Hornby 2021 - P2 new tooling

AY Mod

• Moderators

The London and North Eastern Railway (LNER) Edinburgh to Aberdeen route had steep gradients and tight curves and the express passenger service was usually worked by a double header of two small engines. To overcome this situation, Nigel Gresley, Chief Mechanical Engineer (CME) of the LNER began designing a new locomotive at the LNER Doncaster Works in 1932. The 2-8-2 configured locomotive was given the classification P2 and had four driving axles for greater adhesion, an A3 type boiler and a Kylchap type blastpipe/chimney system.

A total of six of the Class were built. As the first two were returned to Doncaster for repairs they were fitted with streamlined fronts similar to the A4 Pacifics. The last four to be built were outshopped with streamlined fronts. By 1944 the whole Class had been withdrawn.

The 'A1 Trust', builders of the A1 locomotive 'Tornado', are currently in the process of building a continuation of the P2 class; 2007 ‘Prince of Wales’. Whilst this locomotive will be based off of 2001 ‘Cock o’ the North’, 2007 will incorporate some changes such as sharing a boiler design with A1 ‘Tornado’ and incorporating an improved pony truck design.

Slide214.JPG

2002 ‘Earl Marischal’ was the second P2 to be constructed and differed from its predecessor in a few key ways. No. 2002 was fitted with more conventional Walschaerts/Gresley valve gear which changed the locomotive’s characteristics substantially necessitating the instillation of large smoke deflectors, whilst the original front of the casing had its leading edge cut back 12”. ‘Earl Marischal’ entered traffic in October 1934 and soon began working Doncaster to Kings Cross trains before being transferred to Scotland in June 1935. It was later overhauled and streamlined to match the later members of the P2 class before being withdrawn from traffic and rebuilt as a Pacific locomotive in June 1944 having completed 360,907 miles as a 2-8-2 type locomotive.

Slide215.JPG

Unlike its predecessors, 2003 ‘Lord President’ started life as a streamlined locomotive, borrowing from the design used on Gresley’s A4 locomotives, although this streamlining only applied to the front of the locomotive and did not continue past the smokebox and cylinders in a bid to ease access for maintenance. The locomotive was allocated to the Haymarket Shed before being transferred to Dundee in September 1936 where it stayed until October 1942. No. 2003 was the last P2 to be rebuilt as an A2/2. The engine entered the works in September 1944 and rebuilding was completed in December.

Slide216.JPG

• Like 8

• AY Mod pinned this topic
  • RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Is it confirmed this will be a full detailed model (and with proper chassis with bearings) and tender pickups?

Will the roller-bearing detail of on the tender and cartazzi on 2007 be reprasented

I think Simon Kohler emphasized that in the Hornby presentation , along the lines of this is not the Railroad model but completely new . 

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Is it confirmed this will be a full detailed model (and with proper chassis with bearings) and tender pickups?

Will the roller-bearing detail of on the tender and cartazzi on 2007 be reprasented

Simon said 2007 will be totally accurate. 

I built a LNER Streamlined P2 (2003 Lord President) from a Gr King Resin kit, very happy with it, this is an older photo as the return crank is now fitted. But I am also happy to see this being produced, so I will probably find myself owning 2 Streamlined P2's of the same name. Unless I changed the name ;)

I look forward to seeing more progress with this throughout the year, expected next year too! Will be worth the wait :)

IMG_2634.JPG

• Like 5

On 05/01/2021 at 15:51, MGR Hooper! said:

Never in my wildest dreams did I think they'll re-tool the LNER P2. I expected to see a Railroad spec Bugatti nose P2. But definitely not a re-tooled set.

Dont think its a retool. Really its a changed top with the chassis able to do both versions needed as the motion on them is the same. I can see me going for a number of the Lord President P2s which will be entering the paintshop as chance allows... brace yourself for:

60601 Thane of Cawdor
60602 Saint Andrew
60603 Duke of Lennox
60604 Young Pretender / Bonnie Prince Charlie

Edited by The Black Hat
Named changed.
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Dont think its a retool. Really its a changed top with the chassis able to do both versions needed as the motion on them is the same. I can see me going for a number of the Lord President P2s which will be entering the paintshop as chance allows... brace yourself for:

60601 Thane of Cawdor
60602 Arthurs Seat
60603 Duke of Lennox
60604 Glenfinnan 

Simon said in the Signal Box episode it was completely brand new tooling, nothing carried over from the old model. Chances are that will end up in the Railroad range eventually 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

I can see me going for a number of the Lord President P2s which will be entering the paintshop as chance allows... brace yourself for:

60601 Thane of Cawdor
60602 Arthurs Seat
60603 Duke of Lennox
60604 Glenfinnan 

Nice!  So then; there were ten P2s and only six came under Thompson's gaze. The remainder survived to become absolute legends. ;)

Actually, I have noticed a few P2s modelled in B R colours over the years and wonder if there would be any takers for "what if" names / liveries direct from Hornby as with the W1.

• Like 2

P2 no. 2002 Earl Marischal was by all accounts a better locomotive than 2001 due to it's Walschaerts valve gear. The outer smoke deflectors were a feature for almost it's entire existence until rebuilding, Hornby would be missing a trick not to include this feature to make for a more distinctive locomotive instead of something too similar to 2001. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

60601 Thane of Cawdor
60602 Arthurs Seat
60603 Duke of Lennox
60604 Glenfinnan 

Any of those names beats 'Prince of Wales', where's the Scottish connection there?

Glenn

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Roy P said:

Nice!  So then; there were ten P2s and only six came under Thompson's gaze. The remainder survived to become absolute legends. ;)

Actually, I have noticed a few P2s modelled in B R colours over the years and wonder if there would be any takers for "what if" names / liveries direct from Hornby as with the W1.

:offtopic: More a case of the New North Eastern Railway company decided to do some for its operations with new build locomotives. I have a track record in doing these so the engines colour schemes will match the others in the fleet. In fact some names here are designed to match others in the collection. 

But I have noticed that Hornby have done some fictitious liveries for the W1 model and release so don't doubt that these ideas might move across onto the P2/2 as well... 

Its been obvious that the P2/2 etc was going to be coming at some point. I know others have said that its new tooling but it is clear that parts of the other model will be used. I don't doubt that this will be popular, but know that mine will end up being something just that little bit different. 

• RMweb Gold

This is good news and a possible sign that Hornby and Simon are trying to erase the sins of the past - the Design-Clever era, foisted on them because of what happened to Sanda Kan.

It also makes sense, now that the rebuilt 4-6-2's versions of the P2 are on their way.

Plus gives hope to those GWR, SR & BR modellers who got short changed and disappointed by the Design Clever offerings (GWR Heavy Tanks & Star Class, SR EMU's & the DofG)

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Round of applause 1

I'll have to try and find my P2 book but it would some of the P2s have got painted into wartime black before their conversion?  At best, ?, they'd have got extremely grubby and 'heavily weathered' under wartime cleaning regimes offering scope for an additional livery or two for Hornby.  I, too, like the idea of a fictional P2 livery with valence fully removed in BR lined green or possibly even express passenger blue!

1 hour ago, Clearwater said:

I'll have to try and find my P2 book but it would some of the P2s have got painted into wartime black before their conversion?  At best, ?, they'd have got extremely grubby and 'heavily weathered' under wartime cleaning regimes offering scope for an additional livery or two for Hornby.  I, too, like the idea of a fictional P2 livery with valence fully removed in BR lined green or possibly even express passenger blue!

Give me chance I haven't got the models yet... 

Have no doubt that others will try too, but to be honest Hornbys model of it in LNER will be very impressive. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1