Hornby 2021 - P2 new tooling

AY Mod

1 hour ago, Ade the Pianist 4468 said:

It looks like they've repeated the error from 2001 with the smokebox door hinge running parallel with the plane of the smokebox front, rather than vertically. Hopefully this gets corrected while they're still at the CAD stage.

I suggest that you actually get in touch with Hornby with your feedback rather than post here as it would do little or nothing to improve the model. 

You can either email Simon Kohler directly or get in touch with the team that writes the TES blog who are as I am led to believe the R&D team. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

32 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

I suggest that you actually get in touch with Hornby with your feedback rather than post here as it would do little or nothing to improve the model. 

You can either email Simon Kohler directly or get in touch with the team that writes the TES blog who are as I am led to believe the R&D team. 

They responded already, apparently the issue has been identified and fixed/will be fixed soon.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

P2 whistle types:

I understand that 2001 was equipped with a chime whistle similar to that used on the later A4 class locomotives. In connection with the choice of sound software, to eventually be selected for Hornby’s forthcoming additional P2s,  I wonder if any forum contributors can advise whether chime or more conventional whistle types were fitted to P2 numbers 2002 and 2003?

Look forward to any inputs.....

Martin

3 hours ago, Martin-C said:

P2 whistle types:

I understand that 2001 was equipped with a chime whistle similar to that used on the later A4 class locomotives. In connection with the choice of sound software, to eventually be selected for Hornby’s forthcoming additional P2s,  I wonder if any forum contributors can advise whether chime or more conventional whistle types were fitted to P2 numbers 2002 and 2003?

Look forward to any inputs.....

Martin

According to the Green Book, they all were fitted with chime whistles but about August 1942 they were replaced with standard single-note LNER whistles because it was “considered that these chime whistles could possibly be confused with air raid sirens”.

• Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, No Decorum said:

According to the Green Book, they all were fitted with chime whistles but about August 1942 they were replaced with standard single-note LNER whistles because it was “considered that these chime whistles could possibly be confused with air raid sirens”.

Many thanks for the info. No Decorum. I guess this also indicates that Mr Thompson’s re-builds (specifically Thane of Fife) almost certainly continued to use the standard single tone LNER whistle. (Hornby's imminent A2/2 release hopefully being a more immediate application of some appropriate decoder sound software.)

• AY Mod unpinned this topic
On 01/02/2021 at 08:52, Martin-C said:

Many thanks for the info. No Decorum. I guess this also indicates that Mr Thompson’s re-builds (specifically Thane of Fife) almost certainly continued to use the standard single tone LNER whistle. (Hornby's imminent A2/2 release hopefully being a more immediate application of some appropriate decoder sound software.)

When the chime whistles were removed, they weren’t stored, so that after the war, new ones (which sounded different) had to be made. I can’t find anything specific on the subject but I have a dim recollection that only the W1 and the A4s had them refitted. If I had to choose on the balance of probabilities, I’d say that the rebuilds retained standard LNER whistles. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, DonnyRailMan said:

Will the new Hornby P2 come with a 5 pole motor and not the CRAP 3 pole motor as Cock O The North had.

All of my P2s now have the 5 pole fitted ,three of them to be renamed and none will be P, O , W.

5 pole motor fitted as standard according to Hornby.

The 3 pole seems to be confined to the Terrier, the RH 48DS, some Railroad models and other small locomotives.

9 hours ago, DonnyRailMan said:

Will the new Hornby P2 come with a 5 pole motor and not the CRAP 3 pole motor as Cock O The North had.

All of my P2s now have the 5 pole fitted ,three of them to be renamed and none will be P, O , W.

5-pole motors are the norm now (unless it's a smaller loco where space is at a premium). 3-pole motors are a thing of the past i.e. design-clever era

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

5-pole motors are the norm now (unless it's a smaller loco where space is at a premium). 3-pole motors are a thing of the past i.e. design-clever era

I don’t think that 3-pole motors are necessarily a bad thing, although the current 5-pole skew-wound motors Hornby uses are superb. DonnyRailMan got it right when he described the 3-pole motors Hornby used in the past as, er, manure. They were very inconsistent and there was no attempt to weed out the bad ones.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, No Decorum said:

I don’t think that 3-pole motors are necessarily a bad thing, although the current 5-pole skew-wound motors Hornby uses are superb. DonnyRailMan got it right when he described the 3-pole motors Hornby used in the past as, er, manure. They were very inconsistent and there was no attempt to weed out the bad ones.

They would not pull the skin of a rice pudding.

3 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Incorrect! There were only some reports of them being weak, but not all. Tony Wright did a video of a Hornby LNER P2 which hauled 10 Hornby Pullman's with ease.

It was the pickups that were the main problem on many of the P2s.

Easily corrected on removing the keeper plate accompanied by some tweaking.

A smooth and powerful runner being the end result.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

It was the pickups that were the main problem on many of the P2s.

Easily corrected on removing the keeper plate accompanied by some tweaking.

A smooth and powerful runner being the end result.

Thanks for clearing that up B5B! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Incorrect! There were only some reports of them being weak, but not all. Tony Wright did a video of a Hornby LNER P2 which hauled 10 Hornby Pullman's with ease.

The 3 pole motors I had where CRAP. I even put them in good run in locos that had 3 pole motors.

G'Day Folks 

I bought a Railroad version from Rails, just after they came out, never had any problems with running, although I did try to find out how much it would pull, after hauling 25 coaches around my rather sharp curved layout, I thought that was enough !

manna

• Like 4

6 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks 

I bought a Railroad version from Rails, just after they came out, never had any problems with running, although I did try to find out how much it would pull, after hauling 25 coaches around my rather sharp curved layout, I thought that was enough !

manna

Impressive... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

I did a motor swap on mine (TTS version) and although it seems to be running about the same as it did with the 3-pole, its sounds very grindy. Motor dropped in directly. Only thing I had to do is solder the wires and drop it in.