Hornby 2021 - SR Bogie Luggage van

AY Mod

13 minutes ago, caradoc said:

I hope Sir Winston never passed Stewarts Lane on a train and asked 'what is that Pullman-liveried vehicle for ?' !!

If you listen to the stories, I think he had probably planned it all himself, including which stock would be used.

If you think about it, the natural route to get to Oxfordshire and Blenheim Palace would be from Paddington.  The story in the "State Ceremonial" world in my early days in the Mob was that Churchill had specified that if DeGaulle attended the funeral the train should take the scenic route and leave from Waterloo...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, DutyDruid said:

If you think about it, the natural route to get to Oxfordshire and Blenheim Palace would be from Paddington.  The story in the "State Ceremonial" world in my early days in the Mob was that Churchill had specified that if DeGaulle attended the funeral the train should take the scenic route and leave from Waterloo...

I have also heard this on a number of occasions as being Churchill’s own request. True or not, it certainly fits his character, and as these kinds of stories go it’s one of the more believable ones.

Aside from that, I’m surprised to hear of even fairly standard rolling stock releases now falling into ‘sold out on preorder’ territory. I almost never preorder and would always much rather see the item first, and I would have thought these will be around in the shops for a little while at least.

Adam

Apart from wanting to annoy de Gaulle (laudable though that was), would part of the reason for using Waterloo have been the easier transfer from the Thames there ? Plus of course it was an SR loco and van used for the train. 

• Like 1

But every time he visited Waterloo he may have thought “ One day, De Gaulle will come here and see the name Waterloo”.

it would have made more sense to route the  cortège from Victoria  . 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

The green and maroon versions have sold out on pre-order at Hattons.  The Winston Churchill version is still available there so perhaps it is less popular.

The Churchill is sold out on pre-order as well for a time, not stated on the site but you can only ad it to a wishlist.

I have two SR versions on order for a while and like this one to, but not possible.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, CUCKOO LINE said:

Just had my order for R60021 with Hattons cancelled, others seem to still be taking preorders  though

Been a common thing with Hattons recently see the preorder email thread either in hattons on Hornby's forum section. Mines with kernow and appears to be some left to order still. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 07/04/2021 at 11:58, CUCKOO LINE said:

Just had my order for R60021 with Hattons cancelled, others seem to still be taking preorders  though

Derails still have most if not all variants available for pre-order.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Typo

• RMweb Gold
On 07/04/2021 at 11:58, CUCKOO LINE said:

I've had the same, so have placed new orders elsewhere.

Over the weekend, I shall be doing the same with all other Hornby items I currently have on preorder with Hatton's and cancelling those orders.

John

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Personally, I'm still hoping for a green version with BR lettering and numbering.  Mind you, as the same also applies to the SR 58’ Maunsell Rebuilt (ex-LSWR 48’) Coaches, it looks like a lengthy wait.

Edited by bude_branch
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, bude_branch said:

Personally, I'm still hoping for a green version with BR lettering and numbering.  Mind you, as the same also applies to the SR 58’ Maunsell Rebuilt (ex-LSWR 48’) Coaches, it looks like a lengthy wait.

I would think that version you refer to would be a natural choice for the 2022 range.

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, bude_branch said:

Its surely got to come - there is film of such a green set on the Sidmouth branch. 

• RMweb Gold

Gap-filling of "missing" coach liveries by Hornby seems to be rather hit-and-miss.

They did the Maunsell "Somerset & Dorset" 3-set in BR green a good few years ago and have recently re-run individual coaches to make such sets.

However, despite the existence of numerous published photos showing them running in crimson/cream, there's been no hint of any in model form.

John

• RMweb Gold
On 05/01/2021 at 20:30, Wickham Green too said:

Yyyyyeah ........... but don't forget what is usually seen ( in photos ) is the front end of a train - where the puff-puff or whatever is located - and a train without a GBL behind the tender might well have one on the tail ............. moreover, being parcels vehicles, they were very often NOT seen when out an' about 'cos all self respecting photographers were tucked up in bed.

On the WoE main line being at the front was important to ensure access to the van. Relatively few stations could accommodate the longest trains without at least the rearmost couple of coaches being off the platform.

For example, neither Axminster and Sidmouth Junction (IIRC) would hold more than nine and longer trains stopped at both.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

On 10/04/2021 at 12:37, bude_branch said:

Personally, I'm still hoping for a green version with BR lettering and numbering.  

There were very few painted BR green.  The Gould book lists 3 out of maybe half a dozen approx.  I havnt got it with me but as I recall they were all short length versions.  The only photo of a green one I've seen is the one used on the Golden Arrow, and thats not one of the 3.  I have seen a close up photo of this one in Stewarts Lane yard that shows its number, but I can't find it now.

Edited by Combe Martin

3 hours ago, Combe Martin said:

There were very few painted BR green.  The Gould book lists a few, (maybe half a dozen approx).  I havnt got it with me but as I recall they were spread across  the different versions.  The only photo of a green one I've seen is the one used on the Golden Arrow.  I have seen a close up photo of this one in Stewarts Lane yard that shows its number, but I can't find it now.

Although only a few were actually painted in BR(S) green, if I recall correctly, a number of SR green vans were re-varnished and received BR lettering, which resulted in a similar shade of green to that used by both BR and Hornby.

Edited by bude_branch

On 08/01/2021 at 14:36, Tony Cane said:

The only colour images I know of of WWII ambulance trains are these two.

They are just post WWII and the colour will be affected by weathering and the photographic process.

The inside edge of the open door on the close up picture perhaps gives a better indication of the original colour.

There is an example panel in the records of the ambulance train committee at PRO Kew that shows the colours  that were intended to be used.

pows2a.jpg

pows3a.jpg

Is it me or does the man on the stretcher look a lot like Charlie Sheen?

2 hours ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

Is it me or does the man on the stretcher look a lot like Charlie Sheen?

That would be Herr Sheen. The picture was taken in 1946 and the patients were wounded POWs, hence the hardware in the background.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 11/04/2021 at 10:59, bude_branch said:

Although only a few were actually painted in BR(S) green, if I recall correctly, a number of SR green vans were re-varnished and received BR lettering, which resulted in a similar shade of green to that used by both BR and Hornby.

As I wanted one without the droplights, and I'm too impatient to wait for Hornby to get round to a BR one in any shade, I've ordered an SR one and will attempt to replicate the process.

Mind you, by the time I've finished with it, nobody will be entirely certain what colour it is underneath. :jester:

OTOH, for some unfathomable reason, I'm quite content to wait for a green one with droplights....

John