Hornby 2021 - SR Bogie Luggage van

AY Mod

• 4 weeks later...

I am getting a little 'concerned'.

Having seen the article about the development of the Winston Churchill Funeral Car on the 'Hornby' programme, I was so impressed by what I saw that I rang up my stockists and asked them to add one onto the order that I already have for the soon-to-be-released Flying Scotsman in BR green.

Now my dealers have come back to me to say that this order is cancelled!  I have just e-mailed Hornby to ask for an explanation.

Really now!  If a new product is promoted on TV, it goes without saying that it will generate a lot of interest (i.e. orders) in that product and that puts the onus on them to hit the floor running.  Has Hornby missed the mark here?

This also gives me doubts as to when I will see my 60103 ?

Spleen vented!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, AyJay said:

Having seen the article about the development of the Winston Churchill Funeral Car on the 'Hornby' programme, I was so impressed by what I saw that I rang up my stockists and asked them to add one onto the order that I already have for the soon-to-be-released Flying Scotsman in BR green.

Now my dealers have come back to me to say that this order is cancelled!  I have just e-mailed Hornby to ask for an explanation.

Really now!  If a new product is promoted on TV, it goes without saying that it will generate a lot of interest (i.e. orders) in that product and that puts the onus on them to hit the floor running.  Has Hornby missed the mark here?

Spleen vented!

The first batch of those came and (largely) went some weeks before the programme aired. Unless you can find a retailer that still has stock, it'll be a matter of waiting for Hornby to do another run.

There are still some around, and I'd advise Googling Hornby R60057 if you want one any time soon.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, prtrainman said:

Olivias Trains website is showing 9 Funeral Cars in stock. Depends on whether you are happy with their inflated price of £48.

I don't think that three or four quid over list would deter me if the alternative were missing out on a model I wanted that might not be re-run for quite a time.

In any event, a couple of days ago, Hatton's were advertising a pre-owned example of the old ex-Tri-ang version for a pound more than that!  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

www.modellbahnunion.com have all four versions still in stock now 2 SR green, 2 BR maroon , now for only € 28,68 euro in the black friday sale.

Lots of Hornby / Dapol and Bachmann items in the black friday sale, up to 30% and some even till 44%, discount on loco's coaches , wagons and buildings.

I ordered yesterday a BR maroon and Bachmann SR breake down crane , this one cost only € 170,48 about 142,- pound, and still available on this moment in GWR and SR livery

Have a good hunting all:D 

Edited by Cor-onGRT4
  • Like 3

On 25/11/2021 at 11:03, AyJay said:

If a new product is promoted on TV, it goes without saying that it will generate a lot of interest (i.e. orders) in that product and that puts the onus on them to hit the floor running.  Has Hornby missed the mark here?

There’s a lag time between filming and broadcast. Perhaps the intervening period was busy for them?

I purchased a funeral van yesterday from a little known model shop in Grays Road, Stockton on Tees. It used to be called TigerTaz models but is now under new management. We call it Marty's Models. I must find out what it is actually called. New stock @£38.00.

Why? Too many people asking if I had one after they saw the TV show. Looks good at the rear of Pullman train. Well....My train set!!!

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 2

On 25/11/2021 at 06:03, AyJay said:

Spleen vented!

This was my father's experience with this product, the Dublo Merchant Navy and other product recently.

Three times in less than a year for preorders to be unfulfilled - and reports by many others. It makes me wonder if it's Hornby, the retailers, or both. It's not reflecting well on either currently...

• 2 weeks later...

One of the few times in my life i have purchased something having seen it on TV. Watching the Hornby documentary and then looming up the reviews prompted me ot order this model (sr green, aside from the running number and roind buffers reprasenting the Bluebell's example). It really looks fantastic in the pictures. Now if only more model manufacturers advertised like this...

I am amazing at the price. Under £40 for a top class bogie vehicle. Aside from the interior it is no different to a coach in terms of parts fitted yet is about £15 cheaper then equivalent new tooled manusells....

• Like 2

Just unboxed the GBL. Fantastic model. Really fantastic and near perfect in terms of QC and quality.

Hornby at its absolute tops.

Only thing I would criticise is that it is a shame 'extended' gangways are not provided for coupling to adjacent coaches, as the gangways are very much in the 'retracted' position.

I've now got a 6.5 car Maunsell-liveried rake (TO-TO-Kitchen-BCK-GBL-Van B-Van C, with all vehicles representing preserved examples/types in their details (an not insignificant purchasing achievement since given the detail/livery combinations Hornby have prioritised in this tooling!).

Waiting for the new third dining car and for Hornby to eventually get round to doing a high-window 4-compartment brake third in lined Maunsell green and my rake will be complete barring any new tools from Hornby...

This said, there is a further non-pull-push Maunsell TO at Swanage so I could probably stretch to a third TO!

So happy I got hold of a high window BCK from the Imperial Airways pack so many years ago...

They really are a lovely set of vehicles.

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 14/12/2021 at 19:11, G-BOAF said:

Just unboxed the GBL. Fantastic model. Really fantastic and near perfect in terms of QC and quality.

Hornby at its absolute tops.

Absolutely and I was lucky enough to receive one in my stocking that had been expertly weathered by @toboldlygo I agree about the gangways and was wondering if Modeller's Mecca do the paper infills suitable for this stock.

gbl_04.jpg.07794b56fa0a461dccd4999574a3b62f.jpg.d6fc3155aaad94fc41eb03af5727a4e2.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Maunsells have Pullman pattern gangways, the GLVs have the "British Standard" type as used by the GWR and LMS; presumably re-used from the same LSWR coaches the underframes came from.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

Modellers Mecca make several varieties of British Standard gangway but not (yet, & I hope they will) specifically for the Hornby GBL.  Which would be best I wouldn't like to say. 

The LSWR underframes used were from non-corridor stock (the bodies went onto new electric undeframes) so the gangways were new.

Chris KT

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, bude_branch said:

Unfortunately, it would seem that there is still no green version with BR lettering and numbering. 

This might be because very few were repainted BR green, and there are no repainting records. The Gould book notes a few (5 or 6 I seem to recall ?) repainted green but some of those were the other length (shorter) versions.  The one used on the Golden Arrow in later years was green and there is a picture of it in Stewarts Lane yard somewhere where you can see the number but it may be a shorter one.

1 hour ago, Combe Martin said:

This might be because very few were repainted BR green, and there are no repainting records. The Gould book notes a few (5 or 6 I seem to recall ?) repainted green but some of those were the other length (shorter) versions.  The one used on the Golden Arrow in later years was green and there is a picture of it in Stewarts Lane yard somewhere where you can see the number but it may be a shorter one.

Why does it matter if there were only a few, most modellers will only want one or two?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

On 30/12/2021 at 00:44, chris45lsw said:

Modellers Mecca make several varieties of British Standard gangway but not (yet, & I hope they will) specifically for the Hornby GBL.  Which would be best I wouldn't like to say. 

The LSWR underframes used were from non-corridor stock (the bodies went onto new electric undeframes) so the gangways were new.

Chris KT

However you need to remember that 'Pullman' gangways are installed where buckeye couplers are fitted and the gangway takes the place of the side buffers for the coach!

The old LSWR underframes would have been fitted with screw link couplings and probably not beefy enough for buckeyes to be retro fitted without strengthening, while the as built body may not have been strong enough to cope with the buffering forces either.

Bering in mind the whole reason the GBLs were built using recycled underframes was to keep costs down using 'British Standard' gangways is a pragmatic solution - and its still possible that the canny SR was able to procure some 2nd hand ones from somewhere.

53 minutes ago, bude_branch said:

Why does it matter if there were only a few, most modellers will only want one or two?

I don't have my copy of the Gould book with me at the moment (most of my books are in storage at the moment mid moving) but as I recall (and I might be wrong), because there are no repainting records things were a bit vague, and he couldn't be definite about which were re-painted green.  Some of the numbers quoted were definitely those of short vans (Hornby's is a long van), I can remember that because I investigated this myself because I'd detailed an original Triang model (Roxley kit plus lots of my own bits) and wanted to paint it green and was unsure if I'd be correct in doing that. I resigned myself to having to paint it red !  The only green colour photos I've ever seen are of the Golden Arrow one when running (where you cant see the number - It does have the centre droplight windows), and as I said earlier, also of it in Stewarts Lane yard where the number is visible.  Unfortunately I don't have this picture. As I recall it was published in a magazine that I didn't buy on that occasion, Back Track, Steam Days or something like that probably at least 20 years ago or more !     

• Like 1