Hornby 2021 - HST & Mk3 range

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
On 26/03/2021 at 17:45, MGR Hooper! said:

You literally have one person bring up the NR NMT set "now" when it has been done multiple times in the "past". The LSL BP set is a future release. Who is to say that the next release of NR NMT sets won't have the top headlight? Rather than acknowledge Hornby's effort here, a past product is brought in and used as a means to bash a company.

I guess I'm that one person.

In the past???

Do you know how long the NMT power cars have carried a top light? 

At least since 2012 late 2011. Definitely more than just "now" (edit) 

IIRC Hornby have had at least 2 releases of the NMT since then to try and replicate it.

I think that's enough time to save up for one of these :banghead:

Credit for working on the top light for the BP version. 

I wonder if they'll do the same for the catering vehicles and do the windows properly instead of just painting them over?

Edited by newbryford
late 2011 amendment
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 26/03/2021 at 12:09, MGR Hooper! said:

Let's all cry tears of joy.... After all the "bashing" Hornby received, they're now doing the top headlight on the LSL Blue Pullman

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/full-tilt

Apparently Hornby doesn't listen to feedback 

If their listening to feedback now, where do I point out that the renders for most of the mark 3 buffets advertised on the Hornby website seem to lack the central roof vents?

Possibly Correct (central vents present)

• R40035 (FGW TRFB)
  • R4989 (NR NMT)

Wrong (no central vents)

• R40044 (BR TRFB (LNER Farewell Tour))
  • R4932A (LNER)
  • R4932B (LNER)
  • R40173 (Blue Pullman TRBF)
  • R40174 (Blue Pullman TRBF)
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Rhydgaled said:

If their listening to feedback now, where do I point out that the renders for most of the mark 3 buffets advertised on the Hornby website seem to lack the central roof vents?

• R40035 (FGW TRFB)
  • R4989 (NR NMT)

Wrong (no central vents)

• R4932A (LNER)
  • R4932B (LNER)

We all know how to get in contact with Hornby. It's certainly not rocket science.

15 hours ago, Rhydgaled said:

• R40035 (FGW TRFB)
  • R4989 (NR NMT)

Wrong (no central vents)

• R4932A (LNER)
  • R4932B (LNER)

Yes it is frustrating that they do use the correct BR MK3 buffet coach tooling for original BR Blue Grey liveries and all post privitastion onwards. The 2016 40th anniversary HST power cars and MK3 rolling have the correct battery boxes and roof vents etc. I find they only balls up INTERCITY swallow and the 2014/2015 BR IC executive MK3 coaches were produced with the MK3 standard and 1st class carriage tooling therefore it was with missing with no roof vents and incorrect battery boxes etc. as the published catalogued images also show they are missing. However last year's INTERCITY swallow BR MK3 coach image was published and released without roof vents and battery boxes etc. Yet miraculously when they arrived they had at last had roof vents and correct battery boxes etc. Although the windows were not quite right. I feel we should all hand over our incorrect BR MK3 buffet coach stock to Hornby for them to add correct tooling parts. I was so annoyed they were not correct. I didn't even take mine out of the packaging once I saw they used the incorrect tooling. So I had to make to do with 3 mixed livery BR INTERCITY 125 swallow and executive livery HST trains with BR Blue Grey MK3 buffet cars from both my BR Eastern and Western region HSTs. I did try using my 40th HST BR MK3 buffet but I realised that was 1976-early 1980s and "Buffet" was re painted to "Restaurant Buffet" by the time the Executive and Swallow mixed livery trains were seen.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

We all know how to get in contact with Hornby. It's certainly not rocket science.

After almost 10 years of the NMT being fitted with a top headlight and at least two releases of it in the same period, they must be using a very slow rocket if they've only just got around to fitting it to the BP version.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

12 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Contacting them is the easy bit, getting an acknowledgement or a reply on the other hand. Stephensons Rocket as opposed to SpaceX

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, LaGrange said:

Contacting them is the easy bit, getting an acknowledgement or a reply on the other hand. Stephensons Rocket as opposed to SpaceX

In SpaceX speak.

RUD.

Reply unduly delayed.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A Hornby executive HST finished at £572 on ebay tonight. What an absolute joke. 

Why oh why will Hornby not release more Executive and Swallow liveried HSTs, that is what people want, not obscure liveries carried by one or two power cars for a few weeks. Please please Hornby, lets see some intercity liveried HSTs with sound to stop people selling their models for ridiculous money........

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

18 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Well, there is an e-mail address on the Hornby site, but is the generic Customer Service address the best place for comments to draw attention to apparent errors on yet-to-be-released models?

11 hours ago, 125_driver said:

A Hornby executive HST finished at £572 on ebay tonight. What an absolute joke. 

Why oh why will Hornby not release more Executive and Swallow liveried HSTs, that is what people want, not obscure liveries carried by one or two power cars for a few weeks. Please please Hornby, lets see some intercity liveried HSTs with sound to stop people selling their models for ridiculous money........

You'll find that EMT power cars fetch a similar price tag, why a rerun of these haven't been done I'm not sure. But there is more than just one period that has demand for reruns. Hornby haven't managed demand very well. However as a manufacturer you would always want to leave your customer wanting more so you don't end up with dead stock.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, XChris said:

You'll find that EMT power cars fetch a similar price tag, why a rerun of these haven't been done I'm not sure. But there is more than just one period that has demand for reruns. Hornby haven't managed demand very well. However as a manufacturer you would always want to leave your customer wanting more so you don't end up with dead stock.

Hornby almost seem to invite competition over quite a few of their super-detailed models and then complain where other manufacturers pick up the baton due to disinterest. I understand leaving some popular models back for future years, but while they have the tooling before it becomes too outdated you'd think they would really produce what they can from it. Things like the Class 31 has been around for the best part of 20 years and there are still major gaps in what has been produced either with headcode boxes or skinheads. Of course expected sales demand might not be enough to produce 'everything' but I cant accept that things like a 31/4 in either BR Blue or Intercity Mainline, or Dutch with headcode boxes or Railfreight Large Logo wouldn't sell.

The HST power cars aren't any different, I'd like to see the Great Western Merlin ones or Intercity Executive with correct white lettering rather than silver or First Group Barbie with the white cabsides.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, GordonC said:

The HST power cars aren't any different, I'd like to see the Great Western Merlin ones or Intercity Executive with correct white lettering rather than silver or First Group Barbie with the white cabsides.

I've found I cannot even get a sensibly priced secondhand one for a home respray. I've just resprayed a pair of Lima to make another IC Swallow duo (but have hit a wall with procurement of transfers) because there just isn't another option.

There is a gulf between Hornby's supply and the market demand, if they did another Executive pair (logically an ER/ScR pair as the first and only release thus far was a WR pair) and if they did another IC Swallow pair (logically a WR pair as the first and second pairs released were both ER/ScR) and then made their way through the early private liveries they would make a killing, even if 60% of the stock goes to the "keep it in the box" brigade. 

Next year we can be pretty certain, it will be a green and white LSL "Staycation Express" pair and 43102 as it is now, possibly packaged up with 43238 or 43274 in all-over red. Hornby are only interested in current liveries.

• Agree 1

On 04/04/2021 at 14:02, RyanN91 said:

I didn't even take mine out of the packaging once I saw they used the incorrect tooling. So I had to make to do with 3 mixed livery BR INTERCITY 125 swallow and executive livery HST trains with BR Blue Grey MK3 buffet cars from both my BR Eastern and Western region HSTs. I did try using my 40th HST BR MK3 buffet but I realised that was 1976-early 1980s and "Buffet" was re painted to "Restaurant Buffet" by the time the Executive and Swallow mixed livery trains were seen.

Take it you didn't get as far as looking through the windows to the insides of the TS vehicles in last years diabolical IC Swallow rake then! As was documented at the time it was a horlicks of a rake anyway; the numbers were right for 1990/early 1991 but that was three years before Central Door Locking was added, by which time that rake was reformed with a 404xx buffet and minus a TF.

On 05/04/2021 at 14:10, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Next year we can be pretty certain, it will be a green and white LSL "Staycation Express" pair and 43102 as it is now, possibly packaged up with 43238 or 43274 in all-over red. Hornby are only interested in current liveries.

Edit- EMR are turning 43274 out in their insipid "aubergine" livery for its final four weeks of existence so I'd like to change my prediction of Hornby's 2022 release to that boxed up with current style 43102, along with the "Staycation" LSL livery...

• RMweb Premium

So thats the colour of an Aubergine !

Actually looks not bad  in comparison to some colours on the Railway these days . What will it run with though , the old Stagecoach East Midland mk3s ?   That will surely spoil the effect 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Legend said:

So thats the colour of an Aubergine !

Actually looks not bad  in comparison to some colours on the Railway these days . What will it run with though , the old Stagecoach East Midland mk3s ?   That will surely spoil the effect 

I think it will run with the old Virgin trains east coast MK3s (Red & White) as I believe most of the ex-East Midlands Trains Stagecoach MK3s have now been scrapped.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Northmoor MPD said:

C’mon Hornby... Would make a nice power car pack with 43102 in Intercity!

Its not even been out of the building yet !!!

but i ‘m sure the purple scent of £ signs has blown down to Margate.

Thing is we dont need any more LNER coaches.... its a re-run of EMT carriages we really need.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Its not even been out of the building yet !!!

but i ‘m sure the purple scent of £ signs has blown down to Margate.

Thing is we dont need any more LNER coaches.... its a re-run of EMT carriages we really need.

There’s enough LNER Mk3s for people with power cars to run 30 coach rakes! :laugh:

A re-run of the EMT HST would be great, the prices have gone mad! 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1