Hornby 2021 - SR Bogie Luggage van

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Mind you, they've never taken advantage of the LNWR bogies they produced for the Pullman Observation Car !

Hornby probably don't look at it from that point of view.

• RMweb Premium

I have found a slight problem with these GBLs

I have replaced the wheels on one of mine with Alan Gibson Mansel pattern wheels, gauged to a B2B of 14.5mm and they bind on the brake blocks.

It is now really draggy. Looks like some plastic needs removing from the brake blocks

I haven't had this problem with Hornby before, although I have with Bachmann.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I have replaced the wheels on one of mine with Alan Gibson Mansel pattern wheels, gauged to a B2B of 14.5mm and they bind on the brake blocks.

Yep, the big manufacturer's still seem to be a bit slow on leaving enough space for those that model in the wider gauges.  I wonder if the societies committees should be lobbying on their members behalf. (As if they don't have enough to do).

This is a P4 profile with the brakes firmly applied to the flanges.

BLV-Hornby-027-EditSm.jpg.5e4fec47f03407cf6ea69db5eb533a5b.jpg

Not to difficult to sort by removing the Brake block moulding, cutting down the middle then re-gluing it back to the frame but I thought the big boys would have cottoned on by now.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

A BTB of 14.5mm is normal OO, and Hornby coach wheels are described as being of 14.2mm diameter, so I'm surprised Gibsons are binding.

The aim and duty of the "big boys" is to optimise the appearance of their models for their core clientele, not compromise it for the benefit of those modelling in other gauges.

Anyhow, wasn't P4 specifically invented for people who enjoy doing things the hard way?:jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

A BTB of 14.5mm is normal OO, and Hornby coach wheels are described as being of 14.2mm diameter, so I'm surprised Gibsons are binding.

The aim and duty of the "big boys" is to optimise the appearance of their models for their core clientele, not compromise it for the benefit of those modelling in other gauges.

Anyhow, wasn't P4 specifically invented for people who enjoy doing things the hard way?:jester:

John

The original Hornby wheels have a B2B of about 14.2mm and the brake blocks are very close then, even original Hornby wheels bind when set to 14.5mm

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

The original Hornby wheels have a B2B of about 14.2mm and the brake blocks are very close then, even original Hornby wheels bind when set to 14.5mm

I must admit that I've never actually measured the BTB on Hornby wheels, though I almost always have to pull them out to get my SMP gauge in. This one is clearly going to involve a bit more tweaking than usual.

I've just stuck the chalk boards on the first of my GBLs. A bit nerve wracking but all went OK. Held each in place with a cocktail stick, applied a tiny amount of MekPak around the edges with the point of a very small brush and let capillary action do its thing. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I've just stuck the chalk boards on the first of my GBLs. A bit nerve wracking but all went OK. Held each in place with a cocktail stick, applied a tiny amount of MekPak around the edges with the point of a very small brush and let capillary action do its thing. 

I did the same myself earlier; as you say, a bit nerve wracking.  I tried to aim the Mek Pak at the plank join that the board sits astride so that it might run along that reach the underneath of the board, which it seems to have done.  The Mek Pak seems to have made a good bond.

• Informative/Useful 1

It's not the back-to back that's the problem with Hornby's wheels - they're a little under-sized : 14.1mm diameter rather than Gibson's 14.3mm ................. Gibson's slightly longer axles are on the verge of binding, too.

I've not fitted my chalk boards yet - but will use canopy glue ...... very useful stuff !

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

It's not the back-to back that's the problem with Hornby's wheels - they're a little under-sized : 14.1mm diameter rather than Gibson's 14.3mm ................. Gibson's slightly longer axles are on the verge of binding, too.

I've not fitted my chalk boards yet - but will use canopy glue ...... very useful stuff !

Been comparing some wheelsets (several axles of each)

Bachmann: Axle length 26mm +/- 0.02mm, diameter 14mm + 0/-0.05mm

Hornby: Axle Length 25.7mm +/- 0.04mm, diameter 14.05mm +/- 0.03mm

Gibson Mansells: Axle length 25.9mm +/- 0.04mm, diameter 14.25mm +/- 0.05mm

However I've also got two axles of earlier Gibson Mansell wheels and they are just under 14mm diameter. (?)

5 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Fitting parts like this are a bit of a fiddle. I like to use a bit of blu-tack on the end of a toothpick (that i've cut the point off), to hold the item, followed by some semi gloss/satin varnish on the back of the plate. 

Like most things, ask 6 different people, you'd probably get 10 different answers.

• Like 2

Mine arrived the other day. Echo everyone's comments on them being excellent models. i Mine did have one minor printing issue as on this side there's no handbrake on/off markings. Not a massive issue for me. 

I have painted the wheels, as I tend to do now with factory fresh Hornby rolling stock as it improves the look a lot, especially on coaches as the bare metal wheels stand out in a complete rake. 

IMG_20210507_195944.jpg.7b0ad8e62ec89800b95bea143a803238.jpg

IMG_20210507_200008.jpg.615afd26636c0dbf005dc71ce4ecff0f.jpg

Looks OK under natural light above but having it under my workbench lighting highlighted the bogies are bare plastic and have a blue tint to them.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Have now sorted the fitting of Gibson Mansell wheels.

It was the brake blocks that were binding slightly a little fettling did the job, the Gibson axles are fine in the bogie as there is sufficient side play to take the extra 0.2mm

The brake blocks are just a bit too close for wheels at 14.5mm B2B (even the original Hornby's)

Excellent job Hornby.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, melmerby said:

Have now sorted the fitting of Gibson Mansell wheels.

It was the brake blocks that were binding slightly a little fettling did the job, the Gibson axles are fine in the bogie as there is sufficient side play to take the extra 0.2mm

The brake blocks are just a bit too close for wheels at 14.5mm B2B (even the original Hornby's)

Excellent job Hornby.

The first batch of Maunsell rebuilt coaches suffered with blocks rubbing on wheels. I found a few hundred feet of spirited running began to improve things. The more recent batch was fine. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

A lovely model and here's a nice comparison with their LNER full brake in my inter-regional parcels. Does anyone do the paper corridor connectors for these two models.

DSCN7807.JPG.d0d1c9baad94224c7aa8bc9278f747af.JPG

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you search on ebay for corridor connectors plenty come up eg:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142266200861?hash=item211fb9f31d:g:h~sAAOSw5dNWqn98

I think there's more than one seller of the same thing so maybe they are getting them from elsewhere.  Not sure what you'd do for Gresley to Maunsell but there are Gresley ones and Maunsell ones.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

A lovely model and here's a nice comparison with their LNER full brake in my inter-regional parcels. Does anyone do the paper corridor connectors for these two models.

DSCN7807.JPG.d0d1c9baad94224c7aa8bc9278f747af.JPG

The BS (not Maunsell) gangways on prototype GBLs were equipped with adaptors so could be attached to a Gresley BG, though the screw coupling would be in use as only the LNER van had buckeyes.

However, such a combination of vehicles wouldn't necessarily have the gangways coupled, especially if the train was expected to be remarshalled en route. Through access between a GBL and its neighbours was only really important on newspaper workings, where staff needed to move from emptied vans to full ones as the journey progressed. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2