Hornby 2021 - Mk 4 coaching stock with DVTs

AY Mod

4 hours ago, Wild Boar Fell said:

POS was Pullman Open Smoking.

There are still the partitions but not the doors from what I remember. Seem to recall the TOE had similar at the loco end of the saloon.

Data panels do match the Evesholt website, I have photos of each panel type somewhere.

I'd go along with that. The first few refurbs had a swing door splitting the TOE into smoking and non smoking but the law changed in Scotland quite a while ahead of the ban on smoking indoors in England so GNER had to fall into line with the rest of the world (having retained smoking longer than most, if not all) and ban smoking, so the doors were either not fitted or removed on later refurbs. 

SV became so ingrained in the mindset on ECML that some referred to the HST 407xx as SV, which of course it was never classified as such. 

9 hours ago, guarded said:

Thank you!So that A and B variation completes the coaches I take it?

Apparently yes; I was told earlier (I think in this topic) that there should be R40156, R40156A and R40156B which should give you three of the ten vehicles (nine coaches plus the DVT) needed to make a full mark 4 set. We think/hope that the descriptions given on the image are incorrect (coach letters were different and the SV (kitchen) was first class not standard) and the actual models will be correct.

Hornby appear to have revised the listings for the TfW Mark 4 coaches on their web site.  The listings shown on the 5 January launch just didn't make sense for a TfW rake, with spurious coach letters, types and descriptions.

They seem to have dropped R40184 (coach type K),  R40186 (coach type M),  R40187B (coach type D) and R40188 (coach type F).

The remaining models have also been allocated proposed coach running numbers.

Chris

• Thanks 1

The BR coaches now seem to be:

BR, Mk4 Standard, Coach A, - R40191

BR, Mk4 Standard, Coach C - R40156A

BR, Mk4 Standard, Coach D - R40156B

BR, Mk4 Standard, Coach E - R40156

BR, Mk4 Standard (accessible toilet), Coach F - R40159

BR, Mk4 Restaurant First, Coach G, - R40160

BR, Mk4 Open First, Coach H, - R40152

BR, Mk4 Open First, Coach K, - R40154

BR, Mk4 DVT - R40161

Hornby have announced corrections to their 2021 range of new tooled MK4 coaches in Transport for Wales Livery as these are formed into 4 coach plus Driving Van Trailer (DVT) sets.

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/n/32/Hornby-amend-Transport-for-Wales-Mk4-coaches-included-within-their-2021-range

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

23 hours ago, InterCity80s said:

Wonder where Coach B has gone?

20 hours ago, Global said:

To do a 9 coach IC they’d need to add a R40156C I think?

The original (uncorrected) image listed an R40153, but the Hornby website is now showing an R40156C instead as you suggest.

• Thanks 2

Cheers. That wasn't there yesterday so now we have the full rake:

BR, Mk4 Standard, Coach A - R40191

BR, Mk4 Standard, Coach B - R40156C

BR, Mk4 Standard, Coach C - R40156A

BR, Mk4 Standard, Coach D - R40156B

BR, Mk4 Standard, Coach E - R40156

BR, Mk4 Standard (accessible toilet), Coach F - R40159

BR, Mk4 Restaurant First, Coach G - R40160

BR, Mk4 Open First, Coach H - R40152

BR, Mk4 Open First, Coach K - R40154

BR, Mk4 DVT - R40161

• Informative/Useful 2

They look generally very good.

Two improvements i can think of is a removable valance on the DVT with an NEM pocket for a coupling on the front (looks like they are not looking to do this just like their mk3 dvt).

And... the windows on the carriage doors look too square to me.

Otherwise, looking good (although I'm not an expert on mk4s)!

21 minutes ago, Class 158 productions said:

Wheels seem to have quite large flanges, hopefully not a repeat of the mk3sds. With casting issues etc

Not sure how you can tell from a cad what the spec is of a flange...

Edited by Ian Fisher
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, daveahudson said:

They look generally very good.

Two improvements i can think of is a removable valance on the DVT with an NEM pocket for a coupling on the front (looks like they are not looking to do this just like their mk3 dvt).

And... the windows on the carriage doors look too square to me.

Otherwise, looking good (although I'm not an expert on mk4s)!

The same two things I picked up on. Other than that we can look forward to a pretty impressive set of models.

26 minutes ago, Class 158 productions said:

Wheels seem to have quite large flanges, hopefully not a repeat of the mk3sds. With casting issues etc

When it comes to CAD, unless there's something obviously different with the wheels (like those used on the generic 4/6 wheeled coaches), they'll most likely use a stock file which doesn't necessarily reflect what will be used (like their stock wheelsets, assuming the Mk4s don't have disc brakes on the outer).

Furthermore since the only clear CAD image showing the wheels is the last one portraying the DVT has no light source, it is hard to make any judgements on depth. I can clearly see why you think it has deep flanges. But to a CAD designer, I can clearly see three faces and a fine flange, but it may look like 2 faces and a deep flange to an untrained or inexperienced eye.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The coaches are looking brilliant, including the DVT; high hopes for a good quality product to have a little display set.

I was wondering about the TSOE though. Shouldn't these coaches have roof vents near the blanking plate? Cannot remember if they are together or offset, keep getting confused between the standard smoking vents and the first class vents. :P