171bace66a4a450db.jpg

So I now have a spare PC which is having it's exhausts modified and is being sent off for a professional repaint into 43102

It will be interesting to see how the livery application of the LNER Farewell HST's compares to 43002. I know people have moaned about the blue and there are two slight blemishes on mine, but I'm not fussed at it looks miles better than my repaint anyway. 

Cheers,

43159 is no longer rusting away at Long Marston!...it’s now at Burton rusting away instead.

Here’s a picture from December 2020 I’ve found online.

It would make a nice display as a pair at York nicely painted up as the fastest diesels in the world :) 

BF8A6945-7199-4341-A101-9537A8429057.jpeg

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the update regarding 159 @Northmoor MPD

Sad state of affairs really. I remember her being on display at York railfest in 2012 - in great nick but no hint of her importance. Either that or the prototype was the first HST I cabbed - both on the same day one after the other, I just can't remember the order. I do recall going into 159's engine room though.

Cheers,

Edited by 60800
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Northmoor MPD said:

I hoped Hornby would have announced a red EMR HST for 2021 but as they didn’t I had to create my own....

Hi Northmoor MPD, what paint did you use over the original logos on the powercars please? I'm currently using the Railtec LNER vinyls but I'm not overly happy with them.

Cheers,

1 hour ago, 60800 said:

Hi Northmoor MPD, what paint did you use over the original logos on the powercars please? I'm currently using the Railtec LNER vinyls but I'm not overly happy with them.

Cheers,

Hi 60800,

I removed the old transfers with a cocktail stick and some white spirit, put the transfers on, masked up some straight edges and gave it a light coat of satin varnish to replicate the look of a vinyl overlay.

Cheers 

Adam 

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

9 minutes ago, Northmoor MPD said:

Hi 60800,

I removed the old transfers with a cocktail stick and some white spirit, put the transfers on, masked up some straight edges and gave it a light coat of satin varnish to replicate the look of a vinyl overlay.

Cheers 

Adam 

Hi Adam,

Thanks - don't know why I didn't think of the satin Varnish approach. I'll do that :)

Cheers,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 60800 said:

Pleasantly surprised how easy that came off! 

PXL_20210224_190347838.jpg.c110172ff4826268cf6051b01edc2245.jpg

@Northmoor MPD Did you spray your satin Varnish? Not sure whether to seal before the LNER transfers or after.

Cheers,

Looking good! 
I positioned the transfers where I needed and gave them a light coat of satin varnish with a brush, I thought I’d give one a try with a brush and if it didn’t look good then I’d take it back off and have a go at spraying them but I was presently surprised how well it came out so I did the rest :)

• Thanks 1

PXL_20210224_232202996.NIGHT.jpg.ffbb75087131d7a781899d44dba7037f.jpg

That's 257 stripped and the vinyls practically peeled off of 311 and 300 - I find it bizarre that Hornby have stated there is a demand for LNER Mk3's, yet they are still in relative abundance and the power cars can be found nowhere but second hand. 

The missing PC here is 43238, but I'm happy with the cut down vinyls on that and don't want to mess around on it with T-cut.

Cheers,

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 60800 said:

PXL_20210224_232202996.NIGHT.jpg.ffbb75087131d7a781899d44dba7037f.jpg

That's 257 stripped and the vinyls practically peeled off of 311 and 300 - I find it bizarre that Hornby have stated there is a demand for LNER Mk3's, yet they are still in relative abundance and the power cars can be found nowhere but second hand. 

The missing PC here is 43238, but I'm happy with the cut down vinyls on that and don't want to mess around on it with T-cut.

Cheers,

That looks excellent! Top job :)

I myself was also confused that Hornby released another run of VTEC Mk3s but no power cars... like you say no where has them in stock to buy new yet the market still has many Mk3s in that livery sat on shelves in model shops.

Maybe they’ll surprise us with a mid year announcement... :dirol_mini:

• Agree 1

On 24/02/2021 at 12:50, Northmoor MPD said:

I’d love for Hornby to do a set with 43102 and an EMR red one, but as they are being retired in May this year Hornby will probably of forgot all about it by the time they come to announce next years models :) 

I hoped Hornby would have announced a red EMR HST for 2021 but as they didn’t I had to create my own... 

D6DBA3E6-57A7-4576-ABC5-C20614B72E67.jpeg

I'd be happy if they did a rerun of the blue/white EMT ones as they seem to be astronomically priced 2nd hand!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Let's all cry tears of joy.... After all the "bashing" Hornby received, they're now doing the top headlight on the LSL Blue Pullman

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/full-tilt

Apparently Hornby doesn't listen to feedback 

So why haven't they done this with the NMT? Seems like they only listen to feedback when it suits them.

And the cameras.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2