Hornby 2021 - P2 new tooling

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, mattingleycustom said:

Any of those names beats 'Prince of Wales', where's the Scottish connection there?

Glenn

Quite possibly something to do with The Prince of Wales other title of Duke of Rothesay. I seem to recall them saying something about casting nameplates for that as well so it can run under that name when in Scotland. 

On 05/01/2021 at 13:06, TomScrut said:

Does anyone know if this will have firebox flicker fitted? One would hope so with a brand new tooling £200+ RRP model.

2007 is ordered anyway, it was one of those I knew if they were doing I was having!

I can't see any reference to firebox flicker on the P2 and the models that do like the Princess and updated A1 models have it noted as having flicker. Could of course have been missed off. Hopefully when more details arrive through engine shed we'll find out

• Like 1

I've pre-ordered a 2007 and it'll be interesting to see comparisons with 2002 given how many differences between them (and indeed with all 6 P2's as I don't think any of the 6 P2's were the same). I already have the fully decorated Design Clever 2001 so will be interesting to see the upgrade with 2002 and 2007. 

With Hornby now boasting the A4, both versions of both the P2 and W1 I wonder, could we eventually see the 2 B17's East Anglian and City of London complete the LNER Streamlined range in 00 scale?

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Dan Hill said:

I've pre-ordered a 2007 and it'll be interesting to see comparisons with 2002 given how many differences between them (and indeed with all 6 P2's as I don't think any of the 6 P2's were the same). I already have the fully decorated Design Clever 2001 so will be interesting to see the upgrade with 2002 and 2007. 

With Hornby now boasting the A4, both versions of both the P2 and W1 I wonder, could we eventually see the 2 B17's East Anglian and City of London complete the LNER Streamlined range in 00 scale?

The B17 streamlining was only for show wasnt it? None of the internal streamlining happened as on the A4’s did it?

• Agree 1

Wonderful move by Hornby! I think I shall be doing my best to stretch to all three. It helps that the rebuilds aren’t going to be available in LNER green yet. Perhaps Hornby thought that it would take sales away from the BR green ones, which haven’t appeared yet. Perhaps next year. I wonder if anyone is thinking about an A2/1.

These once again look absolutely superb!!

2007 and 2003 pre-ordered for me ... hopefully it'll be a Merry Christmas 2021, but probably after Chinese New Year 2022 ... never know, might be wrong.

Would be nice to have a 2001 CotN in preparation for the possible new build ... is that still in progress or indefinitely mothballed?

2007 looks superb ... both do, hence my pre-order.

Al.

11 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

The B17 streamlining was only for show wasnt it? None of the internal streamlining happened as on the A4’s did it?

As understand it you are correct, it was just for show and made no difference to the performance of both locomotives (there is an old LNER publicity poster which showed one on the East Anglian I think along with the main streamlined services such as the Coronation, Silver Jubilee and West Riding Limited). I think they did remain in this condition until just after nationalisation so would have a couple of livery options if they did make one.

On 05/01/2021 at 18:21, Roy P said:

Nice!  So then; there were ten P2s and only six came under Thompson's gaze. The remainder survived to become absolute legends. ;)

Actually, I have noticed a few P2s modelled in B R colours over the years and wonder if there would be any takers for "what if" names / liveries direct from Hornby as with the W1.

There were six LNER P2 Class 2-8-2 locos numbered 2001 to 2006 which is why Price of Wales is the next in sequence as 2007

The six were later rebuilt in to Class A2/2 4-6-2 locos but they kept their names and the numbers changed from 2001 - 2006 to 60501 - 60506

But there were only 6

Peter

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Peter749 said:

There were six LNER P2 Class 2-8-2 locos numbered 2001 to 2006 which is why Price of Wales is the next in sequence as 2007

The six were later rebuilt in to Class A2/2 4-6-2 locos but they kept their names and the numbers changed from 2001 - 2006 to 60501 - 60506

But there were only 6

Peter

Thank you Peter but I am well aware of that. I was in fact responding to Black Hats idea of creating four "extra" P2s with fictional names, numbers and liveries. And why not in light of the "extra" liveries being offered by Hornby on the W1. I am sure there are stranger things in existence on some layouts. One of these days I will finish my DP3......yes I Know!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Wonderful move by Hornby! I think I shall be doing my best to stretch to all three. It helps that the rebuilds aren’t going to be available in LNER green yet. Perhaps Hornby thought that it would take sales away from the BR green ones, which haven’t appeared yet. Perhaps next year. I wonder if anyone is thinking about an A2/1.

None of the current A2/2 are suitable for LNER , they would require new bodyshells. No doubt if the BR versions sell well they will come in due course. The A2/1 are even more complicated detail wise.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, micklner said:

None of the current A2/2 are suitable for LNER , they would require new bodyshells. No doubt if the BR versions sell well they will come in due course. The A2/1 are even more complicated detail wise.

That’s interesting. I should do more reading. What Hornby is doing at the moment is rather incredible in a creditable way. 2007 Prince of Wales is going to be produced to fit the current loading gauge; 2002 Earl Marischal and 2003 Lord President are different and from each other. It is entirely possible that Hornby would produce that different bodyshell.

As for the A2/1, I don’t doubt that it is a different beast. Real locomotives could be chopped and changed using different parts in a way models cannot be. (Something which seems to escape the more enthusiastic of us.) It’s therefore not much use saying that Bachmann could use the V2 as a starting point as Thompson did. On the other hand, Bachmann has produced the Peppercorn A1s and A2s and might want to fight its corner by filling the gap. However, it doesn’t seem to be the way Bachmann operates these days. On the other hand, Hornby is undergoing something of a renaissance and is churning out mind-boggling stuff. I’m quite sure that Mr. Kohler is perfectly aware that the A2/1 is the only Post-Gresley LNER Pacific not produced or announced*.

*RTR 00, for the avoidance of doubt.

• Like 1

I'm really please that Earl Marischal is being produced, and have ordered one to go with my Cock o' The North.

I've also noted that 2001 had its Lentz gear removed in 1939, this being replaced by Walschaerts gear, so that's another option - 2001 with Walschaerts gear.

Really looking forward to these, and the Thompson A2/3s!

Richard.

• Agree 1

The P2s were built specifically for the Edinburgh to Aberdeen route to overcome the need for double heading.

After they were withdrawn and rebuilt by Thompson what happened on the Edinburgh to Aberdeen route? Did they go back to double heading?

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Frond said:

The P2s were built specifically for the Edinburgh to Aberdeen route to overcome the need for double heading.

After they were withdrawn and rebuilt by Thompson what happened on the Edinburgh to Aberdeen route? Did they go back to double heading?

No!

The Pacifics at Haymarket, the two at Dundee Tay Bridge and the three at Aberdeen Ferryhill were successfully used.

Thank you for your replies, I feel that I should know this stuff but I don't.

However if the pacifics  were successful on the route it makes me wonder why the P2s were built in the first place as the A1/A3s pre date them.

10 minutes ago, Frond said:

However if the pacifics  were successful on the route it makes me wonder why the P2s were built in the first place as the A1/A3s pre date them.

If a heavy train didn't have a P2 available for it then it had to be split into two portions- double-heading of Pacifics was VERY rare, if not banned.  Certainly two Pacifics couldn't double-head over the Forth or Tay bridges, and I don't know if ANY pilot was allowed at all.

A1s were a sight less powerful and drove from the wrong side of the cab - not changed until 1954 or thereabouts, ie well after their rebuilding as A3s.  These were a long way from popular with Scottish enginemen, see below.

LEFT HAND DRIVE A3s were scarce, and still not as powerful as the P2s by some margin.  At the time the P2 was conceived the A3s were the best Pacifics available- the solution of Peppercorn A2s came over 10 years later.

As an aside the reason for the mass exchange of A3s between the Scottish region and the English areas (that took legends like PAPYRUS, HUMORIST and SPEARMINT to scottish sheds was that enginemen got to the stage of threatening to blacklist right-hand drive engines, which were promptly swapped to put left-hand drive engines in Scotland.

Les 

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Frond said:

Yes but between the P2s being built and then being rebuilt a lot happened with Pacifics. It went from Gresley A3, to A4, to the Thompson ones. As I understand it the Thompson and Peppercorn locos were more powerful, and on top of that the A2s had smaller driving wheels than the A1s, A3s and A4s making them better suited to pulling heavier trains up hills at lower speeds.

Other than the A2/1s all the Thomson and Peppercorn A2s were rated at 8P7F, whereas the Pacifics with larger driving wheels (A1, A3 and A4) were either 7P6F or 8P6F.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's a few CAD images on the latest Engine Shed showing 2002. It appears they are doing it with the extra set of deflectors. This seems like a better choice as it distinguishes it from 2001/7 more than the valve gear and the loco spent more time with the deflectors than without but I think the deflectors ruin the look of the engine so, whereas I had been tempted by 2002 before, I think I'll give it a miss.