Hornby 2021 - HST & Mk3 range

AY Mod

On 12/06/2021 at 17:58, newbryford said:

Like this. (Pic by SM)

IMG-20210612-WA0003.jpg.0c7ac0c6ccd3ca9c3c3ec62a52fd70c1.jpg

The van space in the rear part of the power cars is now filled with a rather large Inmesol diesel generator to provide additional hotel power for the rake. Such is the power draw of the super kitchen (40802) and cocktail bar (40801) that the additional generators supply additional power for it - kitchen equipment doesn't like the fluctuations a 'normal' power car ETS can supply, as the frequencies fluctuate as the engine revs change (as does the air con systems on Mk3s). 

• Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, surfsup said:

The van space in the rear part of the power cars is now filled with a rather large Inmesol diesel generator to provide additional hotel power for the rake. Such is the power draw of the super kitchen (40802) and cocktail bar (40801) that the additional generators supply additional power for it - kitchen equipment doesn't like the fluctuations a 'normal' power car ETS can supply, as the frequencies fluctuate as the engine revs change (as does the air con systems on Mk3s). 

Can’t have the boiled eggs over done for sure…..

• Funny 3

On 14/06/2021 at 23:07, surfsup said:

And what does that weigh, because if it's over 0.8 tonnes (which it obviously will be) then its too heavy for the luggage van and they would have to go through assorted vehicle acceptance hurdles which are not easy to overcome. Also interested to see how they have wired it in, you cannot just add a diesel generator as a supplementary into the three phase ETS supply. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 17/06/2021 at 12:25, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

And what does that weigh, because if it's over 0.8 tonnes (which it obviously will be) then its too heavy for the luggage van and they would have to go through assorted vehicle acceptance hurdles which are not easy to overcome. Also interested to see how they have wired it in, you cannot just add a diesel generator as a supplementary into the three phase ETS supply. 

A quick Google suggests there's a number of 240 or 110 volt generators well under 800 kg. I read somewhere the other day that LSL have added extra jumpers to the ends of the power cars, not seen a photo though, presumably taking the catering equipment on a separate circuit to the stuff supplied by the power car ETH. I'd be interested to see first hand!

Jo

Edited by Steadfast

On 19/06/2021 at 11:19, Steadfast said:

A quick Google suggests there's a number of 240 or 110 volt generators well under 800 kg. I read somewhere the other day that LSL have added extra jumpers to the ends of the power cars, not seen a photo though, presumably taking the catering equipment on a separate circuit to the stuff supplied by the power car ETH. I'd be interested to see first hand!

Jo

Well that will do one socket, what about everything else?! I need to see first hand as well, extra jumpers would sound like the only way of doing it, and some sort of switching device so that the power car ETS can still feed the caterers if the gen set doesn't work/overheats/runs out of fuel or whatever.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Staycation express looks good too. However with prices being what they are it might be an opportunity for decal and paint suppliers as we look to do up our Railroad or Lima HSTs 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd quite like to see east coast grey with purple stripe done, and then the coaches in the silver and white livery to go with it done. I wasn't sure that the model zone special ones had the right silver? But more EMT ones would be good too!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/07/2021 at 10:54, Class 158 productions said:

With the recent price rise, the blue Pullman is looking increasingly more expensive, do we know if the tooling will have any other mods? Or is it just the headlight. 

The Blue Pullman HST set running today at Chester Cathedral… passes the Class 25 hauled crane train. 

And some photos also taken today at Chester Cathedral…

626FD20F-E355-4F41-83F8-A949FA689BE1.jpeg.84ab899fe1f81d250a7961c5fce2df44.jpeg

877E7D20-55A7-4209-8CF8-AC886422E81F.jpeg.6447b7f4c8da899b7e8b0a83697ba38e.jpeg

0AF2C667-A435-49E6-BCD4-CE2C1E7BE1CA.jpeg.e7f1b4b2cd373ce108390f903ac79311.jpeg

5FFE61C3-E524-4E2F-B2A6-656965007A27.jpeg.a2a76799ab027282bd12205d0d1ec239.jpeg

30D96B61-17AA-4387-9955-294EAC5AF9ED.jpeg.06e9eff7161ab6a20e62d0d6e144456c.jpeg

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Photos added…
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

The Blue Pullman HST set running today at Chester Cathedral… passes the Class 25 hauled crane train. 

And some photos also taken today at Chester Cathedral…

626FD20F-E355-4F41-83F8-A949FA689BE1.jpeg.84ab899fe1f81d250a7961c5fce2df44.jpeg

877E7D20-55A7-4209-8CF8-AC886422E81F.jpeg.6447b7f4c8da899b7e8b0a83697ba38e.jpeg

0AF2C667-A435-49E6-BCD4-CE2C1E7BE1CA.jpeg.e7f1b4b2cd373ce108390f903ac79311.jpeg

5FFE61C3-E524-4E2F-B2A6-656965007A27.jpeg.a2a76799ab027282bd12205d0d1ec239.jpeg

30D96B61-17AA-4387-9955-294EAC5AF9ED.jpeg.06e9eff7161ab6a20e62d0d6e144456c.jpeg

Just to clarify, that one is a modified set. It’s not the official Hornby release one. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, GBRf66701 said:

Just picked up the last run LNER hst mk3 coaches and it appears to have a painted blue line down the centre of the coach.

20210902_170453.jpg

Dare I say maybe they over painted some not so good sellers already at the factory?

Edited by boxbrownie

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Dare I say maybe they over painted some not so good sellers already at the factory?

It's a possibility. The ground level door lock appears to be green which I don't think these had. Shame really. Looks pretty awful. Maybe another round of re bodies from Hornby?  And there has been a price increase on these too.

Edited by GBRf66701

5 hours ago, GBRf66701 said:

Just picked up the last run LNER hst mk3 coaches and it appears to have a painted blue line down the centre of the coach.

20210902_170453.jpg

It looks like it could be a misplaced tampo print, which has then been repainted/printed over.  Although its its present on all the shells then it could be mould/tool issue?  The raised line continues in the handrail recess and over the doors.

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, GBRf66701 said:

It's a possibility. The ground level door lock appears to be green which I don't think these had. Shame really. Looks pretty awful. Maybe another round of re bodies from Hornby?  And there has been a price increase on these too.

Seems like they have a real problem with blue at the moment.........

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Class 158 productions said:

The door locking lights mean that these can’t be used for a 70/80s blue grey set I presume? Also odd with the line. 

Correct. I have given up on Hornby doing a full set of HST MK3s for the 70/80s period to a modern standard and without the mistake of incorrect roof on the buffet, mismatched TGS etc.

At least they have retooled the more modern versions but from the artwork for this set, the buffet roof looks to be wrong again. I have not seen the model itself however.

Edited by BR Blue
  • Like 2

All these differences with the rolling stock could be down to one thing.

The Farewell Tour set is based on the LNER putting together a train that ( in livery only), replicates an iconic 70's 80's set.

The problem is.... all the rolling stock from that era has had to be updated to new safety standards (including door locking lights & possibly the low level

door locks). It was impossible (therefore) to exactly replicate a full train from that era with what they had to hand & what they presented was a pastiche of a train from that era ( which is still good ).

Since Hornby chose to represent this special train as run over the four days. To replace the coaches with re-tooled 70's-80's stock would have been incorrect as this is not what was run. I suspect this is why the coaches look wrong for the era represented, where (in fact) they are probably correct to type, as the coaches would have had several coats of differing liveries put on them over the years of service. Also, i doubt the LNER would have taken the stock back to bare metal for a four day special, as this would have been prohibitively expensive.

Therefore, Hornby have just replicated the train as seen for the tour,(warts & all).

I am NOT a train historian by any stretch of the imagination, just an ex railwayman trying to capture a bit of history by buying & running model trains to entertain myself, so (for me) i don't count rivets, but do like to run good representations of the models i buy.

My main worry is that in a few short years, the prices have risen to the point that making any purchase requires a lot of financial thinking. If this keeps up,

model railways as a hobby will become an elitetest pastime for the well off, or the super model makers who make their own. The average person who just wants to (play trains) & enjoy the hobby, will be locked out & this would be a great shame for all.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Timsouth47 said:

...as the coaches would have had several coats of differing liveries put on them over the years of service. Also, i doubt the LNER would have taken the stock back to bare metal for a four day special, as this would have been prohibitively expensive.

Therefore, Hornby have just replicated the train as seen for the tour,(warts & all).

I think you need to take a close look at photo's of the real train and the photo of the Hornby coach above.

7 hours ago, Timsouth47 said:

My main worry is that in a few short years, the prices have risen to the point that making any purchase requires a lot of financial thinking. If this keeps up,

model railways as a hobby will become an elitetest pastime for the well off, or the super model makers who make their own. The average person who just wants to (play trains) & enjoy the hobby, will be locked out & this would be a great shame for all.

I've been hearing that for 40 years.   You do realise that there is a thriving 2nd hand market, you don't need to buy brand new, and you don't have to buy everything thats released

• Like 1
  • Agree 3