Hornby 2021 - SR Bogie Luggage van

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

Like the above picture I have fitted Kadee #18s to my two GBLs as they are "loose" to be added to coach rakes as needed.

However there is the same problem as always with Kadees and the close coupling units.

You cannot push back through reverse curves as the buffers will lock and derailment ensues.

It does it with all my CCU fitted stock and is why I use Roco & Hornby close couplers for inter-rake connections with Kadees just on the outer vehicles.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Like the above picture I have fitted Kadee #18s to my two GBLs as they are "loose" to be added to coach rakes as needed.

However there is the same problem as always with Kadees and the close coupling units.

You cannot push back through reverse curves as the buffers will lock and derailment ensues.

It does it with all my CCU fitted stock and is why I use Roco & Hornby close couplers for inter-rake connections with Kadees just on the outer vehicles.

Unfortunately, that happens with any coupler that doesn't lock the CCUs together. When you push, the play in the coupler allows the CCU to go the wrong way.

It's much the same process as reversing a car with a trailer attached, but you can't swing the loco the opposite way to compensate!

There is a cure, which is to fit the bogies with guides to steer the CCUs as they turn. I learned this from using Keen Systems CCUs, which lack the self-centreing action of RTR ones.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

Just managed to order R60020 at Hattons site, It was cancelled like many other people happens a little while ago.

I only got R60020a pre ordered.

But i looked a few minute ago on their site and only one in stock, so no hasitation and ordered at once:preved:.

So now i still get it .

Maybe an left over, or cancelled one.

Edited by Cor-onGRT4
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Cor-onGRT4 said:

Just managed to order R60020 at Hattons site, It was cancelled like many other people happens a little while ago.

I only got R60020a pre ordered.

But i looked a few minute ago on their site and only one in stock, so no hasitation and ordered at once:preved:.

So now i still get it .

Maybe an left over, or cancelled one.

Why didn't you use Derails who have both in stock?

Hattons actually show two in stock but you pay postage as well, so £4 more.

Ignore that, doesn't apply.:nono:

Edited by melmerby

Depends on whether Derails does export. Some retailers don't.

I managed to get a SWC van, added to my trunk. I was waiting to see if the two CS coaches I haven't got came in.

I was intending getting a red or green one instead, but I reckon they will be easier to get in the future. I know elsewhere have them, but I'm in danger of overspending on rolling stock so I'll wait a few weeks for the others.  :help:

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Depends on whether Derails does export. Some retailers don't.

True

Then the postage comes into play on either.

But Derails don't, currently, ship overseas, so not an option

Edited by melmerby

15 hours ago, melmerby said:

True

Then the postage comes into play on either.

But Derails don't, currently, ship overseas, so not an option

Hattons has the comfort of the trunk and DDP shipping, so no hassle with VAT and handling cost when arriving, this is always more expensive.

Hattons take care for all custom documents.

If there are enough items in my trunk , i let it ship with DPD for only 7 pounds to the Netherlands, it is going by road and mostly in 2-4 days arrived, i can ship this way for only 9 pounds 31 kg, i shipped  several times 6 boxes of  144 flexible Legacy models track for only 9 pounds,

not even possible with Royal Mail 

My last shipment in december for a single item with Royal Mail took 7 weeks, so no longer that way.

And yes , many shops don't ship to the EU anymore, first caused by covid 19, but after the brexit not any longer because all the complexity of shipping to EU with all the documents.

After Hattons did not get any longer Bachmann stock , i found Modelrailwaysdirect, but they also not ship anymore to the EU, by reasons i mentioned.

That is a very nice store with very good pricing and  reasonable shipping prices, did many Bachmann deliveries and some other makes from them.

So if possible i keep as many possible delivered from Hattons, only items they cannot provide, i', forced to buy else.

I am going to ad some items to my trunk with the two  SR lugage vans and ship these for only 7 pounds and this comming week they are here.

So, thats the reasons i stick with Hattons, even they cancelled three of my pre orders, but most i still did received including my complete Coronation Scott and all three Pecketts B2 

• Informative/Useful 4

On 01/05/2021 at 18:06, Pteremy said:

Oh OK! Hopefully my preorder will deliver shortly then!

It is in the post! If those lovely folk at Kernow are ever in favour of Cornish independence then do let me know - they can have my vote.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Pteremy said:

It is in the post! If those lovely folk at Kernow are ever in favour of Cornish independence then do let me know - they can have my vote.

But you would have to pay custom duty when your purchase crosses the Tamar.:jester:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 6

23 minutes ago, melmerby said:

But you would have to pay custom duty when your purchase crosses the Tamar.:jester:

No, I am sure that there would be a very extensive free trade agreement, encompassing model railways, pasties and Risk Stein products - amongst other things.

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Or they might open a branch this side of the Tamar to circumvent any such problems ...................... c'mon, they've thought of that already !

But you cannot preorder from the 'branch''?

• RMweb Gold

Pleasant surprise!

Considering the natural progression of price increases on virtually anything new it was most pleasing to note the price of Hornby’s SR Bogie Luggage Van, especially when compared to that of the second run of the Van B which was retailing at over forty sovs just over a year ago.

Can’t see these lovely models gathering dust on the shelves.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Thought I'd post a photo of one of mine running at the front of a rake of Maunsell coaches.

You can even read the number on the plate on the solebar.

GBL1.jpg.96fa053e6d829f30a9c1fc1b5d43a0cb.jpg

Fitted with Kadee #18s and Gibson Mansell wheels

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Having formed the opinion that this model is somewhat let down by the shiny windows and the over-bright glazing bars, I decided to do something about it.

After trying it out on some scrap glazing first, I applied Humbrol Matt acrylic varnish to that on one side of my first GBL.

I'm quite pleased with the results, and will do the other side later. The windows now look a bit grubby (as NPCS windows should) the bars are still visible but no longer jump out at me, and the wavy surface of the glazing now looks flat.  

Before and after pics attached. Note that I also painted the buffers with Humbrol matt black enamel, sparingly applied to avoid gumming up the sprung action.

John

GBL 01r.JPG

GBL 02r.JPG

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

A further trick while making dirty windows on NPCCS is to wipe some, but of course not all, of the dirt off before it dries, in a simulation of a hand wiping motion by a porter who wants to look inside at a station to see what is in there before opening up to unload.  If you are heavily weathering the vehicle, a similar clean patch over the running number is not unusual either.  NPCCS got very dirty and there was little need to clean it, but a view to the interior and the running number were needed.

Personally, I use my weathering gunge wash to do this job, rather than matt varnish, which gives a misted up window effect (fine on the inside surface of glazing to represent condensation on a busy train on a wet day, again with hand wipe clean patches)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Wickham Green too said:

.......... or a guard - where present - who wants to see out !

Not relevant with the GBL of course as it lacks any Guards facilities!

Now the non gangwayed Van B or Van C on the other hand....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Not relevant with the GBL of course as it lacks any Guards facilities!

Now the non gangwayed Van B or Van C on the other hand....

The guards usually seemed to open their droplights (if not the door, which opened inwards) as I remember it, and they had the periscopes for checking along the train.

Where I've varnished the windows on these, I remove most of it from the guard's windows. A gentle rub with a moistened fingertip after it's dry does the trick, leaving a bit of muck in the corners.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

My GBL's arrived today (thanks Kernow!), and I set to work almost right away..

51175407677_133eb9aba1_h.jpg

51176087186_b08733ddd1_h.jpg

51175407642_fb0e88a6c8_h.jpg

Waiting for the paint to dry before giving it a clear top coat, then i'll go over the roof.

A really nice model from Hornby, good job. 

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 13/05/2021 at 12:40, Jack P said:

My GBL's arrived today (thanks Kernow!), and I set to work almost right away..

51175407677_133eb9aba1_h.jpg

51176087186_b08733ddd1_h.jpg

51175407642_fb0e88a6c8_h.jpg

Waiting for the paint to dry before giving it a clear top coat, then i'll go over the roof.

A really nice model from Hornby, good job. 

Is that Southern Railway malachite that you've sprayed it with ?, and if so have you managed to identify one that was re-painted so, or are you guessing at a number ?   

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Combe Martin said:

Is that Southern Railway malachite that you've sprayed it with ?, and if so have you managed to identify one that was re-painted so, or are you guessing at a number ?   

Upthread (p.12) Islesy cited two known examples of the 53' 3" vans in SR malachite, albeit in 1950/1; 2465 and 2481.

A quick dekko at p.86 of Gould indicates that neither had received droplights to the middle set of doors.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

31 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Upthread (p.12) Ilsesey cited two known examples of the 53' 3" vans in SR malachite, albeit in 1950/1; 2465 and 2481.

A quick dekko at p.86 of Gould indicates that neither had received droplights to the middle set of doors.

John

Ah yes, thanks for the reminder.  I think those 2 are the only 53 ft GBLs that have been identified so far as being repainted in malachite or BR(S) green.

So, £64000 question, given that the paint was fairly new, so unlikely to be re-painted again soon, do you keep it with SR numbers or number it with a BR number ? 

Edited by Combe Martin