Hornby 2021 - P2 new tooling

AY Mod

I can sort of see why Hornby recommend using the opened chimney as it seems to force the steam up one opening.

I haven't got one but I wonder what would happen to the steam if you cut the "web" in the bottom half of the double chimney back leaving it open below but still looking like a double chimney from the top. Wonder if it would help direct the blast up both openings?

On 10/04/2024 at 12:32, rogerzilla said:

So you need flangeless wheels (wrong) or a swivelling pony truck (also wrong).

There is proven superior technique in HO for those that must use set track. The wheels are flanged and run in an inside frame truck. The exterior frame re[presentation is a thin piece, hinged and moves out to accomodate the wheelset movement on the inside of the curve by contact with a projection on the truck frame, returning to correct position on straight track by spring action.

Also 'wrong' but the best possible compromise I have yet seen.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 hours ago, E100 said:

Steam and the proper chimney fitted!

Strange Hornby is recommending the single chimney, while in this video with the double chimney it looks clearly there are two steam colums and more blast from the chimney maybe because the steam is under more pressure because the exhaust is smaller with the two holes.

And no problems it looks like it.

On Hornby YouTube channel about the P2, there is a text saying to use the single chimney for better resulsts, but the oposite looks better resulting.

Well, isn't that interesting. When I get mine back (I couldn't get it to steam at all) I may have a go at printing different chimneys to see what happens! I can understand the standard double chimney wouldn't be optimised for "steam" and it's easy to do a single hole, but, it might be possible to tune it for different running styles 😁

4 hours ago, Cor-onGRT4 said:

Strange Hornby is recommending the single chimney, while in this video with the double chimney it looks clearly there are two steam colums and more blast from the chimney maybe because the steam is under more pressure because the exhaust is smaller with the two holes.

And no problems it looks like it.

On Hornby YouTube channel about the P2, there is a text saying to use the single chimney for better resulsts, but the oposite looks better resulting.

short term the double chimney probably does look better, but I’d imagine it would allow a fair bit more water condensation on the inside of the chimney over time and thus run the risk of water dropping on top of the generator. The single chimney already results in a small amount of condensation on the inside walls.

There is a mention in the operating instructions that of you somehow get water on top of the generator, to clean it off as it could lead to damage. And if your running the double chimney chances are your not going to notice if water does end up on top on the generator and as such the generator might become damaged. 

The amount of steam being generated could well just be the reservoir being almost too full, as I have noticed the more water inside results in the more ‘steam’ out the chimney