Hornby 2021 - HST & Mk3 range

AY Mod

On 26/12/2021 at 22:30, surfsup said:

TI'm not sure what seems to be going on with the luggage van door window - the first version had the frame printed in silver, subsequent batches had them missing, now they appear to have printed the frame on the window in the same blue as the rest of the PC. Oh well, at least they're on their way now! 

The window is very odd - the livery is quite plain so the silver surround on the prototype really does stand out quite a bit. So indeed strange that a blue outline has been painted on the model, makes you wonder how it came about!

• Like 1

Looks like it’s been missed at the factory regards the sliver paint around the guards window. Does not look right. How these simple things can be missed I do not know. Hornbys QC seriously needs to question either on build quality or paint finish.

• Agree 4

18 hours ago, Ribird said:

If anyone else has missed it, the Farewell HST and FGW power car pack is now ₤363 direct from Hornby. And the Midland Pullman is ₤382. There has been another 10% across all upcoming products. 

The price I paid for those FGW power cars was the equivalent of 250GBP. So no price increase for us down under. I know Australia is closer than the UK for shipping but it really feel's like Hornby are taking there UK modellers for a ride now....

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

So I've just had an email from Hornby saying that the LNER Farewell Tour power car pack is in stock with them. Apparently, the train pack was also recently featured on "This Morning". Did anyone see it? I wonder what Holly and Phil thought about the accuracy of the shade of blue used, and what about the overspray between the grey and the blue??? :D

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, scouse889 said:

So I've just had an email from Hornby saying that the LNER Farewell Tour power car pack is in stock with them. Apparently, the train pack was also recently featured on "This Morning". Did anyone see it? I wonder what Holly and Phil thought about the accuracy of the shade of blue used, and what about the overspray between the grey and the blue??? :D

Did they comment on the price? :D

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, scouse889 said:

So now we have a choice of Phil /Holly or Sams Trains….for well researched, quality reviews.

• Funny 2

On 03/01/2022 at 15:29, Ribird said:

If anyone else has missed it, the Farewell HST and FGW power car pack is now ₤363 direct from Hornby. And the Midland Pullman is ₤382. There has been another 10% across all upcoming products. 

Plus both LNER and FGW now showing as in stock with Hornby (as of yesterday). Let's hope I can find a spare £726 down the back of the sofa!

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Global said:

I think I’d take Phil & Holly over that other annoying t…! 

that's a bit harsh on Sam, Phil and Holly are so far up their own ar.........

To bring it back on topic, the price of the power cars is eye watering.....i have  a pullman set on order and i'm seriously considering cancelling it, i just can't afford that, along with price raises on the 91 and APT, something has to give.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Its only 2 years ago I thought £261 for my Scotrail Inter -7-City power cars  was high !   Sure glad I got them and the original yellow/ blue ones when introduced . 

Simon Kohler going on that hes heard that theres competition coming and they need to improve their offering...........no I think you have to improve your price . This level gives chances to folk with a different business model and overhead structure to come in and undercut you .  I think you are about to price yourself out the market . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

On 02/01/2022 at 15:40, Walkes07 said:

Looks like it’s been missed at the factory regards the sliver paint around the guards window. Does not look right. How these simple things can be missed I do not know. Hornbys QC seriously needs to question either on build quality or paint finish.

It's amazing how the omission of such small details really alters the look of a model. It was the same with the second release of the NMT power cars, where the front grille was painted yellow instead of black - it really made the power cars look wrong. A shame because this is the only power car pack that Hornby have ever produced which contains a standard power car alongside one of the ex-DVT power cars (ever hopeful we might get such a pack in VT livery with a matching rake of 7 coaches to make an authentic XC set - standard class in the buffet car, please). I realize that with a steady hand and a small paintbrush it might be considered easy by some to correct such mistakes but I very much feel that these things, which are quite obvious if you compare to a picture of the prototype, should be right out of the box, especially given the prices that manufacturers are charging for their models these days (not necessarily a gripe, more a statement of fact - over £300 for a model is an awful lot of money to a lot of people). Also, I feel that generally accepting such errors becomes a slippery slope to go down - where do you draw the line? Look at the recent IC DVT for example, for £75 you then have to paint the inside of the cab black to stop the light bleed, paint the windscreens black to match the prototype, and file the mould line down from the roof (all flaws identified by others) to make the model "right". This seems like quite a long list of "minor" corrections to me for something that is sold as a 'ready to run' model, and QC really should be picking these things up in the manufacturing process. Unfortunately there is an ever-growing list of models I haven't bought due to issues with decoration and/or finish (including those NMT power cars and IC DVT, both of which I was looking forward to at the time).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, scouse889 said:

Plus both LNER and FGW now showing as in stock with Hornby (as of yesterday). Let's hope I can find a spare £726 down the back of the sofa!

Just in time.. according to reports elsewhere FGW blue liveried 43053/70/79 are about to be chopped next week.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Just in time.. according to reports elsewhere FGW blue liveried 43053/70/79 are about to be chopped next week.

Sad to see these trains go. The HSTs never used to venture up to Liverpool as a rule (any XC services were handled by 86s and 47s) but we used to go on holiday to North Wales quite regularly when I was younger and seeing an HST set on the Holyhead-London Euston services passing through Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch was always exciting! Happy times. :D

24 minutes ago, scouse889 said:

It's amazing how the omission of such small details really alters the look of a model. It was the same with the second release of the NMT power cars, where the front grille was painted yellow instead of black - it really made the power cars look wrong. A shame because this is the only power car pack that Hornby have ever produced which contains a standard power car alongside one of the ex-DVT power cars (ever hopeful we might get such a pack in VT livery with a matching rake of 7 coaches to make an authentic XC set - standard class in the buffet car, please). I realize that with a steady hand and a small paintbrush it might be considered easy by some to correct such mistakes but I very much feel that these things, which are quite obvious if you compare to a picture of the prototype, should be right out of the box, especially given the prices that manufacturers are charging for their models these days (not necessarily a gripe, more a statement of fact - over £300 for a model is an awful lot of money to a lot of people). Also, I feel that generally accepting such errors becomes a slippery slope to go down - where do you draw the line? Look at the recent IC DVT for example, for £75 you then have to paint the inside of the cab black to stop the light bleed, paint the windscreens black to match the prototype, and file the mould line down from the roof (all flaws identified by others) to make the model "right". This seems like quite a long list of "minor" corrections to me for something that is sold as a 'ready to run' model, and QC really should be picking these things up in the manufacturing process. Unfortunately there is an ever-growing list of models I haven't bought due to issues with decoration and/or finish (including those NMT power cars and IC DVT, both of which I was looking forward to at the time).

Well....yes, but if we take the DVT, it is 'ready-to-run', it's just that certain details aren't correct. Even the light bleed is just a 'thing'. Now I'm not saying these are fine or of no consequence but they don't make the item unusable for most people. I fully believe that if the quality and the price don't work for someone, they shouldn't buy it - and if there are enough 'refuseniks' the market will dictate what is acceptable. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Legend said:

Its only 2 years ago I thought £261 for my Scotrail Inter -7-City power cars  was high ! 

Me too.   I bought the new spec non-powered Scotrail Mk 3 coaches, but I run them between a 1980s blue and yellow Class 43 power and dummy.    For the limited running the HST will have on my small layout the cost of new power cars could not be justified.

1 hour ago, jonnyuk said:

that's a bit harsh on Sam, Phil and Holly are so far up their own ar.........

To bring it back on topic, the price of the power cars is eye watering.....i have  a pullman set on order and i'm seriously considering cancelling it, i just can't afford that, along with price raises on the 91 and APT, something has to give.

But they do at least know how to enjoy themselves! I don’t actually watch this morning (but will admit to occasionally watching the short videos when they lose it!) but I’ve watched about 5 mins of Sam and found it so dreary - I’d imagine having Long Covid is less energy sapping than sitting through his videos! 

As you say though, back on topic and I think I agree the prices are eye watering and, although not necessarily about affordability for me as I’m generally lucky enough to be able to buy what I like, I do feel with Hornby that it is not value for money as their models are pretty basic (dcc wise at least) in comparison to competitors. 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, scouse889 said:

I visited the Hornby site after receiving the email with the intention of ordering the farewell LNER pack (as I have been miles on the ECML in the cabs, and TBH they are my favourite recent Locos) but I really didn’t realise until there and it struck me I am effectively buying Loco and a coach for that money I didn’t push the button.

I’d buy two Locos for that but……

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I visited the Hornby site after receiving the email with the intention of ordering the farewell LNER pack (as I have been miles on the ECML in the cabs, and TBH they are my favourite recent Locos) but I really didn’t realise until there and it struck me I am effectively buying Loco and a coach for that money I didn’t push the button.

I’d buy two Locos for that but……

At the rate Hornby's price increases are going, I'm sure Porterbrook would happily sell you a few of theirs for less. Only another couple of thousand before they hit the prices Angel Trains are charging per PC! 

• Funny 7

On 04/01/2022 at 01:50, Daniel A said:

The price I paid for those FGW power cars was the equivalent of 250GBP. So no price increase for us down under. I know Australia is closer than the UK for shipping but it really feel's like Hornby are taking there UK modellers for a ride now....

Indeed, a brand new pair of these from a seller in Australia is still available on eBay for £260.91 + £15.85 P&P to the UK, or direct from the Hornby website at £362.99 (with free post as the order is over £50!!). Hmmm.....

4 minutes ago, scouse889 said:

Indeed, a brand new pair of these from a seller in Australia is still available on eBay for £260.91 + £15.85 P&P to the UK, or direct from the Hornby website at £362.99 (with free post as the order is over £50!!). Hmmm.....

However, getting one from Australia would incur over £50 in UK VAT on import plus collection fee; and the dealer price based on new Hornby list price will be around £326. Death and taxes, eh?

• Funny 1

14 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

However, getting one from Australia would incur over £50 in UK VAT on import plus collection fee; and the dealer price based on new Hornby list price will be around £326. Death and taxes, eh?

Yes, I did wonder what the associated import costs would be. Oh well, nothing for it other than back to work!

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, scouse889 said:

Yes, I did wonder what the associated import costs would be. Oh well, nothing for it other than back to work!

Or just wait until another manufacturer brings out a set that is actually worth the money, then they can have my £350

We are well used to waiting in this hobby ;)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Or just wait until another manufacturer brings out a set that is actually worth the money, then they can have my £350

We are well used to waiting in this hobby ;)

Indeed - on both counts! I would also add "and is a darker shade of blue" to that. From reading posts from others in various threads, I think the general consensus is that the blue used on the Hornby model is far too light and has a purple tint to it - and I would certainly agree with this. I used to commute on a FGW HST every day and the prototypes were a deep glossy blue, which the colour and finish of the Hornby models has never really captured for me.

• Like 1

Just seen some photos on Instagram on off the LNER Farewell power-cars. Extremely disappointing. Wonky printing, fuzzy borders, lining not fully attached. The silver around the lights looks very poor, hopefully just a one off.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYd0lZhogxD/?utm_medium=copy_link

This after 2 price rises and some delays, really worrying if Hornby want to do more BR Blue examples. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1