Jump to content

Hornby 2021 - Mk1 BCK


Recommended Posts

 

The first standardised railway carriage design built by British Railways, the Mark 1 coach introduced in 1951 could be found across Britain’s railway network and continued to be produced until 1963, and even later in the form of multiple units and non-passenger stock. Along with being widely deployed, Mk1 coaches were built in various places including Derby, Doncaster, Eastleigh, Swindon, Wolverton and York. 

 

Most Mk1 coaches had 63ft 5in long underframes with 64ft 6in long bodies, although some were built shorter to be used on tighter curves where large overhangs would otherwise have prohibited running. In 1977 a reduction in the number of fatalities on British railways since 1955 was attributed to the introduction of the Mk1 coaches due to their steel build, strong underframe, and buckeye couplings making them far safer in the event of an accident. 

 

Mk1 coaches started to be withdrawn from widescale service in the 1990s, although in some regions, particularly in the south, Mk1 base multiple units continued to be used well into the 2000s. Network rail continue to use modified Mk1 coaches for various departmental duties and rail tour operators continue to use Mk1 coaches on specially organised services. 

 

The Mk1 BCK is a Mk1 Brake Composite Corridor coach meaning seating is split into compartments connected by a corridor on one side. The coach provided both first- and second-class compartments. Along with passenger seating this coach also houses a compartment containing equipment used to help brake the train. 

 

Slide127.JPG

 

Slide128.JPG

 

Slide129.JPG

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • AY Mod pinned this topic
43 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

 

Surely you can get a perfectly good Bachmann one

But there was a full set in Hornby's 2020 range, so why would Hornby miss this type out in 2021? And anyway, Mr Clever, Bachmann don't list one in their range... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Pint of Adnams said:

But there was a full set in Hornby's 2020 range, so why would Hornby miss this type out in 2021? And anyway, Mr Clever, Bachmann don't list one in their range... 

 

39-227D

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

Bit of an odd ball this one.

BCKs never the most popular of items, for Bachmann or Replica.

 

The only thing I can say is I can make a rake of Intercity white roof coaches, except the only one theyve made is the BCK...

so I may as well keep my Replica rake.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, retbsignalman said:

Somewhat surprised by their going for a BCK when there is already one to compete with. A BFK would have probably finished the MK1 brake vehicle set....

 

Graeme 

TBH I think there were very few BFKs. Personally I'd have anticipated a further mk1 catering vehicle. But we are where we are. I wonder if the decision was based on their use in departmental sets?

Edited by davidw
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Pint of Adnams said:

Might have done - but not in the current listings is my point.

A lot of things have been made, that are no longer made, by a lot of manufacturers.

But mk1’s do have a habit of coming back.

 

They are bread and butter.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

In the image it looks like the NR version is actually tooled with the blanked out doors and windows - should I get excited, or do we think that they will just arrive with them painted over as usual...

 

:lol:

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Peter Eaton said:

BCK @ ebay.

I might be going there to sell later in the year.

I currently have a rake of Hornby blue and grey Mk1s and the Bachmann BCK is the odd one out at one end of the rake.   Because of the design of the Bachmann coupling mechanism, it has a nasty habit of detaching on the sharp curve at my station throat so I will probably replace it with a Hornby one when that becomes available.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, retbsignalman said:

Somewhat surprised by their going for a BCK when there is already one to compete with. A BFK would have probably finished the MK1 brake vehicle set....

 

Graeme 

 

6 hours ago, davidw said:

TBH I think there were very few BFKs. Personally I'd have anticipated a further mk1 catering vehicle. But we are where we are. I wonder if the decision was based on their use in departmental sets?

 

There weren't many Mk1 BFKs I agree but a few have lasted.  I believe there is one in the LSL fleet based at Crewe, although perhaps not currently in service, and I believe there is also one in use as a "POB" Private Owner Brake support coach for a steam loco.

 

My fondest memory is of spending a night in one stabled in the siding at Mallaig after arriving off the 1638 Glasgow-Mallaig back in 1979, and making the crossing to Skye the next morning.  A BFK would be a more useful choice for the consumer I agree,

 

For the record the RCTS 1978 book suggests there were at least 27 built of which 25 survived in 1978. E14004 and E14023 were the only ER vehicles with the balance split between the LMR and the ScR.  The two "missing" vehicles were 14002 and 14006.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JerseyJon said:

In the image it looks like the NR version is actually tooled with the blanked out doors and windows - should I get excited, or do we think that they will just arrive with them painted over as usual...

 

:lol:

They will most likely just be painted over. Don’t forget these are digital images so it’s easy to put a block of colour over the window to disguise it completely 

  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

I was pleased to see the BCK announcement but a little surprised not to see a Carmine and Cream version as they would have been the first livery they carried.  On a slightly mercenary note, a Carmine and Cream version would be ideal for Tornado’s support coach :rolleyes:.

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a 4mm modeller, so just curious here - but these images make it look an awful lot like the handrails by the door in the brake portion are simply printed on. The fact the Network Rail coach has no sign of them at all makes me suspicious that they look printed on the other models because they are just printed on! 

 

Surely that can't be, in this day and age, in the larger scales?

 

Or are we confident that they are just poorly done Photoshop'ed images?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, justin1985 said:

I'm not a 4mm modeller, so just curious here - but these images make it look an awful lot like the handrails by the door in the brake portion are simply printed on. The fact the Network Rail coach has no sign of them at all makes me suspicious that they look printed on the other models because they are just printed on! 

 

Surely that can't be, in this day and age, in the larger scales?

 

Or are we confident that they are just poorly done Photoshop'ed images?

If you zoom in really really close on then network rail one you can just see the handles on the brake compartment doors. I’d say it was just very bad photo shopping. They will be moulded on as per the rest of the Mk1 range but definitely not printed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • AY Mod unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.