Hornby 2021 - P2 new tooling

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DonnyRailMan said:

I take it a TTS P,O,W, will follow then the Railroad P,O,W, in the months following 

months of the launch . 

Railroad Prince of Wales? The new model is a full spec model, super detail model. No railroad 2007 has been announced yet. 

53 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

I would say a Railroad version of Prince of Wales is highly unlikely. But then again, you never know.

It's interesting, as I understand it Tornado was done as a Railroad because of the influence of the trust that they wanted models of it to be affordable (kids/trainsets etc.).

I wonder how come a full spec model has been done for POW? Wasn't the RR Tornado as successful as expected because a lot of the market want better models than that? I'd probably have one if it was a better model. I did have and sold it as I wasn't particularly enamoured with it.

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

It's interesting, as I understand it Tornado was done as a Railroad because of the influence of the trust that they wanted models of it to be affordable (kids/trainsets etc.).

I wonder how come a full spec model has been done for POW? Wasn't the RR Tornado as successful as expected because a lot of the market want better models than that? I'd probably have one if it was a better model. I did have and sold it as I wasn't particularly enamoured with it.

The Railroad P2 COTN was certainly good value for the money at launch. As for the Tornado due to be released in December, that looks a decent enough model in late BR green livery price discounted around the £95 mark.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

5 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

The Railroad P2 COTN was certainly good value for the money at launch. As for the Tornado due to be released in December, that looks a decent enough model in late BR green livery priced discounted around the £95 mark.

Yes I aren't saying it's bad value, I just think if it was better (and more expensive) I'd be more likely to have one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Yes I aren't saying it's bad value, I just think if it was better (and more expensive) I'd be more likely to have one.

As least the new versions now have cab glazing and the new five pole motor as standard.

The blue liveried version, which is now hard to source is also quite nice from what I've seen.

It's not up to Bachmann standards, but it is half the price.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

58 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Ah right, maybe I will have a look at one then. Those were two of the issues I had with the one I had.

The only other possible issue I can foresee would be the shade of Brunswick Hornby decide to use lol !

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

As least the new versions now have cab glazing and the new five pole motor as standard.

The blue liveried version, which is now hard to source is also quite nice from what I've seen.

It's not up to Bachmann standards, but it is half the price.

If you mean Tornado, even the latest one from the Aberdonian pack still has the same old 3 pole motor and only partial cab glazing.

Only bonus it has over the normal Railroad version is that its the full livery version with all the lining and such.

• Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, Kaput said:

If you mean Tornado, even the latest one from the Aberdonian pack still has the same old 3 pole motor and only partial cab glazing.

Only bonus it has over the normal Railroad version is that its the full livery version with all the lining and such.

When I enquired recently, Hornby customer services stated that the new 2021 release of Tornado (R30086) will feature a 5 pole skew wound motor which is 8 pin DCC ready.

Most Railroad plus locos now feature this as standard, e.g the Class 66 !

Partial glazing covers the forward cab and front set of side window panels, which from memory is the same as the Bachmann offering is it not?

https://images.app.goo.gl/tPPq7Jjvpe42yUQi8

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Typo
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 19/03/2021 at 13:06, 313201 said:

Hi Everyone 

On my P2 loco which consists of a modified A4 body on a P2 chassis which I modified to have V2 valve gear to make it look like 2003 - 2006, I changed the original bad 3 pole motor for an X4026 5 pole motor which can be glued in place as the rear motor securing piece cannot screw into the chassis due to the position being different but despite that, the loco runs much better so I recommend that unless Hornby have started using a better motor that the motor is changed for a better motor..

The Hornby 5 pole  X 9108 motor will do the job as well.

• RMweb Gold
On 06/01/2021 at 15:36, mattingleycustom said:

Any of those names beats 'Prince of Wales', where's the Scottish connection there?

Glenn

And it's not as if Prince Charles doesn't hold a few Scottish titles that would suit a railway locomotive..

"Lord of The Isles", anyone?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

They have said when in Scotland it will run as Duke of Rothesay. 

I like that!

Although are the nameplates going to be like the numberplates on Bond's Aston Martin and flip over as it crosses the border?

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

When I enquired recently, Hornby customer services stated that the new 2021 release of Tornado (R30086) will feature a 5 pole skew wound motor which is 8 pin DCC ready.

Most Railroad plus locos now feature this as standard, e.g the Class 66 !

Partial glazing covers the forward cab and front set of side window panels, which from memory is the same as the Bachmann offering is it not?

https://images.app.goo.gl/tPPq7Jjvpe42yUQi8

Hopefully they do use a better motor in this year's release then.

Be nice as well if they actually used the TTS chassis with the socket in the tender with tender pickups.

• Like 1

On 21/03/2021 at 16:50, 313201 said:

I may be incorrect here but I think there is or has been a video on youtube  showing how the Cock 'O' The North loco can be changed into Prince of Wales

Yeah there is a bloke on YouTube Martin Claydon who as renamed Cock O' The North to  Prince Of Wales.

Edited by DonnyRailMan

• 4 weeks later...

Well now that the great man has passed away maybe here is an opportunity to give the new P2 a proper name at last.

'Duke of Edinburgh' commemorates both Prince Philip, the lasting legacy of his awards scheme for young people and gives No.2007 the Scottish name it should have.

There's 65,000 tonnes of Aircraft Carrier named Prince of Wales already, surely that's enough tribute the next in line to the throne?

Glenn

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, mattingleycustom said:

Well now that the great man has passed away maybe here is an opportunity to give the new P2 a proper name at last.

'Duke of Edinburgh' commemorates both Prince Philip, the lasting legacy of his awards scheme for young people and gives No.2007 the Scottish name it should have.

There's 65,000 tonnes of Aircraft Carrier named Prince of Wales already, surely that's enough tribute the next in line to the throne?

Glenn

The decision has already been taken and, besides, a live royal enthusiast is worth cultivating. Why not put the name you suggest on the V4?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/04/2021 at 13:09, No Decorum said:

The decision has already been taken and, besides, a live royal enthusiast is worth cultivating. Why not put the name you suggest on the V4?

Isn't that one going to be 'The Flying Chicken'?

:tomato:

Edited by The Black Hat
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...