Hornby 2021 - HST & Mk3 range

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, newbryford said:

DATS pack with Mk3 DVT,Mk3 and a 91? (And maybe a Railroad 90....?)

DATS

Ive seen a similar picture before, is this the rear though ?

i note the raised pantograph at the other end, before the other power car.

given 6 coaches, 3 locos, 1 other PC in the consist, thats probably one of the heavier trains a HST has pulled, would both power cars have been operable in that lot, i’m guessing not, but hence my question as the power car here has a lot of wiring strung around its nose apron.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Northmoor MPD said:

C’mon Hornby... Would make a nice power car pack with 43102 in Intercity!

CA93AA07-3659-4156-A704-80DE0526F2F6.jpeg

A1D2D8EC-151F-4AFB-8F25-68DC50AAF6AD.jpeg

Its listed with 43102 (Intercity) for today (Wednesday)

1C15 0519 Leeds - STP , 43102 leading along with

1534 1D48 to Nottingham 43274 leading

1749 1B69 to St P  43102 leading

1F70 2001 Leeds 43274 leading

usual caveats apply

Edited by adb968008

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Ive seen a similar picture before, is this the rear though ?

i note the raised pantograph at the other end, before the other power car.

given 6 coaches, 3 locos, 1 other PC in the consist, thats probably one of the heavier trains a HST has pulled, would both power cars have been operable in that lot, i’m guessing not, but hence my question as the power car here has a lot of wiring strung around its nose apron.

I dont know the answer, but I'd guess the wiring to the nose would be more some kind of camera or sensor. If it was wiring to multi-up, there would be no need to take the wire all the way to the front and it could have plugged in at the other end of the power car as normal.

17 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Its not even been out of the building yet !!!

but i ‘m sure the purple scent of £ signs has blown down to Margate.

Thing is we dont need any more LNER coaches.... its a re-run of EMT carriages we really need.

Ah, but have they done "EMR Intercity" branded, heavily weathered ex Virgin East Coast livery Mk3's yet?! The more silly liveries the real railway turns out on HSTs takes us further away from anything useful from Hornby as they continue to "keep up with the Jones's"- and 43274 is as silly as it gets as even 100% utilisation would only see it used for a maximum of 32 days before its withdrawn along with the rest of their fleet.

36 minutes ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

100% utilisation would only see it used for a maximum of 32 days before its withdrawn along with the rest of their fleet.

Depending on which diagrams it gets put on, that's ether three or four rostered passenger carrying trips a day, so between 96 and 128 in-service runs between now and retirement. 

The LNER Farewell pair managed four passenger carrying trips and the LSL set has at present managed one I think?

Going purely on service numbers, EMR's 43274 will probably do more runs in one month than the LSL set in will in five or possibly ten years. 

Taking into account service length though, the LSL set will make the most sense as it will likely run for years, second will be 43274 in EMR purple and last will be the LNER set with a total of four days running (unless the power cars are saved) .

I think statistically it makes sense for Hornby to do a 43102 / 43274 pairing, when you consider what they are pushing out this year.

Personally though what I want to see is revised Grand Central and original cluster, Valenta fitted GNER. I can live in hope.

Cheers,

Edited by 60800
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, 60800 said:

Depending on which diagrams it gets put on, that's ether three or four rostered passenger carrying trips a day, so between 96 and 128 in-service runs between now and retirement. 

The LNER Farewell pair managed four passenger carrying trips and the LSL set has at present managed one I think?

Going purely on service numbers, EMR's 43274 will probably do more runs in one month than the LSL set in will in five or possibly ten years. 

Taking into account service length though, the LSL set will make the most sense as it will likely run for years, second will be 43274 in EMR purple and last will be the LNER set with a total of four days running (unless the power cars are saved) .

I think statistically it makes sense for Hornby to do a 43102 / 43274 pairing, when you consider what they are pushing out this year.

Personally though what I want to see is revised Grand Central and original cluster, Valenta fitted GNER. I can live in hope.

Cheers,

Weekdays they do 4, weekends they do 2- so if they remain attached to the set until the last day that's about 106 runs. Let's count the Midland Pullman set as four runs each time it gets used (an ECS, outward passenger, return passenger, an ECS) it will take that a couple of years to catch up, albeit with wider route coverage.

The IC Swallow HST power cars between them would have done over 4 million runs, even the GNER ones would have done about 250,000 runs in their time!

3 minutes ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Weekdays they do 4, weekends they do 2- so if they remain attached to the set until the last day that's about 106 runs. Let's count the Midland Pullman set as four runs each time it gets used (an ECS, outward passenger, return passenger, an ECS) it will take that a couple of years to catch up, albeit with wider route coverage.

The IC Swallow HST power cars between them would have done over 4 million runs, even the GNER ones would have done about 250,000 runs in their time!

My wording encompasses passenger carrying runs only - you can add an extra two or three ECS runs per day for the EMR sets. Some Saturdays can be discounted too when they don't run at all.

I was comparing feasibility to what Hornby is releasing this year - indeed a normal livery set will eclipse these in terms of running turns.

Cheers,

Edited by 60800

2 minutes ago, 60800 said:

My wording encompasses passenger carrying runs only - you can add an extra two or three ECS runs per day for the EMR sets. Some Saturdays can be discounted too when they don't run at all.

I was comparing feasibility to what Hornby is releasing this year - indeed a normal livery set will eclipse these in terms of running turns.

Cheers,

The EMR ECS runs are so short as to be negligible, they barely go over five miles without passengers on whereas I suppose someone will defend their purchase of the Midland Pullman on the basis that it has to transit from Eastleigh or Crewe to wherever its starting from/finishing at each time! I don't disagree with you- and I don't have a problem with Hornby releasing a 43102/274 pairing provided that some little glimmer of hope is offered to those of us not modelling Leeds-St Pancras between 14/04/2021 and 15/05/2021 by the release of, for example, MML 2nd livery, any of the GWT/FGW liveries before dynamic lines and either/both of the liveries applied nationwide and carried for many years prior to privatisation!!

• Like 1

On 28/03/2021 at 16:55, Class 158 productions said:

£314 rrp is pushing it for the hst tooling.

On 04/04/2021 at 22:50, 125_driver said:

A Hornby executive HST finished at £572 on ebay tonight. What an absolute joke. 

Why oh why will Hornby not release more Executive and Swallow liveried HSTs, that is what people want, not obscure liveries carried by one or two power cars for a few weeks. 

On 05/04/2021 at 10:33, XChris said:

You'll find that EMT power cars fetch a similar price tag, why a rerun of these haven't been done I'm not sure. 

So let me get this straight - some folk think that the Hornby HST is priced too dearly, yet when they go out of stock the secondhand/reseller price goes even higher.

Now all I need to do is wait for the howls of protest from those who cancelled their LSL order, should it sell out and start appearing on the 'bay at twice the price...

14 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

So let me get this straight - some folk think that the Hornby HST is priced too dearly, yet when they go out of stock the secondhand/reseller price goes even higher.

Now all I need to do is wait for the howls of protest from those who cancelled their LSL order, should it sell out and start appearing on the 'bay at twice the price...

It's the same complaint though. They are too dear to buy (as we march confidently towards £244 for a single power car without sound/decoder) and the amount of time since they last bothered to do any of the earlier liveries and resulting scarcity means we are seeing crazy prices for an RTR power car and dummy car when they show up on eBay. It's my contention that Hornby have restricted supply to inflate the price and maintain it high, even if we are happy to respray ourselves to achieve the liveries Hornby didn't do or have long overlooked we cannot source sensibly priced donor vehicles!

Let's face it, well over half of sales of the Midland Pullman will be to "stash it away, never open the box merchants"...

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Ah, but have they done "EMR Intercity" branded, heavily weathered ex Virgin East Coast livery Mk3's yet?! The more silly liveries the real railway turns out on HSTs takes us further away from anything useful from Hornby as they continue to "keep up with the Jones's"- and 43274 is as silly as it gets as even 100% utilisation would only see it used for a maximum of 32 days before its withdrawn along with the rest of their fleet.

I’d figure repainting a full HST set in blue and grey for 3 days was a bigger waste.

But paint and special occasions is no stranger to railways...

A Midland 4-4-0 number 41101 was painted bright yellow and red for 1 railtour to Blackpool in the 1950’s... it was scrapped quickly afterwards.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, adb968008 said:

A Midland 4-4-0 number 41101 was painted bright yellow and red for 1 railtour to Blackpool in the 1950’s... it was scrapped quickly afterwards.

And I bet the other locos in the scrapyard scoffed at its “I’m so pretty” frippery, for between the buttons and behind the bows it was no better than them after all. 

Edited by truffy

• RMweb Gold

And so enters another new livery...

High Speed Hauliers.... HST power cars, being paired up to create the UK’s first double locomotive..  using European nomenclature I guess thats a  2C43  (2xClass43).

ready drag units near you..

https://railcolornews.com/2021/04/19/uk-railadventure-announces-new-uk-partnership-purchases-8-class-43-power-cars/?fbclid=IwAR2SJ3tXk4g4z3zGkS9ckM0mm8EaAprhresRyXgKJCc9GeIQ_bdlPsUubNc

We just need someone to make a unit for them to pull.

this line teases me...

With this new partnership and rebrand to “Hanson & Hall Part of the RailAdventure Group,” 

Does that mean new paint on 50008 too, its been seen in the paint shop at Eastleigh for a little while.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

The railcolor site was a fascinating read about the work of RailAdventure and how it comes to choose its locomotives.

Given Class 86 has gone, how about Class 184/9,  (43 squared)  :D

I would have thought class 86 would be on their list, it fits their “heritage” profile... Freightliners not likely to use them again.

Edited by adb968008

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any word on any discontinuing of the HST Farewell coaches? Rumor has it that Hornby has done that, but still has them on their site. Kernow doesn't have them for sale anymore (could have reaches their safe allocation limit), but still have the power car and dummy for sale. TMC still has everything for sale.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ribird said:

Is there any word on any discontinuing of the HST Farewell coaches? Rumor has it that Hornby has done that, but still has them on their site. Kernow doesn't have them for sale anymore (could have reaches their safe allocation limit), but still have the power car and dummy for sale. TMC still has everything for sale.

Saw this on Facebook, do wonder if it was just a hattons stock email that was worded incorrectly. I know kernow have sold out of a lot of the Hornby hst pre orders already, maybe they are becoming a web exclusive through Hornby? Like the staycation stuff. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Class 158 productions said:

Saw this on Facebook, do wonder if it was just a hattons stock email that was worded incorrectly. I know kernow have sold out of a lot of the Hornby hst pre orders already, maybe they are becoming a web exclusive through Hornby? Like the staycation stuff. 

Could be. Other places still have them on their site. So could be just Hattons being Hattons. 

Ah ha! Kernow does not have the Farewell coaches labeled as such, so doesn't come up in the search!

• Like 1

On 03/05/2021 at 16:33, Ribird said:

Ah ha! Kernow does not have the Farewell coaches labeled as such, so doesn't come up in the search!

Yep Kernow’s search facility can be a little ‘esoteric’. Searching for ‘Midland Pullman’ will return the upcoming Hornby HST, but not the accompanying carriages. At least they’re linked on the HST page though. 

Just had an email from Hornby, advising that the Mk3 dvts in Network Rail and Intercity swallow liveries have arrived. Hoping I can get the Intercity, as I'm on my third retailer, due to cancellations. Keeping my fingers crossed that Kernow get their full allocation. Hornby advise both are available to order direct from them!!!

• RMweb Premium
On 28/03/2021 at 18:47, newbryford said:

I

I wonder if they'll do the same for the catering vehicles and do the windows properly instead of just painting them over?

oh well - it looks like LSL/Arlington have made it easy for Hornby.......  :O

557757817_bp40802.jpg.c8626f9c9eaf68775455014e819f1d21.jpg

581190608_bptgs.jpg.af587476fbf16fe2ba80426fb037f797.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/05/2021 at 21:19, newbryford said:

oh well - it looks like LSL/Arlington have made it easy for Hornby.......  :O

557757817_bp40802.jpg.c8626f9c9eaf68775455014e819f1d21.jpg

581190608_bptgs.jpg.af587476fbf16fe2ba80426fb037f797.jpg

if they were making it easy for Hornby they'd have taken the roof vents off the buffet too

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 28/05/2021 at 20:14, Co-tr-Paul said:

Power cars now have rear windows filled in too. 

Like this. (Pic by SM)

IMG-20210612-WA0003.jpg.0c7ac0c6ccd3ca9c3c3ec62a52fd70c1.jpg

Edited by newbryford
Pic credit
  • Like 2