Hornby 2021 - SR Bogie Luggage van

AY Mod

35 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

These look to be excellent models, and I am sorely tempted to add to my small stock of detailed Tri-ang examples.

I don't recall it being mentioned previously that the Tri-ang ones suffer from the then-common practice of representing plank lines with raised rather than grooved lines - presumably as this would have considerably reduced the cost of making the injection moulding tool.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

Nice that Hornby have modelled a representation of the finer mesh behind the main window bars and the droplights in the van B/C type centre doors are a separate moulding. Any one know how many of the Diag. 3099 had the van B centre doors?

743615776_BLG-ThenThenEditSm.jpg.77ddcd415614feeecdae5c489a2d1b8b.jpg

Interesting that S2353S if the short batch had the 2 + 2 planking arrangement.

P

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Nice that Hornby have modelled a representation of the finer mesh behind the main window bars and the droplights in the van B/C type centre doors are a separate moulding. Any one know how many of the Diag. 3099 had the van B centre doors?

As I stated in my review above, 16 of the D.3099 became D.3097 with the drop light fitted centre doors.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Just checking your'e awake.

I am just, and also just enough awake to be pedantic and advise that technically they are droplights fitted to the original GBL doors, as the doors themselves are a different construction and not interchangeable with the inward opening Guards doors on Bogie Van Bs and Van Cs.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah, Graham M, many thanks!  That is just the sort of review I was looking for, in my post earlier today.  I checked your website this morning before writing, but you didn't have anything up then.  Your review is excellent - thank you.

John S

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Pteremy said:

They do look good. But mine will be a Rule 1 Pullman Hearse version, which I was not expecting until the Autumn. I assume that is still the case?

The Pullman liveried version is out now and in high demand.  Good luck! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

@Graham_Muz A friend is asking if he bought one in olive he would need to change the wheels to Gibson Mansell for a late 40s layout.:read:

You can tell your ‘friend’ that as stated in my review the wheels were changed between 1945 and 1948 so ideally yes but I am sure others were changed without repainting the bodies. 
Also your friend would have to look very closely to notice especially if running behind a nicely weathered N Class … 

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Is it just me, or is anyone else mildly amused by Hattons' obsession with the condition of the box with their 2h models?  It is nice to have a box in good condition and a vague indication perhaps of how well the previous owner has looked after the model, but for me the box and it's condition is probably the least important feature of a secondhand model.  Hatton's sometimes seem to be demanding fairly high prices for models described as 'wobbly' runners with missing buffers or other faults in 'very good box'.  I would rather have a model in good nick without a box or with a scruffy, dog-eared, one.

I sort of get it, though.  Some modellers and especially collectors place a high value on the box.  There are many whose main purpose in building layouts is to re-create their childhood train set or to create  their ultimate childhood dream layout, and there is nothing wrong with that of course, but I think that for these people the triggered memory of the xmas morning thrill of unwrapping the pressie, seeing that Triang red or Hornby Dublo striped box, and carefully opening is part of the ritual. 

I also get a smile from eBay listings 'New in box', 'Box never opened', along with 'good runner'.  If it's never been taken out of the box, how do you know it's a good runner?

I've blown the budgie on a HM6000 controller until next pension day, when I will probably buy one of these lovely vans.  A crimson centre door droplight or a Southern Railway green will be fine for an early 50s layout, but of course these are selling like hot cakes and may all be gone by then!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

You can tell your ‘friend’ that as stated in my review the wheels were changed between 1945 and 1948 so ideally yes but I am sure others were changed without repainting the bodies. 
Also your friend would have to look very closely to notice especially if running behind a nicely weathered N Class … 

Interesting. I've got a few of those Mansell* centered wheels kicking around, it would be nice to use them.

Another question of behalf of a 'friend' (this time one of mine), is there any evidence of specific members of the D.3097 lot being painted malachite? 

Edit: Changed Maunsell (incorrect) to Mansell (correct)

Edited by Jack P

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

The Pullman liveried version is out now and in high demand.  Good luck! 

Strange how a vehicle with literally one very specific role to fulfil is so popular. Is there any evidence that this vehicle ran in this livery in ordinary service?

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Strange how a vehicle with literally one very specific role to fulfil is so popular. Is there any evidence that this vehicle ran in this livery in ordinary service?

no it was only in this livery the once but is of course preserved 

• Thanks 1

I know of at least two people who bought the pullman livery van on the basis that "it's in pullman livery to go with my pullmans". I have a feeling that might explain it's popularity despite being a one off thing in real life. People either not realising that, or no caring about that and just thinking it looks nice.

• RMweb Premium

Re the Mansell wheels.

Anybody know what finish they had when the vans were introduced?

Some vehicles on some railways seem to have had the wooden centres varnished.

Did the SR do this or should they just be black?

I have a good stock of Alan Gibson Mansell wheels so when my order for two Olive ones arrives, hopefully Tuesday, I can swap them.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

AIUI van 2464 had already been withdrawn and was languishing in a line of condemned stock with several others of its kind when selected for its ceremonial role, so it can't have. 

However, as has been mentioned by Oldddudders (much) earlier in the thread, after it had been prepared, it was a familiar sight at Stewarts Lane for several years whilst awaiting its destiny.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cctransuk said:

The wheel type is MANSELL - nothing to do with Maunsell.

John Isherwood.

Thanks John, I completely blanked on that. My Southern bias meant I had just assumed it was the same man, and thus the same spelling!

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, sparky66 said:

I know of at least two people who bought the pullman livery van on the basis that "it's in pullman livery to go with my pullmans". I have a feeling that might explain it's popularity despite being a one off thing in real life. People either not realising that, or no caring about that and just thinking it looks nice.

People do like a train to look all-of-a-piece. And the real railway was not above doing this, too. Do I not recall a story about a WR van being purloined to match the pullmans in the latter days of the Bournemouth Belle?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, sparky66 said:

I wonder what the great man himself would have made of the idea of a model of his hearse circling the model railways of the nation at infinitum? :)